What questions should I ask during Internal Audits?

R

Ron Tollett

Hi Team,
I'm stuck on what questions I should use for internal audits. Is it appropriate to ask questions like, "Can you show me the circulation of the management review agenda to the appropriate personnel as described in your procedure?"

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Ron Tollett

Re: Internal Audit questions

Thank you, Stijloor. It was just a view I was looking for. Much appreciated.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Thank you, Stijloor. It was just a view I was looking for. Much appreciated.
Clearly this is not the only question to make.
My suggestion is to look at the processa nd stay focused in auditing the the effectiveness of this activity/process.
I guess you are making internal auditing, correct me if I am wrong
see you:bigwave:

R

Ron Tollett

Thanks Gusys. If this was evidenced as being completed, would you say this would be considered effective in the activity/process?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Thanks Gusys. If this was evidenced as being completed, would you say this would be considered effective in the activity/process?
It is good that the agenda was shared, but I would instead gauge effectiveness on what was done with the management review information - inputs and outputs. To make my audits meaningful I try to compare and contrast the process's intended and actual benefit to the organization.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

As you have read, Jennifer makes excellent points. :agree1:

When you look at Management Review outputs, two important words are used: decisions and actions. When you audit the effectiveness of Management Review, you want to see the evidence of decisions and actions; and most importantly: the results of the actions.

Stijloor.

R

Ron Tollett

Very interesting points here, Jennifer. Thanks. Made it very clear.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Stijloor said it better than me. :agree1:

But really, what is management Review about? It is supposed to be upper management reviewing the QMS (the standard supplies a list of exactly what aspects of the QMS as a minimum) performance in as a basis of decision making.

It helps that the inputs have some value. I rant and rave about audit metrics that say little besides how many audits were done and how many nonconformances were written. That tells us precisely nothing, as I could manipulate that data endlessly.

Of course there is a requirement to review nonconformances and status of corrective actions, which is getting closer to the good stuff - IF these things are of value. Imagine the things management wants to know: "What is going on that helps us be profitable and competitive?" A good QMS should be telling them at least some of this stuff, and a good management team is paying attention to what the good QMS is telling them. Your audit could review all of that.

That was a lot of "coulds", "shoulds" and "Ifs."

J

JaneB

Hi Team,
I'm stuck on what questions I should use for internal audits. Is it appropriate to ask questions like, "Can you show me the circulation of the management review agenda to the appropriate personnel as described in your procedure?"
Here's some questions that I might ask in such a case. (NB: there often isn't a procedure for MR - and doesn't need to be - but in this case there clearly is)

• I see the procedure involves putting items onto an agenda and then circulating it... could you show me a couple of examples of agendas - say 2 consecutive ones - from the last two reviews?
  • (After looking at the agendas) - OK, I see on this agenda you planned to discuss XYZ process because there'd been some problems with it - can you tell me what happened about that? What the problem was/were? How did they show up?
  • OK, so you decided to do X about it... can you show me the decision/action from minutes/action log/whatever?
  • (depending on the status of that action - complete/incomplete/ etc) - and how's progress? If completed - has that been effective? (If yes) And is there some evidence you could show me that would indicate that?

In other words, I'm less focussed on what I consider to be somewhat administrivia (ie, show me you circulated the agenda to appropriate personnel) and more interested in inputs, outputs, decisions and results as others have said. (After all, if there is some kind of minute/meeting record, I can see who was there from that, and I don't need to ask that question).

An alternative approach is not to ask questions based on the procedure, but to elicit the process via questions, and then compare what is said to what is written. eg:
Tell me about management reviews - what makes them happen? (if you need to prompt: eg, is there a schedule, are they ad hoc/only if a problem etc)
Who goes to them?
What kinds of things get discussed? eg, do you have an agenda? how does that work?
What kinds of things are looked at and reviewed at these meetings? (ie, what are the inputs, but I wouldn't use that word unless it was helpful?)
And are there are any kinds of minutes/actions kept? (ie, outputs, etc)

And once you understand the procedure, you can zero in on asking for examples...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Questions regarding Cpk Calculation - Should we be using LSL/USL or LCL/UCL? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
E Should I refuse to answer personal questions during the interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 59
K NCR (Nonconformance Report) - Basic questions - When should an NCR be filled out? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
W What is meant by Process Approach Auditing and What questions should be asked? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 11
A VDA 6.3 should I apply the questions related to service provision VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 6
M Questions concerning QMS and/or company specific nonconformance Customer Complaints 2
B AS9100 Design Authority questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q AS9100:D Counterfeit internal audit questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A How would a candidate for Quality Systems Manager role answer questions in a med device manufacturing org ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
B Newbie Questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M AS9102 Form 1 Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
B ISO 14971:2019 amendment A11:2021 questions ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K Questions about Table C.1 examples of hazards in Annex C of ISO 14971. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N API Q1 Audit Surveillance - Questions Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
Watchcat Raising new questions of safety and effectiveness Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
G Microsoft Office 365 Business plan questions Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 10
N Simple statistics questions on labor data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J IATF CB Auditor questions Internal Auditor Competence IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
lanley liao Questions regarding the change of critical suppliers and key personnel Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
H Existing cloud based medical device - questions regarding improving the processes IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
W How do you phrase your internal audit questions? Internal Auditing 3
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M NFPA 70 electrical harness questions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
L Project Managers - Questions For You Career and Occupation Discussions 0
B Toyota PPAP Process - Three Questions APQP and PPAP 5
A Internal Audit Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Two FDA questions regarding UDI (and potentially 803.52 MDR) Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Signature Matrix questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
D Shipping and recall questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 v2 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3