What is the minimum standard for automotive component traceability?

Jim R

Registered
What is the minimum standard for automotive component traceability? For example, an axle manufacturer pin stamps a shift, line, julian date and part number, but does not put a part unique serial number on the part. This makes containing suspect parts much more difficult than it has to be. My question is, is a part unique number a regulatory requirement for critical components?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
That depends. Can your unique part number allow you to trace the part all the way back to the raw material? I don't think that it is a regulatory requirement, but traceability back through the entire supply chain is. What specifically does your CSR's say about traceability requirements for critical components?

The goal of traceability is being able to track a part all the way back through the supply chain to the raw material. From your example, if your customer contacted you with a material related failure, could you take the stamped information and track it back to a specific batch/heat of steel? If you can't do that, then the amount of potential risk the company can be exposed to increases substantially - especially if there is a recall situation. How confident is the company, that should there be a problem, the raw material can be identified and then followed back up through the chain to identify any other possible suspect finished goods?

Hope this helps!

Jim R

Registered
Thank you for taking the time to answer me. I didn't have my standards with me yesterday and I thought that I could get a quick answer through here. I have since found out it is in IATF 8.5.2.1. The standard states (paraphrased) that safety critical components must at a minimum have a part unique lot trace number. A serial number is only required if it is a CSR.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Is there a minimum industry standard for PpK ? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A Standard or minimum requirement governing Certificates of Analysis/Conformance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
B DPPM - 'Standard' minimum quantity to measure DPPM? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
shimonv Minimum 60601 requirements for a clinical trial IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
M Applicability of IEC 60950-1 Table K2 - Minimum clearances between circuits Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Characterization Testing - NO acceptance criteria, no minimum performance requirement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K Is minimum repair or replace guarantee period for medical devices in EU the same as consumer guarantee law of 2 years? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Designing the experiment with minimum run Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Designing the experiment with minimum run Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
JoshuaFroud Change Control - Minimum Requirements and Unhappy Staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
J IATF Minimum Automotive Quality Management System Requirements for Sub-Tier Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
N ETO Sterilisation Validation - EO Residual Minimum Sample Requirement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F Regulatory Compliant Quality Management System - Bare Minimum EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S What is the minimum pressure differential required for ISO Class 8 Clean Room? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
somashekar ISO 13485 plus ISO 9001:2015 will now attract a minimum 2 day upgrade audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
J Minimum staff per 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D What is the minimum Sample Size for Weibull Analysis Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 12
K What are the minimum requirements for Process Validation (Software)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Battery Powered Beauty Products minimum Legal Certifications Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
B What is the minimum sample required for Performance Evaluation for IVD ? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Minimum requirements/experience/qualifications to be head of quality Career and Occupation Discussions 6
R Minimum Essential Receiving Inspection (M.E.R.I.) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S What is the minimum samples required for Customer Survey? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
J Minimum number of parts to do an attribute gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
I Minimum and Maximum Validation Batch Size Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
A Minimum Number of Parts for Attribute (Go / NoGo) Data Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Minimum documents required by AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
N Minimum Design factor for CE Marking for machinery CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Minitab Sample Size Calculation: 1 Sample t vs Minimum Sample Size for Means Using Minitab Software 3
G Why for a Shewhart chart the minimum feasible value for APL is 2401 units? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A Minimum Testing Requirements for a Clear Protective Equipment Barrier (Class II 510K) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
V Critical Characteristics - Capability for a Minimum Specification APQP and PPAP 6
BradM What is the minimum size chamber for mapping? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Minimum Organization Structure to support TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Minimum content required in a Quality Manual as per ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
A ISO 13485 Supplier Monitoring Minimum Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
T New Packaging Line Performance Qualification (PQ) - Minimum Test Times ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
F How to calculate the minimum Value of Mass needed for Scales Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
W ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) Minimum Requirements or Shalls Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
JoCam Equipment Guarding - Safe Distance - Is there a specified minimum distance? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
F How to Calculate Cpk with only a Minimum Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
H SOP containing Minimum Requirements for Master Production Record US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S What is the 10d in the owner's manual for a balance's minimum weight? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Questions pertaining to our last audit - Fix or Minimum Document Retention time? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Minimum US FDA Labeling Requirements for a Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
K Minimum Requirements for Effective Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G What are the Minimum Requirements of a Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 12
J Internal Quality Auditor Minimum Requirements Internal Auditing 48
C Minimum Requirements for Suppliers without ISO 9001 or TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8