What Medical Device Risk Compliance Certifications do you recommend?

A

Agent J

Hey Cove members.

I stumbled into the world of medical device compliance a couple years ago when I applied for an internal position at my company specific to risk compliance for the FDA/ISO 14971. At the time we had little to no experience in just what this role meant and I have spent most of my time focused on learning the medical device regulations and building a compliant risk management system for our regulated products.

I’ve finally reached a point where I can take a breath and I’m looking for how to advance my career through continued education and certifications:

1) Looking around the Cove and Google, it seems that most companies have one position for managing the quality system (ISO 13485, etc…) and risk (ISO 14971, etc…), where my company has these responsibilities split. Is this accurate?

2) What certifications, degrees, etc… would you suggest for bolstering my qualifications in medical device risk management? (When I was promoted to the role, I took a BSI certification course for ISO 14971)

Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
1) Looking around the Cove and Google, it seems that most companies have one position for managing the quality system (ISO 13485, etc…) and risk (ISO 14971, etc…), where my company has these responsibilities split. Is this accurate?
As risk-based approaches to all processes are increasingly emphasized, knowledge of a risk management framework and principles (such as ISO 14971) becomes invaluable to quality system managers.

How your company divides responsibilities is their decision. It is often the case that ISO 14971 risk management activities is headed by a project manager (which doesn't necessarily entail ISO 13485 background).

In short, my opinion is that persons responsible for risk management needn't (necessarily) be versed in quality system standards, whereas those persons responsible for quality system management should be versed in some sort of risk-management principles.

2) What certifications, degrees, etc… would you suggest for bolstering my qualifications in medical device risk management? (When I was promoted to the role, I took a BSI certification course for ISO 14971)
Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in such "official" qualifications. Experience is infinitely more valuable. If you are involved in the risk-management process for a number of projects, that is, IMO, better on your resume than a weekend certification course... ;)

A

Agent J

Thank you for the reply, Mark.

Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in such "official" qualifications.
I would tend to agree with you. Part of my asking is management has tasked me to investigate how things are "normally" done in the industry. It sounds like pursuing certifications wouldn't provide much value compared to doing the job.

Are there any conferences that you would suggest for continuing education and rubbing elbows with more experienced individuals?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
...Part of my asking is management has tasked me to investigate how things are "normally" done in the industry...
"Normally" is not necessarily a goal to pursue, as systems will always be tailored to a company's unique requirements (e.g. nature of their activities and devices they sell, system/organization structure and resources... etc.).

If you've got a copy of the most recent edition of ISO 14971, check out the Annexes, and they should give you a basic starting point. ...you can then tailor a framework (evaluation system, acceptance criteria, spreadsheets for documenting hazard identifications and evaluations...) to suit your needs.

Alternatively, you can obtain some risk files through Freedom of Information (FOI) requests, or search the net for examples of how other companies conduct/document their risk management activities...

:read: :agree1:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
R Risk Management in the Medical Device Industry ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Consideration of Uncertainty in Making Benefit-Risk Determinations in Medical Device Premarket Approvals, De Novo Classificati Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B More than one Risk Report per Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M Informational ISO TC 210 IEC SC 62A JWG 1 Medical device risk management – São Paulo meeting 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
M Medical Device News ISO TC 210 IEC SC 62A JWG 1 Medical device risk management – São Paulo meeting 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational ISO TC 210 JWG 1 meeting in São Paulo – Revision of ISO 14971 and ISO TR 24971 – Medical Device Risk Management Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Medical Device Cybersecurity Risk Management File ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
O Medical Device EMC Risk Management CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
F Risk Analysis of a Medical Device Accessory ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
I Medical Device Software Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
F Medical Device HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
I How do you define Risk (Medical Device)? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 30
I Class I Medical Device Accessory with Actual Risk EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T Using Risk Management in ISO 10993 - Medical Device Accessory 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J What ever happened to Medical Device Risk Management, anyway? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
S Organizing Risk Analysis and Controls for a New Medical Device (ISO 14971) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
A Assessing Risk for Medical Device Software ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
somashekar FDA proposal on Medical Device Accessory Risk Assessment Other US Medical Device Regulations 15
A Implementing Risk Management in a Medical Device "Distributor Only" company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Risk Analysis help for CE Marking Class I Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
Marc Are you looking for ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management? Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
M Classifying a Multiple Risk Medical Device System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Risk Management for 510k Exempt Class I Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
N Medical Device Failure Rate as part of the Risk Management Report ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
G ISO 17664 Reusable Low Risk Medical Device Cleaning Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
V Medical Device Intended Use Document - Risk Analysis Documentation Requirements ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
M Example of a Risk Assessement File for Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
E Risk Management Methods in Medical Device Component Manufacturing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M ISO 14971 Medical Device Risk Management FAQ ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 38
Q Advice about Risk Management for a Medical Device Distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Software Risk Estimation: Probability of Medical Device Software Anomaly Occuring ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
K High Risk Medical Device Type Testing (China Requirements) China Medical Device Regulations 5
K High Risk Medical Device Type Testing in Korea (Requirements) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
T Risk Management in a very small low tech, Class 1 Medical Device Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
W Software Tool for Medical Device Risk Analysis - Recommendations please ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
N Minor Concern - Medical Device Software and Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Q Applying Risk to the Medical Device Document Control Program Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Where can I buy EN ISO 14971:2009 (Medical Device Risk Management)? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
A An Example of a Risk Analysis Report for a Class II Medical Device (Oxygen Mask) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
Marc The FDA and IEC 80001-1 (Risk Management for Medical Device IT networks) Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
I PFMEA RPN Numbers Medical Device Risk Management FMEA and Control Plans 1
K ISO 62304 Software Risk Management and Medical Device Class IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
K Do you have to use RPN in Medical Device Risk Analysis? Identification of Hazards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M Medical Device Risk Assessment - Environmental Contamination ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
R Rate the Effectiveness of Risk Management in the Medical Device Industry Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
bio_subbu Supply Chain Risk Management for the Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Industries ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
I Medical Device Risk Assessment to ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
T Medical Device Risk Management Plan ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11