What is your favorite source for buying more RAM?

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
I've come to realize that my pc at home needs more RAM, but I've never bought any so I don't know the "best" place to go for things tech. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance....:bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Benjamin28

Typically I buy through www.newegg.com. They just recently had a newsletter offer with some decent prices on desktop ram :D

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I've come to realize that my pc at home needs more RAM, but I've never bought any so I don't know the "best" place to go for things tech. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance....:bigwave:
I've had good luck with both Kingston and Crucial. Both offer simple methods for determining the right products for your system. Once you find out what it is you need, you might also try eBay.

Randy

Super Moderator
Kingston is good, I also look to Computer Direct, which sells Kingston and other brands at reduced prices many times.

I stay away from Best Buy here in Ft. Smith because they have the worst customer service and sales staff I've ever seen in a store...this includes Wal Mart

Gidget: How much Ram do you have at this time, and what are you aiming for?

I suppose I should mention that I never had a single problem with any RAM of any kind, regardless of brand, so I agree with Randy: That makes price, customer service and sales staff the deciding factors. I recently added another 2Gb to my setup btw (4Gb now): Kingston this time...

/Claes

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
me too. I buy almost all my PC hardware from newegg.
Hello ScottK,

We have purchased all our IT equipment from them. They never disappointed us. Great quality, great prices, fantastic delivery.

(Disclaimer: I am not connected with this company.)

Stijloor.

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
Gidget: How much Ram do you have at this time, and what are you aiming for?

I suppose I should mention that I never had a single problem with any RAM of any kind, regardless of brand, so I agree with Randy: That makes price, customer service and sales staff the deciding factors. I recently added another 2Gb to my setup btw (4Gb now): Kingston this time...

/Claes
Claes,

Right now I have (now, please don't laugh) 256 MB, and I would LOVE to bring it up 1GB without breaking the bank. I looked at NewEgg's web site and think I found a good deal, but haven't decided for sure just yet. I just want my home pc to run faster and load web pages and do stuff faster than it does now. Currently, I have to wait anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute or two for a page to load, depending on the site.

How does Wintec compare to some other brands out there? I read the reviews on this one (Wintec) and everyone was pleased with its performance and everything, and of course the price was really great ($45.99 for 1GB 2x512MB, I think it was).

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far. I'm still reading the posts! :agree1:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Claes,
Currently, I have to wait anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute or two for a page to load, depending on the site.
With what type of connection? What operating system? Regardless of the answers to those questions, you're bound to see an improvement by increasing the amount of RAM you have, but you might not need a gigabyte. I have a desktop running XP with 512MB and it does just fine. I have a DSL connection, but I also run Photoshop, a notorious RAM hog, and it's not unacceptably slow.

G

Gert Sorensen

I buy mine on QXL, does that count? We have three computers at home aged between 3 and 5 years :( , so RAM for those are way too expensive when buying at a retailer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S What is your favorite Usability Risk Analysis tool? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Ninja Favorite (oft used) sayings... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
Marc Twilight Zone - What is your favorite Episode? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
F What is your favorite software for ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It Depends,? Part 2 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It depends,? Part 1 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
G What is your favorite flavor of GUM? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
QMMike My favorite Dilbert strip Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
Hershal Favorite Recipes..... Share your favorite recipes Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Stijloor No Traffic Jams Anymore - My Favorite Bank Card Ad. Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
Kales Veggie Favorite Podcasts Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
B Favorite Funny Images.... Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 16
D Favorite Classical Music work? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 28
ScottK Where's your favorite place for Lunch? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 36
ScottK What companies have been your favorite customers? (a pleasure to work with) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
N Receiving inspection: Part and Vendor history - your favorite format/application? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
I AFIs Top 100 Film Quotes - What are your favorite movie lines? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 52
Hershal Favorite haunts - Our favorite feeding toughs and/or watering holes Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
C Your Favorite Movie Business Theme Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
T Document numbering - What is your favorite identification scheme? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 31
R Some of my favorite Oxymorons (for Claes) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 21
T What is Your Favorite Format for Systems and Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
G Storing Source Code and Coding Platform Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
R IEC 60601-2-57 light source classification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
J Starting a Weibull Analysis: Source on how to perform Weibull Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
A IEC 60601 11.2.2.1 Risk of Fire in an Oxygen Rich Environment, Source of Ignition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L IEC 62368-1 / Electrical Energy Source vs. Power Source? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
F Electrical Metrology (Source/Generation and Measurement) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Supplier Controls we can place on Single-Source Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Time source for paper-based documentation (research nurses) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
C Looking for source of silicone contamination in ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Ron Rompen Source needed for Spline Form gauge (GO and NOGO members) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
PastorBee13 Source for the blades for Reef Snap Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Source of QMS templates including templates for design verification/design validation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Ed Panek Sensitive Supplier Issue - Single source supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
H Gamma Irradiation - dose audit and source replenishment Other Medical Device Related Standards 18
I Uncalibrated source to calibrated meter, then compare to UUT General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T Definition Sole source VS. Single Source - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
P Datron/Wavetek 4808 Option 70 Wideband Source - User and Service Manuals needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Source of practice to Evaluate Risks? (ISO 9001:2015) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
E Source for The Enforcement Regulations in English - Article 228-20 Japan Medical Device Regulations 8
R FAI (First Article Inspection) on source-controlled parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
E PMDA Act, Nov 2014 revisions - source in English? Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
A Reference Source for Polarity Symbol Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
J Legal source to purchase a copy of the 9001:2015 Draft ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Crusader Calibration Source not ISO 17025 accredited ISO 17025 related Discussions 6