What is the Risk of Using Obsolete Versions of C=0 & ANSI/ ASQ Z1.4 Sampling Plans?

malvalos

Registered
Hi everyone,

First time posting in the forum. I work currently in a medical device manufacturing plan where we use typically C=0 & ANSI/ ASQ Z1.4 standards for sampling plans. Instead of using the 2008 & 2018 versions respectively, we use the 1994 & 2003 ones.

Is there any inherent risk in using prior versions (audit and acceptance activities wise) or is it still acceptable to use them?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I still used MIL-STD 105D on the job. No problem there as long as I documented to the client what I was doing. I have seen that nothing much has changed over the years about those sampling plans, except what you have to pay for them.

Enghabashy

Quite Involved in Discussions
MIL-STD 105D is basic , the formal BS 6001& 6002 , ISO 2859 -1& 2 " attributes & variables ", please be informed that some QMS Requirements as Automotive IATF 16949 is stated a requirement of : Zero error ; this mean that if when you outline single sampling plan like 125 (1,2) ' it should transfer to 125(0,1) ---

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thanks Jim, that would be a lot in which we accept if 0 defects are detected in the sample.
OK, thanks. It's a case of using C=0 with ANSI/ ASQ Z1.4 . You ask about "inherent risk," and whether or not there is inherent risk involves things not in evidence here. Do you have customer requirements that specify using only the current version? Why would you not have the current version? As Steve points out, MIL-STD 105D (or E) is still in use in some companies. The math itself hasn't changed. If the sampling plan you're using is adequate for your needs and is followed consistently, there should be no problem in the absence of external requirements.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Not sure if the OP means he is using a true C=0 plan like Squeglia's, or Z1.4 as the sample size and setting C=0 which is not a good thing to do.

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
Also in relation to the release dates, I am not sure if there is a huge difference in that? Since you were asking if it was okay to use an older date version - I can't tell you what or if there were revisions to the calculation between those timeframes.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I know a lot of places that use Z1.4 as a zero acceptance plan so they really use it just to get a sample size. A lot. Most have never heard of Squeglia.
I have Squeglia's Fifth edition which is still current - I believe that's 2008 - but there is not change history in the book

Here's a thread about what may have changed on Z1.4-2003 in 2018
ASQ/ANSI Z1.4–2003 (R2018) Change Log?

Squeglia is $56.00... $39.20 for ASQ members.
Z1.4 is $159 member price, $199 for non-members.

I'd put a PO in for current revs.

Top Bottom