What online communities are useful to your career?

What online communities are useful to your career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AnaMariaVR2

Trusted Information Resource
Listed below are the most common sites which many use as online career communities, to list job opportunities or their virtual résumés.

1. LinkedIn
  2. Beyond.com
  3. Glassdoor
  4. BranchOut
  5. Plaxo
  6. Jibe
  7. Facebook

What other career communities are you participating in which has benefit your professional career? What works best for you? And how about professional associations?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Maybe you could add "none of the above" to the poll.
I haven't found ANY of the ones listed helpful to my career, but then I don't actively work with any of them to update or aggressively seek business.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I voted "none of the above" because for the most part, folks who hire management consultants such as I don't seem to be trolling for candidates on social networks.

Especially important to note is that (almost by definition) early adopters of things like social networks and high tech solutions are not the kind of folk who find themselves in need of outsiders to help them formulate strategy. They are more likely to be outsourcing specialty contractors who can help them with short term implementation of parts of the strategies devised by these early adopters themselves.

About three years ago, I became friends with a fellow ASQ member who was really a Lean guru. We had been charter members of the "Advanced Manufacturing Interest Group" which evolved into the Lean Division of ASQ. He had this swell idea (and the software and hardware to implement it) to provide web-based counseling and training in Lean strategy and technique. He was stunned to discover he had no takers, not one, after a year of trying to promote this "system."

In a long phone call, we discussed the situation and decided that the folks who were his natural market simply were not technologically advanced enough to step up to such an innovative program.

I expect that social networks (I consider Linked In a type of social network) are great tools for folks who already know what they want, but almost useless for the folks who are intimidated by fast-paced modern technology, even though they are the ones who stand to benefit by adopting it.

I went for none of the above too: I only use one of them, and I do so in a very limited way. Maybe it could be important if I choose to make it so, but I do not feel comfortable with that.

/Claes

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
I voted for Linkedin.
But there tooo, there are other-features missing...which are much desirable...viz., some mechanism to delink the views/opinions from the employers etc.,!!! (viz., link to Blogs...publications etc., either not-used properly&completely...)

Regarding relevance/reference of these sites, its still at very nascent stage;
Right Now, It just, reflects the urge from the individual-user to post to outside world; the profile-recommendations etc.,
I agree with Wes, I guess, these are yet to be taken seriously by recruiters.

Having said that, is LinkedIn counted as social networking site! (is elsmar the same?) Surely they have taken the 'concept' of social-networking to the professional/work areas! Right?

smryan

Perspective.
"None". I don't find broad scope social networking useful. Occasionally entertaining. Mostly annoying. But never useful.

On the flipside, the 2 very focused communities in which I participate (this quality geek forum and a physics geek forum) are incredibly helpful/ useful.

A

adickerson

The problem with LinkedIn or other social networks is you have to do a lot of work. Not work that makes you better or more qualified but rather work to help establish a formal brand. It really becomes more about marketing. For a lot of people that self promotion is necessary becasue they have something to sell on a regular basis (consultants, 3rd party auditors, trainers). I don't like to feel like I am on stage so social networking for business is not fun for me.

I only need to sell my self TO A WIDE PUBLIC once or twice a decade when I may look for a new job. The rest of the time my market is very narrow and just mostly my current business (boss, suppliers, customers, employees). So for my personal brand, my marketing efforts are better suited focusing on a much narrower audience. I could spend an hour filling out a detailed LinkedIn profile for some strangers I would never deal with or I could put together an outlook calendar reminder for my local group's members birthdays and anniversaries. The return is much higher for me when working locally. Large market networking matters to me but not much.

I guess it just depends on what you want to get out of the service.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Online order and delivery portal of an organi is frequently hacked, fake orders punched with no payment received Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
dgrainger Informational EC - Medical devices – online manuals replacing paper instructions - Feedback period: 27 April 2021 - 25 May 2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Should I take an online course for a career in Occupational Health and Safety? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Marc Informational Louvre puts entire collection online - 3-2021 World News 0
K Moulding Online Course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Le Chiffre Online training available for ISO/IEC 17021-1: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
T ISO 13485 - Assembly instructions written vs. online ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
X ISO 17025 certification for Laboratory for online gambling products ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
M ISO 13485-2016 online certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
S RA (Regulatory Affairs) certification & Online Internship Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
Richard Regalado Informational ISO makes available relevant BCMS standards free for online access Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
John C. Abnet Free Social Distancing Online Q&A session on 2 April 2020 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
H Online courses/program for medical device regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B OSHA Top Ten webinar, March 31 (free online) [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
G USAS ISO 9001 Certification, online is it worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
F Online courses - Metrology, standardization, calibration and ISO 17025 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S Where to get online AS standard audit certification classes? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.4.3 "Information for External Providers" buying from online retailers. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Sale of Rx Only Medical Device to Physician Online Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
N Online Internal Auditing Course for ISO 13485 - Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
B Classes/ Online Training on ISO 13485:2016 and FDA QSR Part 820 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Good Laboratory Practice: online training course recommendations? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
J Online ISO 13485 Auditor Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Online / Cloud Based Software as Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Sidney Vianna ISO 20488 - Online Consumer Reviews Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
E Online training for an internal auditor to AS9120B AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T Are online IATF 16949 training/certification worth the investment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
K Online IATF16949 training Internal Auditing 10
A How to Handle Documented Information in an online database for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Online IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Course IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Recommendations for ONLINE IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Electronic (Online Database) Calibration Records General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M AS9102 Training - Seeking third party agency that provides online AS9102 training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Marc Definition PEPPOL - Pan-European Public Procurement Online Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
BradM The Cove's Sister: Quality Forum Online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
K Online Employee Training Software Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Sidney Vianna Covegratulations to The Cove and Marc Smith - 19 years online January 6, 2015 Covegratulations 18
Marc Explore - Movies, audios and more! An Online Library Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
S Can I accomplish ISO 13485 Lead Auditor Training online? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
Ronen E Online resource for USA cities historical weather observations Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
T ISO Auditor Training - What online training is actually value added? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Continuing Education for Quality Professional (Online) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
A Recommended Online Lead Auditor Course Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
A Online Navigation of Procedures and Quality System Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
W What Are Some Online Car Auction Websites? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S Suggestions for Six Sigma Online Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
F Looking for a free Online Auditing Software / System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Online Employee Testing Sites Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5