What is the difference between record and document?

S

SheiLaJP

Hi guys,

I just want to know what is the difference between record and document?. An example is that, I am a bit confused whenever we create our records management table some process owners ask me if the procedures manual can be included in out records management table then I told them "no" because documents cannot be records. Am i correct?

Big Jim

Admin
A record is a type of document. A record differs from other documents because it provides evidence that you did something correctly.

A blank form is a document and needs to be controlled as a document. Once you start to fill out the form, it becomes a record. You are recording on it.

A manual is not a record, although it might include a record in it, such as a revision history.

I would not list a manual with a record list/register.

Y

yoosuf

Hi,

Documents are written policies, process descriptions, and procedures used to communicate information.
Records are generated when written instructions are followed.
Documents can be revised but records can't be revised.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
yoosuf,

Written instructions are not necessary to complete a record. We may choose to keep a valid record of data, information, evidence, opinion or facts without being told to.

But I agree with you that records should not be changed unless they are inaccurate; in which case the record original record can still be read.

My record keeping here is done now.

John

Last edited:

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
A record is historical evidence of something that happened - past tense, so it is dead - important and needs looking after. A document is alive and needs to be kept alive by making sure the right versions are at the right places.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
A record is a type of document. A record differs from other documents because it provides evidence that you did something correctly.

FTFY :)

A blank form is a document and needs to be controlled as a document. Once you start to fill out the form, it becomes a record. You are recording on it.
Blank forms don't necessarily need to be controlled. It's the information recorded that needs to be controlled. This can be done without controlling the form.

S

SheiLaJP

Thank you guys for the info.

Another thing, do i need to include in our records management table internal references like safety program, memos, notices, letters, permits?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Thank you guys for the info.

Another thing, do i need to include in our records management table internal references like safety program, memos, notices, letters, permits?

Sheila,

Why not?

After all your documented filing and archiving procedure (records management table) is meant to be helpful for making sure any useful record is retrievable by authorized persons and properly disposed of when no longer required.

To exclude certain records would suggest the procedure is a chore just to get or keep certification.

John

Q

qualityfox

if the procedures manual can be included in out records management table

We include archived procedures in our records management. We keep 3 past revisions. Once a procedure (work instruction) is revised, the previous version becomes a record of how something was done previously. In my career, I have found numerous times that old versions were consulted when issues were encountered.

T

Trueman

FTFY :)

Blank forms don't necessarily need to be controlled. It's the information recorded that needs to be controlled. This can be done without controlling the form.

can be done without controlling the form? can you be more specific? thanks

Top Bottom