What is the difference between record and document?

SheiLaJP

Involved In Discussions
Hi guys,

I just want to know what is the difference between record and document?. An example is that, I am a bit confused whenever we create our records management table some process owners ask me if the procedures manual can be included in out records management table then I told them "no" because documents cannot be records. Am i correct?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Big Jim

Super Moderator
A record is a type of document. A record differs from other documents because it provides evidence that you did something correctly.

A blank form is a document and needs to be controlled as a document. Once you start to fill out the form, it becomes a record. You are recording on it.

A manual is not a record, although it might include a record in it, such as a revision history.

I would not list a manual with a record list/register.

yoosuf

Starting to get Involved
Hi,

Documents are written policies, process descriptions, and procedures used to communicate information.
Records are generated when written instructions are followed.
Documents can be revised but records can't be revised.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
yoosuf,

Written instructions are not necessary to complete a record. We may choose to keep a valid record of data, information, evidence, opinion or facts without being told to.

But I agree with you that records should not be changed unless they are inaccurate; in which case the record original record can still be read.

My record keeping here is done now.

John

Last edited:

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
A record is historical evidence of something that happened - past tense, so it is dead - important and needs looking after. A document is alive and needs to be kept alive by making sure the right versions are at the right places.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
A record is a type of document. A record differs from other documents because it provides evidence that you did something correctly.
FTFY :)

A blank form is a document and needs to be controlled as a document. Once you start to fill out the form, it becomes a record. You are recording on it.
Blank forms don't necessarily need to be controlled. It's the information recorded that needs to be controlled. This can be done without controlling the form.

SheiLaJP

Involved In Discussions
Thank you guys for the info.

Another thing, do i need to include in our records management table internal references like safety program, memos, notices, letters, permits?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thank you guys for the info.

Another thing, do i need to include in our records management table internal references like safety program, memos, notices, letters, permits?
Sheila,

Why not?

After all your documented filing and archiving procedure (records management table) is meant to be helpful for making sure any useful record is retrievable by authorized persons and properly disposed of when no longer required.

To exclude certain records would suggest the procedure is a chore just to get or keep certification.

John

qualityfox

Involved In Discussions
if the procedures manual can be included in out records management table
We include archived procedures in our records management. We keep 3 past revisions. Once a procedure (work instruction) is revised, the previous version becomes a record of how something was done previously. In my career, I have found numerous times that old versions were consulted when issues were encountered.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Is there any difference between QUALITY SYSTEM RECORD & QUALITY MANUAL 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Any difference between nonconformance report and record? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
D The difference between a Document and a Record? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Difference between Record and Quality Record ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D The Difference between a Document and a Record - Training Plan Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
S Definition Form vs. Record - What is the Difference between a Form and a Record Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 63
X The Difference between a Document and a Record Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
H Difference between Stainless Steel 316 ASTM F899 and ASTM A276 Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
A Exact terms for a plating failure and difference between rejection rate and failure rate Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
M Difference between MSA and MSE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
gramps What is the difference between discrete and continuous variables? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
JoCam Difference between Approval and Registration - ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Difference between EU-MDR Annex IX and the Annex-combo X&XI EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T ISO 17025:2017 Clause 4.2.2 - The difference between "be notified" and "be informed" ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
Jimmy123 What is the difference between Error Proofing and Controls? ISO/IATF 16949 - Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 16
C IEC 60601-1-8, difference between table 4 and annex D IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
A What is the difference between Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q What is the difference between AS9100D 9.3.2.f and 9.3.3.a AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Aluminum - What is the difference between 6061-T6 and 6061-T651 (both per ASTM B211)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P What is the exact difference between Risk and Opportunity in context of ISO 27001? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S Difference between Surface Finish (Ra) and Flatness (GD&T) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
O Air Flow - Which is the operational difference between LAF (vertical and horizontal) and RLAF? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S What the difference is between Stub Acme & Acme thread? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S DO 178B - What is the difference between review and verification? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
T The difference between SOP and Kaizen Standardization Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K Difference between intended purpose and intended use of the device EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Q What is the difference between normal and licensed internal auditor? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 9
J What is the difference between Process Variation and Tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
O Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Difference between an Advisory Notice (ISO 13485) and a Field Safety Notice? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Difference between "data analysis" and "management review" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
qualprod What is the difference between 7.4.1 (2008) and 8.4.1 (2015)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Difference between uncertainty and expanded uncertainty of measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S EASA Part 145 - The difference between non-certifying staff and Certifying staff Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
S The difference between a Medical Device Accessory and Component Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S What is the difference between a service request and a complaint? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I What is the difference between OOS/OOT Imported Legacy Blogs 3
A Definition Difference between Quality System Procedure and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
Q Difference between Monitor & Measurement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T QA vs. RA - The difference between QA and RA Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
A Difference between Discrimination and Least Count IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Difference between Medical Electrical Equipment and Medical Equipment System IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Usability Standard - The difference between IEC 60601-1-6 to IEC 62336 Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
S What is the difference between Verification and Validation of Test Reports? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Difference between ISO 9001:2015 Clauses 8.1 and 8.5.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.2 vs 8.6.5 - Is there any difference between these clauses? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C What is the difference between "Overall Risk" and "Risk"? (ISO 14971) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10