What is the least acceptable TAR value? Mettler UMX2 micro balance - Class E2 weights

Hi gang,
I've run into a pickle with performing calibrations on some precision Mettler UMX2 micro balances. I have class E2 weights that were recommended by Mettler to calibrate the balance on a regular schedule. We calibrate the balances using the differential method. If you look at the specs for the UMX2 micro balance, it's enough to make your hair stand on end:
Linearity: ±0.004mg
Repeatability: 0.0009mg
Resolution: 0.001mg

Using class E2 weights, my cal ratio is 2.82:1 based on the uncertainties of the weight and resolution of the balance. Going to class E1 is not that much better. What are minimum TAR values that you can accept? I've read that 1.5:1 is OK if you use guardbandding, but in my case, I'm using the entire range of the balance. Thoughts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Actually, there is no absolute minimum for TAR, or for TUR either. ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994 specifies a 4:1, but less than a 4:1 will require stated uncertainties.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Hershal said:
Actually, there is no absolute minimum for TAR, or for TUR either. ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994 specifies a 4:1, but less than a 4:1 will require stated uncertainties.

Hope this helps.

Hershal
Hi Hershal. Thanks for your input. When you say "stated uncertainties", does this mean stating the uncertainty of the weight we use along with the TAR (TUR) also?

I'm developing a method to use in our procedures, but it looks like we will have to caclutate this on the calibration certificate, as putting it on a procedure might not be the correct way to handle this, since the uncertainty might change depending on the calibration facility.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, the weight (sometimes also called a Mass standard) is a Type B uncertainty.

You need to also take into account your Type A (the readings) both for repeatability and reproducibility.

Other Type B influences include temp (variation from 20C), eccentricity (where the weight sits on the balance), bouyancy, local acceration of gravity, altitude (this should be minimal effect in Temecula), resolution of the balance, and if the weights are picked up with hands (EVEN WITH THE FINGER COTS OR WHITE GLOVES) there is the thermal coefficient of expansion for the weights.

All these go into developing the stated uncertainties for the calibration of the balance.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Charles Wathen

Involved - Posts
In case anyone is intrested, I received a reply from Robert Brown:
http://www.blogger.com/profile/6367980

Here is his answer:
========================================================
QUESTION: "I'm in the process of developing some type of minimum TAR for Micro Balances. Since the best weight will not guarantee a 4:1 or even a 3:1 ratio, I need to come up with an acceptable level TUR value for these balances."

ANSWER:
TUR is an issue when testing to see if the measured value complies with specifications (a failure could result in an "Out of Tolerance" report).

CASE 1: No Specification Compliance:

If there are no specs for the weights and/or...
1) The weights are only used within your quality system
2) Correction factors are on the calibration report and applied when the wieghts are used.
3) No one depends upon the weights being within a secification of nominal.
Then Out of Tolerance issues do NOT apply. Be sure that the UNCERTAINTY of the Balance measurement (is calculated by squaring the repeatability of the balance, and squaring the uncertainty of the weight we use to check the balance) is DECLARED, and USED when the weight is used to make measurements with declared uncertainties.

CASE 2: Specification of Compliance:

If on the other hand you are verifying that a weight has not drifted too far from a nominal value, and that would result in an out of tolerance condition, then TUR applies. The key problem is that the user of your weight will not be applying correction factors and will be depending upon your assurance and the width of the specification.

In this case,
ISO-17025 p5.10.4.2 "The calibration certificate shall relate only to quantities and the results of functional tests. If a statement of compliance with a specification is made, this shall identify which clauses of the specification are met or not met."

