What is the use of bar code? The Potential Effects of Missing Bar Code Labels

S

solon

I work for a auto parts company.And now I'm working on a P-FEMA paper.
When it comes to the bar code labelling, I cannot explain the potential effects of missing bar code labelling clearly. If anyone know the answer?
I want get help from you!!

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: What is the use of bar code ?

1st ....Welcome:bigwave:

Here is the Google/Wikipedia answer.......

A barcode (also bar code) is a machine-readable representation of information (usually dark ink on a light background to create high and low reflectance which is converted to 1s and 0s). Originally, barcodes stored data in the widths and spacings of printed parallel lines, but today they also come in patterns of dots, concentric circles, and text codes hidden within images. Barcodes can be read by optical scanners called barcode readers or scanned from an image by special software. Barcodes are widely used to implement Auto ID Data Capture (AIDC) systems that improve the speed and accuracy of computer data entry.

BradM

Leader
Admin

Welcome to the Cove!:bigwave:

I'm not sure I totally understand your question. I assume that you ship automotive parts in containers. You are asking what is the potential harm if the bar code is not on the package?

As far as any potential effects, I would suggest it depends on how much the bar code is used in the Supply Chain. Is it used for shipping/billing? How many Supply Chain decisions are based on the bar code scans?

Is your query related to no bar code, bar code that cannot be read, or possible misread of the bar code?

I know with FDA, the risk is pretty high, as all product has to be traceable. Not sure if that is the same with automotive.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

I work for a auto parts company.And now I'm working on a P-FEMA paper.
When it comes to the bar code labelling, I cannot explain the potential effects of missing bar code labelling clearly. If anyone know the answer?
I want get help from you!!

To enable us to help you explain the potential effects, you'll need to let us know what you use the bar codes for.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Actually,it is labelled on the single product,and a lot marking is also on the product.So I want to know the relationship between the lot marking and the bar code,does they have the same use or there are some difference?

We have no way of knowing the relationship you're asking about. You've asked,
  • What is the use of bar code?
  • ...the potential effects of missing bar code labelling [sic] clearly.
  • ...the relationship between the lot marking and the bar code...
It appears that you're asking hypothetical questions. If you explain a little more about what you're trying to accomplish you'll have a better chance of getting help.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

It records the part No.

If your problems are the potential effects of a missing bar code number or sticker, then it's no problem. Just return the part to the store and get the responsible party to affix the correct bar code.

My experience with auto parts retailing is that the problem is elsewhere:

• wrong code number affixed
  • mix up code numbers for same part but manufactured by different OEM's.
  • wrong number allocated or number allocated are mixed up.
  • wrong number affixed to same part but different 'model year' or mixed up of number allocated to same part but different models, same model but different production year........... and so on.

Even if you are using the universal 'bar code', a number of things are left to the individual company to control and allocate. So, it's best to talk to the administrator of bar-codes in each organization to understand how they work.

If you want to know more about: How UPC Bar Codes Work, click here to read more.

Top Bottom