What to be careful about/focus on when doing a Technical File review

MedicalDevice

Involved In Discussions
Hi everyone!
I would like to get some suggestions or feedback on what to be careful about/focus on when doing a technical file review.
I will be doing a technical file review (my first one) of a Class I medical device product soon and since I am not experienced in this, I would like to hear your opinions on how to handle the whole process, how to make comments/give feedback after the review, etc.
Any input or experience/thoughts on this matter will be helpful to me.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
A difficult question to answer succinctly. Obviously, compliance to (presuming MDR) Annex I & II (and III if it's a product that's been in the market).

Some things that I've seen as "got'chas" would include:
  • is each referenced standard the latest revision (and any data showing compliance is to that revision)?
  • will the data be considered reliable; e.g., was it collected (or assessed) by an accredited lab or was it compiled by Joe's Garage and Tire shop? (I had one NB reject an assertion of compliance to 62304 because it was self-declared, not assessed by an accredited lab - they said I could either get a lab to do it or they would assess it for an extra charge... sheesh).
  • are you referencing the latest harmonized standards?
  • is the data complete and sufficient to demonstrate compliance (often hard to know!)
  • does the data provided actually demonstrate compliance?
  • do you actually support your benefit-risk analysis or is it just hand-waving? (Yes, that's rather subjective but a strong case IS needed.)
That's all that comes to mind right now. Is this what you're looking for? Maybe others will chime in with their experiences.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
I meant to what standard will you be auditing. I think yodon is probably right in assuming MDR, but I would have to add that I've seen way too many audits by amateurs (more the organization than the individual auditor, who often knew better) that were essentially a waste of time, due to a lack of standard. (GMP, GLP, GCP, etc....these are all just concepts; you can't usefully audit to a concept.)

You are getting hands-on training in the review of tech files?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jim Wynne Be Careful With Specifications in International Trade Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
Jim Wynne Another Example of Why You Have to Be Careful With Online Translators Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Jim Wynne Be Careful What You Say on the Internet Career and Occupation Discussions 27
Wes Bucey Be careful what you wish for Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
Jim Wynne Be careful about saying "impossible" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Jim Wynne Be careful when taking messages Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
V Bad Training Courses - Careful to the seminars you attend - "SPC & 6 Sigma" Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
B AS NZS 5131 - Procedure on Concessions with focus on Steel Fabrication Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
M Medical Device News CAMD – Patient Safety – The Focus For All Competent Authorities For Medical Devices (CAMD) Members Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K ISO 9001:2015 Clause 5.1.2 Customer Focus (a) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E Audit Focus Area: Tribal Knowledge Internal Auditing 10
M Quality, design and related books, with a focus on medical devices Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
W RAC EU/Global focus certification - Study Group for Spring 2015 Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
M Streamlined Risk Management Process - Focus on Compliance with Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Mathematics for Regulatory Professionals - RAPS Focus Article Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Internal Audit Structure and Focus Internal Auditing 7
J Should I have Process or Product Focus in PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 3
J IATF 2012 TS 16949 Auditor Areas of Focus IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G AATT Focus: Configuration Management & Risk Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Layered Audit Checklist with focus on daily quality General Auditing Discussions 3
T Plating and Metal Sheet Process Tour - What to focus on? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Shortcomings of Compliance Focus Quality Management System (QMS) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
B PFMEA Focus - Use of historical data to generate an Occurrence Number FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Customer Focus - Complying with TS 16949 clauses 7.2.1 and 8.2.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
P Lean In Green - Opportunities to Focus on Lean Initiation Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
Q Process Approach - Special Focus? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N Customer Focus Process Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 4
L Internal Audit to Focus on Customer Complaint Re-occurrences Internal Auditing 4
bobdoering Buyers shun GM, Chrysler as rescue draws focus World News 30
J Wyeth ruling could bring more focus on drug safety World News 0
bobdoering From SME: GM To Focus On Fewer Brands World News 4
K Customer Focus with the aim of enhancing customer satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A GM Supplier Quality Focus Process Information Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Focus and Scope of ISO 9001:2000 Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Selection Matrix for DFMEA Focus in New Product Design FMEA and Control Plans 7
Z How to Carry Out ?Customer Focus? on All Parts of Management System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
A ISO sharpens focus on int'l stds for energy efficiency and renewable energy source Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
W ASQ 2008 World Conference Focus: Generation Quality ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 19
D MSA for Attribute Data System - We have a gauge called ?Focus? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc Toyota may Delay Models to Focus on Quality World News 0
R A process for quality policy/management commitment & customer focus? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
H 5.2 Customer Focus - "...aim of enhancing customer satisfaction does not exist" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Marc Foreign automakers shifting focus - Localization for parts and quality improvement World News 0
B Consequences for repeat nonconformances - Carelessness, lack of focus Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
P Considering Career in Auditing with focus on Social Responsibility Career and Occupation Discussions 23
Marc NHTSA - Ford Focus and Dodge Durango (Daimler-Chrysler) to be recalled World News 1
ccochran Leadership Drives Customer Focus Registered Visitor Articles Archive 0
ccochran Customer Focus Inventory - Take part in an experiment? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 18
ccochran The Top 10 Training Topics for Customer Focus Registered Visitor Articles Archive 13
Claes Gefvenberg Ford Focus recalls. An opportunity to discuss preventive and corrective actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12