What is the Future of Quality Consulting?

• Thread starter Sebastian Szymanski
  • Start date
S

Sebastian Szymanski

Hello all,

Currently in Poland there are 5 000 certified companies, and another 7 000 are on their way to the certification. The whole market is estimated on 20 000, including SME's.

The market is shrinking every day.

Recently I was asked about the future of quality consultants, that specialized in ISO 9000 implementation, and I pass this question to you - how it looks like in more mature countries. What quality consultants do ? What is the market? What kind of products they offer? What is the demand for their products?

Regards
Sebastian Szymanski

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Diversification is the answer. Be able to provide services beyond Quality. Things like :
*Project Management
*Safety
*Environmental
*Human Resources
*Finance (in the news a little right now)
*Process improvement
*Security (another biggy right now)
*Human factors engineering

and others.

Consultants need to be a "Jack of all trades" to make it.

M

M Greenaway

I think if the quality consulants keep harping on that we dont have to do anything for ISO9001 certification, which may well be true, and that we only have to do things that suit us, then they may well shoot themselves in the foot as they obviously therefore have no service to offer us.

S

Sebastian Szymanski

Thanks,
I think the same. For me , ISO 9k is only the first step to the ;real quality', but sometimes I wonder if it is not the last one for most of the polish companies.

Very often (especially in SME's) I feel that my solutions are far beyond what they really want to do. They want only certification nothing more.

Regards
Sebastian

M

M Greenaway

Nope.

But are we trying to inflict 'big company' systems on SME's ?

Bearing in mind that lines of communication are often far better the smaller the company, often formal systems are really unnecessary arent they ?

It it weren't for changes

One thing that helps are the changes and upgrades to registrations. Unfortunately for me, most of the companies I worked with for 1994, decided they could go to 2K without my assistance. I think Martin said once that we (consultants) need to be constantly working our selves out of a job. That is very true. Then, as the market shrinks the consultant pool will also shrink because prices will drop and those that are in it for the buck will go elsewhere.

Bearing in mind that lines of communication are often far better the smaller the company, often formal systems are really unnecessary arent they ?
Martin, we shouldn’t go around giving too many secrets away. As the market shrinks, we want to keep your comments to ourselves. That way, we can better meet the needs of our clients and we can stick around. :smokin:

Each company I work with will have a completely different look and feel to the QMS or EMS. Although I use templates, I do so with the concept the client might be able to glean some information from the template. One company I worked with had over 150 separate procedures. One had less than one inch of total documentation (including work instructions).

A

amanbhai

future of Quality consulting

Most companies are ISO 9000 certified (those which needs or wants to). For ISO 9001:2000 most of the companies don't need any substantial consultant help. Almost the same story is ISO 14000 certification. There are more consultants than needed in the market & because its not a rocket science, specially for ISO 9001, that's why companies feel they can do that easily. I agree with Randy that you have be jack in other fields too to stay in the business.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Coach, Facilitator, Mentor

I think that the future of quality or Business Management System consulting will be more along the lines of the consultant being a coach / facilitator / mentor. Don't get me wrong, the "Do" factor will still be there..."Do get us registered to XXXXX", but a successful consultant will be one that can start the play and then pass the ball. The effectiveness of the consultant will be measured in the client's ability to run with the ball.

If a system falls apart because the consultant is no longer there, then the person was really an employee in consultant's clothing.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Seems like it is a good market. Of course, it depends upon what you are offering. Los Alamos National Laboratory just paid my employer (Fluor) to send me down there to give SPC training. I've often mulled over if I should branch out on my own, but so far Fluor has been a good place to base operations out of. I've got a fair amount of flexibility to take on new tasks and provide training within Fluor so it seems to be the best of both worlds.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Any future for someone working as Lead Quality right these days? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D What's the future of supplier quality engineer for your worklife? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
AnaMariaVR2 Emergence ? 2011 Future of Quality Study [ASQ] The Reading Room 4
A Advice for future QM (Quality Manager) in automotive Career and Occupation Discussions 29
U The Future of Quality Management Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 13
Q Future hopeful lead ISO Quality Auditor - Please help me here on my quest Career and Occupation Discussions 31
H A future in Health Care and Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 12
ccochran The future of quality training - What training do you expect in your organization? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 30
Marc Integrated Quality, Safety and Environmental System management - The Future? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Marc The Future of Quality - An Early Discussion Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 11
D What foreign language proficiency would give the biggest edge to medical device regulatory affairs professionals in the world today or in future? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
Ronen E Informational The future of MEDDEV 2.7/1 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Informational Technology and innovation of human implants | Panel for the Future of Science and Technology (STOA) | European Parliament Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna IAQG News Future AS9147- Management of Unsalvageable Parts - Previous scrap parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K Reviewing a supplier's ISO 9001 certificate issued for a future date Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
Sidney Vianna The Future of Spaceship Earth - The UN Sustainable Development Goals Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
Marc The Future of Geothermal Energy Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
M The future of ISO 14971:2007 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Future of ISO 14971 - Possible revision? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
F Future Plan for IMDS (International Material Data System) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
J Potential Customers Asking for EIRs / 483s when evaluating a CRO for future work US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Future as an AS9100/NADCAP Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Marc Annex SL - Format for Future ISO Management System Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
8 New Job Presentation on my findings and plans for future Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
Marc The future of 3-D Printing Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
S What is the future of ISO 50001 EnMS (Energy Management Systems)? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
somashekar BAA (Buy American Act) and the future of Asian Economy Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 15
G The future of the Process Approach to Auditing General Auditing Discussions 10
Marc Predicting the Future through 19th Century French Post Cards Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
P Contract up in 1.5 months - How to approach my manager to discuss the future Career and Occupation Discussions 15
M Future revision of ANVISA RDC 59 - Brazilian GMP Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 14
automoto How ISO 9001 could look in the future - ISO 9001 revision (Guide 83) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Future Materials Storage Issue: Is this a finding? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
8 Introducing a Balance Line - Identifying potential future pitfalls etc. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
AnaMariaVR2 QbD, PAT, and the Future of Microbiology Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
AnaMariaVR2 QA's negligence threatens Ranbaxy's future revenue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
SteelMaiden What does the future hold for nuclear power? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
Sidney Vianna Future ISO 9001 Variations: "Lighter" and "Higher Level" Versions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Marc An iMac "Touch" in the future? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Sidney Vianna The ISO 9000 ecosystem - a clear(?) vision for the future of the ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
rob73 Possible future of IFU (Instruction for Use)? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M The near future will be better? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
B CQI-14 (Consumer-Centric Warranty Management) certification required in the future? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
arios If the estimates are correct Mexico could win a future Soccer World Cup Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 19
Marc Riding the Electromagnetic Wave of the Future World News 4
U eVaro-Future Hybrid Sportscar World News 0
Sidney Vianna The Future Structure of ISO Management System Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 61
R The Future of ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Marc The Future - G.E.?s Breakthrough Can Put 100 DVDs on a Disc After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Future of Harley-Davidson World News 74