What to do with correction factors overlooked by an accredited standard (6.4.11)?

Gus

Involved In Discussions
Hello Colleagues,

i have bumped into one of those things "not mentioned in the test standard... that should be" and would very VERY much appreciate your input.

so, maybe 6.4.11 inst exactly worded for my particular case but i dont seem to find it anywhere else in the standard, so... to get to the point at hand:

I am in charge of a test lab that runs tests on fan cooled electric equipment, and Test site altitude DOES affect thermal equilibrium results on said equipment*, but current "certifiable" standards make no account for altitude corrections... the IEEE standard from which the aforementioned "other" standards were born DOES mention (briefly) a method to correct the temperature rise obtained from the tests, and also the IEC equivalent standard (uses a fancier formula but ends up with the same results for correction factors) now, to reiterate, we are accredited for national and international standards derived from these two main standards , but none of my accredited methods take into account these correction factors.

i am not sure how should i approach this to get to apply these correction factors and have my acceditation bodies to accept this "method deviation" (i'd like to avoid using that particular term if possible), does this really consist of a method deviation?... test method would be exactly as required by the standard but the result would be "corrected" for test site altitude

how do calibration labs approach these situations, im sure it happens right?

*This is due to the change in air density at different altitudes

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Your calibration procedure for these instruments should require that the correction factors be applied after calibration. That is what 6.4.11 directs you to do: you "shall ensure the reference values and correction factors are updated and implemented, as appropriate, to meet specified requirements".

The only reason not to use the corrections is if you can document that they are not a significant contributor to measurement uncertainty.

Gus

Involved In Discussions
well yes, it should, but it doesn't, that's the issue here, am i still in compliance with the test standard if im "correcting" results in a manner not specified by the test standard itself?

and it probably doesn't matter but, its a "Test" procedure, not a "calibration" procedure

Benjamin Weber

Hi Gus,

here is my oppinion:

First of all your are accredited as a test lab based on ISO 17025. You write "certifiable" standards. CAUTION: An accredited test lab is not allowed to "certify" anything. There is ISO 17065 for certification bodies! But I assume, you are not really certifying anything, do you?

Your accreditation scope lists a set of standard and/or specific test procedures. If your scope covers the standards that do not contain the correction factors you are formally compliant with the standard if you don't apply the factors. On the other hand: If your scope covers the standards mentioning the correction factors you have to take the factor into account.

You should clearly communicate to your clients if you apply the factors or not. If the client explicetly requires you to apply the factors, make a clear statement in the test report, that this is the client's request.

As dwperron already mentioned: How much do the correction factors contribute to the total measurement uncertainty? Or better: How much does the final result change if you apply the correction factor or not? If this change is low in comparison to the total measurement uncertainty, you could easily just add this change as a single contribution to the total measurement uncertainty. Important: There is no hard limit to decide wether a single contribution is low in comparison to all other contributions. You have to make a decision.

I don't know your test procedure. But I can hardly imagine, that the air pressure/density has a major effect on the result in comparison with other contributions like uncertainty of the probes (thermoelement? PT1000?) or contact qualilty between probe and DUT.

Gus

Involved In Discussions
Yeah, that was my bad on the "certifiable standards" , what i meant is that those standards are the ones recognized by the Certification bodies who have accredited the lab.

To be more clear on the impact of temperature tests, this is something that would impact product certification with UL, since they are the only who really care about temperatures, on the other standards there is a Heat run involved but im determining efficiency and the temperature value doesn't have a major effect on this result

BUT... the standard i mentioned earlier (which is not an accreditable standard but is the starting point from which the efficiency standards come from) tells you to reduce the Temperature rise in 1% per each 100m your test site is above 1000m ASL, our lab is 1625m.a.s.l. so... a reduction of 6% is due on Temperature rise... this means that for a temperature rise of 80... we change it into a Temperature rise of 75, and in some cases this could mean going from a NON compliant status, into a COMPLIANT status... since the product states that it is meant to be operated at 1000m (3300ft) and the customer has been always responsible for taking this into account, so in a way testing at a greater altitude without the correction factor makes R&D work harder for a cooler product than really required... as to the impact of this on uncertainty it seems kind of weird because i wouldn't have a ±U% related to this.... it would only be -U% on the temperature

in this case contact quality of the thermo-elements is not much of an issue, thermoelements are only used as reference to attain stability (that will be confirmed regardless of contact), actual temperature is attained by Change of Resistance method

dwperron

well yes, it should, but it doesn't, that's the issue here, am i still in compliance with the test standard if im "correcting" results in a manner not specified by the test standard itself?

