What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives?

Measurable quality objectives have long been a part of ISO 9001. What is new is the requirement to plan actions to make them happen. The plans are intended to be specific and actionable, addressing actions, resources, responsibilities, timeframes, and evaluation of results.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
I think you might be incorrect, planning has always been a requirement, the only thing that has changed is the formatted language.

Thanks for the information but you're about 4 years behind the power curve.

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
6.2.2 is where this shows up. There is a prescriptive list of things that quality objective planning needs to be determine. However, if you read 6.2.2 carefully you will note that there is no requirement for documents or records involved with this activity. If asked how you are doing this, you should be able to verbally explain each one.

a) what will be done
b) what resources will be required
c) who will be responsible
d) when it will be completed
e) how the results will be evaluated

Prescriptive the list may be, but no documented information is mandated. I would strongly recommend not falling into the trap of creating a written procedure and keeping records.

tony s

Information Seeker
Prescriptive the list may be, but no documented information is mandated. I would strongly recommend not falling into the trap of creating a written procedure and keeping records.
I agree. The problem is when auditors look for documented "plan of actions" and tie it to the statement under 6.2.1 "The organization shall maintain documented information on the quality objectives".

Another reference that auditors might exploit for asking documented action plans is the International Accreditation Forum Auditing Practices Group Guidance on Policy, Objectives and Management Review statement that "It is up to the auditors to satisfy themselves that the objectives are adequately documented".

Big Jim

I agree. The problem is when auditors look for documented "plan of actions" and tie it to the statement under 6.2.1 "The organization shall maintain documented information on the quality objectives".

Another reference that auditors might exploit for asking documented action plans is the International Accreditation Forum Auditing Practices Group Guidance on Policy, Objectives and Management Review statement that "It is up to the auditors to satisfy themselves that the objectives are adequately documented".
My comment is that auditors should ask enough questions to determine that the auditee understands the requirement and can explain how they meet it. I would also say that auditors cannot use "it's up to the auditors to satisfy themselves" is not an excuse for auditors to make up their own rules.

Tagin

I'm in favor of a written plan. It need not be extensive (i.e., just one page, even just a bullet list covering 6.2.2a-e), but if something is important enough to be a quality objective, then it would seem important enough for a simple written plan.

Big Jim

I'm in favor of a written plan. It need not be extensive (i.e., just one page, even just a bullet list covering 6.2.2a-e), but if something is important enough to be a quality objective, then it would seem important enough for a simple written plan.
That may very well be a best practice for many companies and I have no trouble with it if an organization chooses to go that way, but it is not a requirement of the standard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A ISO 2859-1 - 9.3.3.2 Switching score - Sampling Plans and PPM AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
J How to make Quality Control plans Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Jimmy123 What is the difference between Error Proofing and Controls? ISO/IATF 16949 - Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 16
S Regulatory Medical Device PMA Plans US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Informational Paper on open access – EU postmarket surveillance plans for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
Q Add new action plans in CA, while waiting effectiveness - Same problem reappears ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
B Main responsibility for Control Plans - creating and maintaining FMEA and Control Plans 13
E Department Plan for QA and HSE (profile, plans, structure, goals, etc.) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
M SOPs, Plans and Report templates for Clinical Evaluation of EU MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
CbusQAguy IATF 16949 6.1.2.3 - Contingency Plans Testing Checklist IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N The question asks about sampling plans and AQL Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
E Audited to ISO 13485 standard although customer was aware we're not and have no plans to be ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
S Recurring Natural Disasters in Contingency Plans - What's the point? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Sidney Vianna FDA plans to use ISO 13485 for Medical Devices Regulation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
S Risk analysis 6.1 and contingency plans 6.1.2.3, are they related? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
C Are zero defect sampling plans relevant to AS9120B Distributor AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
bobdoering Contingency Plans Likely to be Scrutinized More Now IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Stijloor The need for contingency plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Are contingency plans required to list the sources of alternate products or services? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Controls to ensure that Quality Plans are accurate APQP and PPAP 2
M ISO / ASTM standards for Sampling Plans for Medical Devices Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Customer Identification and Traceability in Manufacturing Plans Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A CAQ Software - Implementation of a Software for FMEA's and Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
B Control Plans for Quality Management System Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
optomist1 TS 16949 Control Plans - Non-Production Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Document Control of FMEAs and Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
S Referencing procedures on Control Plans - Best Practices FMEA and Control Plans 3
A Medical Device Licensing - Plans or Process Maps Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N Understanding, Challenging & Approving Supplier Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 7
D Exercising Business Continuity or Disaster Recovery Plans Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 5
J Incoming Inspection Plans under Design Control (part of DMR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Help interpreting MIL-STD-105E Single Sampling Plans Tables Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Attribute Sampling Plans with Switching Rules - Software Recommendations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Inspection Plans - How to choose AQL (MIL STD 105E) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
U AQL, Lot Size vs Sampling Plans AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
J Should Contingency Plans cover Flooding? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
M Are 'Error Proofing Methods' required to be mentioned in Control Plans? FMEA and Control Plans 7
O Any recommendations on good book on Control Plans besides AIAG? FMEA and Control Plans 3
C Suggestions on Sample Plans for High Volume/Low Cost/Low Risk Components Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Steps to Complete Quality Control Plans and Work Instruction Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Sean Kelley MSA Study Requirements for Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
AnaMariaVR2 Getting Importers? Pulse About Food Safety Plans Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
X Plans/Requests from Parent Company: Objectives or still plans? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Sean Kelley Seeking Ballooned PFMEA and Control Plans for Training FMEA and Control Plans 4
C Writing Quality Management Plans for a Tender Submission Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
D Annual Layouts in Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
8 New Job Presentation on my findings and plans for future Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6