What should be changed in the ISO 9001:2015 Standard?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Misuse of risk management:

Do we expect risk management will be used under ISO 9001:2015 as an excuse to ship product known to be nonconforming without alerting the customer?

If not, why not?

Sorry if this point was discussed already but I my search yielded nothing.

W

wrodnigg

I also think, that the way "ruisk management" is used in ISO 9001:2015 is more confising than useful.

We have a good standard for Risk Management: ISO 31000, and ISO 9001 should refer to this standard, instead "inventing" some odd new things.

D

Del Foster

Re: What should be changed in the ISO 9001:2014 Standard?

As a member of the US TAG to TC 176, I am extremely interested in this thread. We have already started collecting potential revisions. I will gladly take any and all suggestions to our March meeting in Dallas. Thanks for priming the pump!
I understand that the requirement for a quality manual is being deleted in :2015 yet the requirement to provide the information typically included in a quality manual will still exist. This movement to continually reduce prescriptive language in the requirements clauses is fine and provides an organization the opportunity to tailor a system that fits customer needs as well as internal objectives.

I suggest a change in the language relative to "the quality policy" as defined in clause 5.3 of :2008. This requirement may be demonstrated by posting a slogan type statement in the work area or on business cards and badges in hopes individuals can recite it for auditors. This policy statement may help individuals understand the importance of "conformity to product requirements" (clause 6.2.2 a) as an overall concept but does little to define "overall intentions and direction" (def 3.2.4 ISO 9000) relative to specific clauses 4.1 through 8.5.3 of the standard. A well planned and developed quality POLICY manual could do this effectively and thus become a valuable asset for the organization.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: What should be changed in the ISO 9001:2014 Standard?

Del,

Being able to recite my organization's quality policy is not evidence of me understanding how the policy applies to my work.

The policy should affect the way we think and act.

As such it should be reinforced by the actions of top management and the other leaders of the organization instead of being framed and hung on the wall.

Policy (or doctrine) manuals suggest a mandate from top management on every aspect of the management system. Then the policies would have to aligned not to conflict with the organization's mission.

And policy awareness training would be like boot camp for every new employee!

Better for our management system standards to reflect what already is widely established as good practice.

John

AndyN

Moved On
Excellent point, John. I wonder how many times an auditor has asked top management if THEY know if the policy is deployed, how THEY know people know it and, if THEY know if it's appropriate to their business! Commitment to EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS (a commonly found, trite statement) is all very well and dandy, but can it be DONE?

S

sitapaty

In the light of my woking on ISO 9001 for over 20 years I personaly feel that we should have entirely a new standard for small scale industry.Also we should have a new standard for service sector.Making ISO 9001 standard as a common standard has made some requirements irrelevent.

Patricia Ravanello

Quite Involved in Discussions
In the light of my woking on ISO 9001 for over 20 years I personaly feel that we should have entirely a new standard for small scale industry..

Why? It's already a "One-size-fits-all" standard....

Do we need smaller TV's for smaller people? Or smaller cars for going shorter distances or conversely, longer cars for going longer distances?

Unfortunately, smaller companies may not be able to realize the economies of scale enjoyed by larger corporations....but most small companies aren't forced to be compliant, like the automotive suppliers are. If I had a small company, I'd just conduct our own Internal audits...and claim that we're "ISO-compliant" (not ISO-certified)....no certification, no external auditors...no extra expense...and invite my customers to come and to their own audits to verify compliance.

Patricia

Remember...it's not how deep you fish, it's how you wiggle your worm..:lmao:

Last edited:

Patricia Ravanello

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Kevin,
Thanks for the Welcome reception...I do pop in to the Cove on occasion. How are things down under? Did you ever finish a "Sequence and Interaction" Model? How did your procedural flow charts work out?

Patricia

K

kgott

Hi Patricia, things are fine down under with wonderful cool/cold weather this time of year.

My boss (at that workplace) said my flow charts were too ‘cluttered’ and to cut them down to the bear minimum which was a waste of time of course.

But I’ll learn from that and keep going as and when I can.

I now work for an organisation whose procedures are a combination of swim lanes and text. Sooooo much emphasis on format and sadly it’s a case of ignore the first 5 pages of a procedure before the reader gets to the meat. Its difficult to change something you inherit.

An accurate sequence and interaction model remains elusive and gravity is strong. I think it will take some 3D software to do it accurately.

Thank you for continuing your contributions to the Cove.

Top Bottom