This requirement of ISO-17025 is often interpreted as "guard-banding". In a recent (Aug 17, 2003) paper by David Deaver, "Good, Bad or Indeterminate" there is the only statement that I have seen that refers to least acceptable TUR = 1.5, BE CAREFUL! If you allow a TUR of 1.5 then guard banding will KILL you!! Many false failures will be the result. Dave's recommendation is part of a larger guardbanding strategy (that I support)
1) No guardband if TUR > 4
2) Guard band of 20% for all 1.5 < TUR < 4
3) Calibration NOT ACCEPTABLE if TUR < 1.5

Definition: Guardband
A test limit that is tighter than the actual specification, in order to avoid false pass errors.
========================================================
I also had a good conversation with Robert on the phone (he called me) to get a better clarification of the subject matter. Nice to see people like Robert helping out others in the field of Metrology. Robert L. Brown was presented at the NCSL International 2003 Symposium GUM Uncertainty Analysis With No Greek Letters
http://metrologyforum.tm.agilent.com/uncalc.shtml
In there is a link to his PDF file.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marco Bernardi MMC & LMC modifiers and CMM measuring techniques like diameter least squares and circularity or minimum/ maximum diameter Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
A Does Least-squares (LSQ) simulate perfect roundness? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q Does our material suppliers’ supplier have to be at least ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Informational USFDA Final Guidance – The Least Burdensome Provisions: Concept and Principles Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Least squares estimate, regression model and corresponding residuals Using Minitab Software 13
A Difference between Discrimination and Least Count IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I IEC 60601-1 Least Favourable Working Conditions for Medical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
somashekar How many trials at least ... Brain Teasers and Puzzles 1
S API Std 620 vs. API 650 standard? Which is the least restrictive in designing a tank? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I Partial Least Square Regression Result - Question Using Minitab Software 3
P Name at least 25 out of 100+ world known personalities in the painting Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
E Interpreting Partial Least Square Results Using Minitab Software 1
A Linear Least Squares in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
J Quality Manual Internal Audit at least once prior to certification audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Where does least significant digit come into play? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
S The Logic behind Tolerance vs. Least Count 1/10 Ratio General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
J At least he is wearing his safety glasses Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
ScottK It'll increase your short term memory by at least 15% Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
C Least count thumb rule - Stone walling SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
R NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) - How I can get at least Level 1 certified? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
J 8-D for mislabels - How to prevent, or at least detect, mislabels Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
P The difference between Gage Discrimination and Least Count Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Need Help: ISO 2692/AMD1:1992 (ISO 2692:1988) Least Material Requirement Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
I Are all your forms referenced at least once in your procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Requirement for SPC on at least 1 characteristic on all parts? APQP and PPAP 5
A Measurement system that has a Least Count of 1/10th of the tolerance General Auditing Discussions 5
N Product Audits - Is it a requirement to measure at least 3 parts? General Auditing Discussions 4
D Trying to elimate, or at least severely decrease, our incoming inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
W Misinterpretation of requirement acceptable as root cause? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Measurement Error - How to determine what is acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M Are Fungal counts acceptable in class 1000 clean rooms? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
T ISO 14971-2019 doubt - Evaluate if estimated risks are acceptable ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
samer Acceptable limits for Spills - Tracking Hydraulic Spills ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
V Acceptable maximum RSD (relative standard deviation) for an sample size Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Q Acceptable calibration accuracy of a 60" linear measuring device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q Is it acceptable to mix components from two different lots into an assembly? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Acceptable NDC for %GR&R part inspection to Tolerance (%Tolerance) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Risk Register - have we considered enough and is the format acceptable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Operator Checks - How to show that they were completed on a checklist as acceptable IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Example Work Instruction/Procedure for AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
S Dates on Labels acceptable to the USA - GS1 General Specification 3.4.4 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
E Root Cause Analysis - Is Insufficient Understanding an acceptable Root Cause? General Auditing Discussions 9
W Unattached (stand-alone) Forms acceptable for AS9100C? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
V Why Gauge R&R 10% is acceptable for variable instruments ? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
X Acceptable methods to store and archive records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Is it acceptable to audit to the Nuclear Principles? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
I Is it acceptable it is to list new products under an existing 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 14