and it probably doesn't matter but, its a "Test" procedure, not a "calibration" procedure
If you are claiming to use a test standard you must follow it completely, otherwise:

"7.2.1.7 Deviations from methods for all laboratory activities shall occur only if the deviation has been documented, technically justified, authorized, and accepted by the customer"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Applying Correction Factors to Furnaces Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
G Rework, Reprocess, or Correction - A simple blurred letter on the legible etching ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Correction fluid found on documents that are reviewed Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
Q Correction of records - FAR or DFAR? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
A Who pays for correction and removal actions? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
P Documentation for correction, corrective action, mini CAPA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Uriel Alejandro Evaluation of the effectiveness of correction actions General Auditing Discussions 15
D Non ASTM Partial Immersion LGT emergent stem correction General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
I EO sterilization out of specification and correction Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Jane's When audit NC requires only correction ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
J Who can make a Correction of Entry on GMP Records Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
J ISO 9001:2015 - Clause for Correction of a QMS Nonconformity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Medical Device Malfunction - Customer Complaint - Response vs. Correction Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Corrective Action Effectiveness also for correction? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
M Does there always have to be a "correction?" Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
K Definition Correction, Corrective Action and Preventive Action - Definition of terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 28
A Software Medical Device Bug Fixes: Correction or Corrective Action? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
L Medical Device Reporting vs Recall/Correction: What action to take? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R How do I extend Correction factor of Calibration cert to compute instrument accuracy Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
A AS9100 and Record Correction Procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Calculation for Correction Deformation (Pitch Diameter) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Observations - Is Correction / Corrective Action a Must ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Correction and Degree of Error - Metrology Definitions and Differences General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B How do I calculate Correction to Caliper Calibration Data General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Q Correction Action as Preventive Action at another Plant? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Correction and Removal - Include Device used in Non-Production Environment? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Q CAPA (Corrective Action and Preventive Action) after Correction always? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
B Recall vs. Field Correction - Field Corrections instead of a Recall US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 25
Q Corrective Action - Disposition always Correction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S 3 Wire Pitch Dia. Method - Measuring Force Correction & Lechowski?s method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Definition Corrective Action vs. Correction: Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 18
D NLEC (Non-Linear Error Correction) vs. SLEC (Segmented Linear) Calibration Technique Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
S Correction vs. Corrective Action - Differences Nonconformance and Corrective Action 30
F Zahn Cup Correction Chart - Boeing specification BSS 7234 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Medical Device Reporting procedure - Correction and Removal (21 CFR 806) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
V Can a non-conformance be closed with "correction"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
E Correction and Corrective Action - ALWAYS DOCUMENT BOTH Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
M What is the indication of "adjusted scale correction" to calibration of liq thermom.? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
H Definition Correction vs. Corrective Action vs. Preventive Action Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
G Whats the difference in applying error factor and correction factor? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Correction for Part/Master material difference in gage block comparison testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Correction, Corrective Action, and Preventive Action differences - Internal Audits Internal Auditing 10
Z Apogee V2.5 - No correction mapping unless I pay $8,000+ Software Quality Assurance 6
D FDA Requirements about using Correction Fluid on Documents and Records US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
M CARs (correction action request) vs. NCMRs (nonconforming material report) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
D On-site Calibration Environmental Control - Is there a correction factor? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Correction - Corrective Action - Preventive Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
J 'Forms' vs 'Question' based Corrective Actions - Correction Action System at Toyota Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
G MSA Manual Bias Calculation - Why is the d2* correction factor needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Element 4.5 - Hand written correction to a controlled component drawing? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1