What is the difference between Verification and Validation of Test Reports?

S

sunnycosta

I was going through 8.4.2 of the AS9100D standard and found the following new requirements:
1) New requirement: Verification activities of externally provided processes, products and services shall be performed according to the risks identified by the organization. These shall include inspection or periodic testing, as applicable, when there is a high risk of nonconformities including counterfeit parts.

2) When external provider test reports are utilized to verify externally provided products, the organization shall implement a process to evaluate the data in the test reports to confirm that the product meets requirements. When a customer or organization has identified raw material as a significant operational risk (e.g. critical item), the organization shall implement a process to validate the accuracy of test reports.

3) When the organization delegates verification activities to the external provider, the scope and requirements for delegation shall be defined…..

My questions:
Point 1 and 2 above :
What is the difference between verification and validation of test reports? – Does it mean that verification is going through the test reports, UT, C of C etc and stamping them as verified? And does validation means that my organization should send out a sample of the material that has already been verified by its Raw material supplier to a lab for testing again?

Point 1 : What does periodic testing mean? Our raw material which comes in batches with heat lot number and are always accompanied by test reports, C of C tensile test, hardness test, UT reports.

Point 3: What is “ scope” in point 3 above?

What has changed in 8.4.2 from the old 7.4.3?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Point 3: What is “ scope” in point 3 above?
Let's imagine that a structural part has to undergo final inspection and testing and it consists of a thorough dimensional inspection, followed by a load test and non-destructive examination.

Customer might authorize a representative from the supplier to perform the dimensional inspection, but require that load test and NDE to be performed upon receipt at the customer's premises. So, the scope of delegation in this example is "dimensional inspection only".

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Point 1 : What does periodic testing mean? Our raw material which comes in batches with heat lot number and are always accompanied by test reports, C of C tensile test, hardness test, UT reports.

Periodic testing are determined by the organization, based upon risks. You could have the review every 5,6,7, or 10th lot of material received.

The Organization needs to identify the testing, independent of the results of the Supplier.

Just my opinion.

Top Bottom