Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

What to do when Employees are not following Instructions

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
in truth, as a quality professional, you do nothing to ensure employees are following the rules (unless of course they are your staff). It's not he QP's job to get staff to follow the rules, that's the job of management.

Your can play with the format of documentation, you can play with words and language used to make it easier to follow but, it is not your (our) job to make people work to them.

The raising of CARs is the process thus bringing the NCs to the attention of management; reporting trends and requiring management to address the issues is in my opinion the way to deal with this.
Markaich,

Completely agree.

Better to investigate the adequacy of supervision and monitoring.

Then you may find a useful nonconformity.

John

riosimbolon

Starting to get Involved
We should think deeply how rule that stated on procedure etc are done...that is our home work, we can many ways: awareness, layout, tools, Appraisal etc..

charanjit singh

Involved In Discussions
There is something called common sense (not so common though;) that tells me that unless we can find the root cause of a problem we cannot address it effectively. First and foremost, therefore, we need to understand the real reason why the employees are not following the instructions. Many techniques are available that I cannot enumerate here for want of time and space. May be an experienced psychologist would be able to give useful suggestions.

Two points however I can readily think of are, the prevailing culture of the organisation, and the attitude and commitment (not simply by words but by actions) to quality. May be you already have a good idea of these two.

J

Julie O

in truth, as a quality professional, you do nothing to ensure employees are following the rules (unless of course they are your staff). It's not the QP's job to get staff to follow the rules, that's the job of management.
As a quality professional, yes. But as an employee...in truth, your job is whatever management says it is.

In what percent of companies the QM's actual job is to gamely struggle with quality issues so that management doesn't have to be bothered....I've often wondered, while not being sure that I really want to know.

M

MichaelMPerez

A succint policy implemented would ensure that employess are obeying you. Insubordination should be dealt ably. A knee jerk reaction would only do dmage. Check for the employees past record, study the severity of the conduct. Keep a insubordination policy generic which allows wide applicability for all work place issues is the need of the hour.

J

Julie O

A succint policy implemented would ensure that employess are obeying you.
This would apply only if they are your employees, i.e., if you are the business owner. However, in that case, you are a business owner, not a quality professional, so this question, which was for quality professionals doesn't apply to you.

In a corporate environment, everyone, including the executive management team, is an employee of the corporation. (That is to say that they are the employees of the shareholders; if you open your eyes and look around the corporate workplace, you will find that this explains a lot.)

People who have personnel management responsibilities in a corporation typically have very limited authorities related to the personnel they manage at the behest of the corporation. They cannot hire whomever they please and they cannot fire whomever they please. They do not have high-level authority over what work they will do nor how they will do it. Therefore, a policy intended to ensure that your employees are obeying you does not apply to the corporate environment.

Insubordination should be dealt ably. A knee jerk reaction would only do dmage. Check for the employees past record, study the severity of the conduct. Keep a insubordination policy generic which allows wide applicability for all work place issues is the need of the hour.
Again, this applies only if they are your subordinates. This does apply to a corporate environment, but only to employees who report to you. However, since the question was directed at quality professionals, it does not apply, because it is a virtual guarantee that the people who are not following instructions do not report to them.

J

JoShmo

A succint policy implemented would ensure that employess are obeying you. Insubordination should be dealt ably. A knee jerk reaction would only do dmage. Check for the employees past record, study the severity of the conduct. Keep a insubordination policy generic which allows wide applicability for all work place issues is the need of the hour.
Kinda a 19th centruy appraoch to management doncha think?

J

Julie O

I will follow my response to Michael above with the observation that this question would probably have been more consistently understood and gotten better responses if it had been posted in the ISO 9000 etc Quality Management Subforum, rather than the Human Factors and Engineering Subforum.

I realize that, with respect to this individual question, I'm trying to close the Subforum door after the question has gotten out. Nonetheless I mention it anyway, for future reference, because I frequently see questions that are directed to the most appropriate subforum/audience, and therefore do not get the best possible responses.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
I haven't read the entire thread, since it's older. It might have been a good opportunity to look at how the work is being done versus the written procedure. I can't know without more details, but maybe its a chance to adjust the system to how the actual work is being done, if the way it's being done is a good way.

As far as management and subordinates and all that conversation, I think it depends on your organization's structure. Our organization clearly defines who is over people and it's well stated to everyone.

Top Bottom