Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

What kind of information you provide when conducting QMS Orientation?

C

Chance

Hi Everyone,

I am conducting QMS Orientation to all new employees every month. I created a PPT presentation that includes the following information:
A.
1. Overview of ISO 9001
2. ISO Required procedures
3. Details of our ISO 9001 certification - when and who certified us
4. Our quality policy

B.
1. QMS Overview
2. Overview of our SOP's
3. Why we need QMS, how does it help us, common link to QMS = people
4. Who is responsible for Quality

I take all of your comments positively so please feel free to leave your comments.

Thanks.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
What you listed can all be covered in 5 minutes. What really matters is how the employee fits into the QMS (what you can teach), and how the QMS responds to the employee (what you can impact - like two-way communication and system building).

When auditing people in a company I always struggle with the awareness of quality policy thing. I feel like people are being expected to recite the policy like a sonnet or Pledge of Allegiance. Such is nonsense. What matters is identifying what the employee perceives as his/her role in providing/supporting customer satisfaction. It can provide some insight to whether or not the organization is succeeding in making this employee believe in his/her role. That is the system challenge, whereas training people to regurgitate some slogans is a training challenge, and in my view what is sometimes called window dressing.
:2cents:

A

AndrewRSundaresan

Hi Chance,

The best way to outline your deck is to think about what your customers want/need to know in their day to day job. What is everyone's share of QMS responsibiltiy, and where specifically does it intersect their normal day-to day lives?

To me Document and Change Control is an important functional component of QMS, so it might be good to mention depending on the importance and your industry and internal customers (engineers, etc).

Mentioning KPIs, and perhaps Management Review could also be nice.

Internal and External Audits, and sometimes even trying to state the cost of de-certification can be udseful depending on your industry & audience.

All the best,

Andrew

Randy

Super Moderator
The average employee will retain all that for about 15 minutes at best.

Focus on what they really need to know about their individual roles and toss the fluff

There is nothing...I repeat, NOTHING about people needing to know anything that isn't relevant to their individual roles and responsibilities (their job) in ISO 9001

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

Focus on what they really need to know about their individual roles and toss the fluff

There is nothing...I repeat, NOTHING about people needing to know anything that isn't relevant to their individual roles and responsibilities (their job) in ISO 9001
Please let me add that as levels go up, the relevance and importance of process and interactions becomes more and complex. People therefore also need to know what the next process does and how his process output can make it happen effectively. This sensitivity is a very important aspect one has to continuously build during the QMS orientation.
When you want the QMS to be a feeder to continual improvement by the people who manage it, knowledge about your process and interactions is a strong essential.

harry

Super Moderator
1. I think we should differentiate Orientation from Training. Specific needs of each individual, position or level with regards to requirements of the standard and organization should be addressed through training.

2. Orientation is practically a general introduction to let the new employees have an idea about the organization, its practices - including the various quality and/or environmental, safety and product certifications if any. The organization should also let them know its respective policies, objectives, commitments and its expectations of its employees.

3. These are about communication and paying attention to the audience attention span is encouraged. So are the techniques and approach used. The traditional 'jug and mug' approach is a no-no.

A

amit_rd

In my view, orientation must be kept limited to basics and focused more on bringing people to understand that QMS should be the way of doing their jobs and not a job itself.:agree:

I conduct a program for new joiners as well in which I provide basic info and try to sensitize everyone that QMS is nothing new or extra that they have to do - I conduct exercises where people understand process approach and QMS principles on their own and then I explain that its part of QMS implementation and whether they think its anything extra - So far the response and results have been very promising.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

ssz102

QMS training base on the level of employee such as worker or clerk or administrator, means different post of persons should be difference training content, but general contents included as below:
1.the time of registration for your company
2. quality objective and policy in your company
3. the number of documents and its type and structure
4. what aspect should be noticed in working process for staff
5. explaining some simple process running flowchart to all of staff
6.what will bring benefits after the company registered

and so on

I agree with Amit.

I would focus on helping people to understand that everything they do is part of a process (or processes): why are they doing it (objectives), what factors influence how they do it, what impact do they have on other people, processes, objectives, what resources do they need?

Then mention the corporate objectives and how the processes help to achieve them.

And don't mention any detail from the standard.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
Hi Everyone,

I am conducting QMS Orientation to all new employees every month. I created a PPT presentation that includes the following information:
A.
1. Overview of ISO 9001
2. ISO Required procedures
3. Details of our ISO 9001 certification - when and who certified us
4. Our quality policy

B.
1. QMS Overview
2. Overview of our SOP's
3. Why we need QMS, how does it help us, common link to QMS = people
4. Who is responsible for Quality

I take all of your comments positively so please feel free to leave your comments.

Thanks.

In addition to Randy's observations, which I agree with :bigwave:, I would get rid of the first part completely, except for moving #4 to part "B." Don't build an "ISO system." Build a quality management system.

Top Bottom