What to expect in a Design Dossier Review for CE Marking by a Notified Body

A

AB2415

Hello all.

I am tasked with generating and presenting a design dossier to a reviewer for a notified body for CE marking for the first time. My employer has asked that I provide information to the project team on what to expect during this review, etiquette, etc. prior to the review.

Since I have no experience in design dossier reviews, this is difficult to do. Can anyone provide me with their personal experience, or direct me to informative resources that you are aware of?

I appreciate any help I can get!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Re: What to expect in a design dossier review for CE marking by notified body

Hello all.

I am tasked with generating and presenting a design dossier to a reviewer for a notified body for CE marking for the first time. My employer has asked that I provide information to the project team on what to expect during this review, etiquette, etc. prior to the review.

Since I have no experience in design dossier reviews, this is difficult to do. Can anyone provide me with their personal experience, or direct me to informative resources that you are aware of?

I appreciate any help I can get!

Hello and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

What directive is this CE marking under?

A

AB2415

Thanks for the welcome!

It is under 93/42/EEC.

Ronen E

Problem Solver

From 93/42/EEC, Annex II:

4. Examination of the design of the product

4.1. In addition to the obligations imposed by Section 3, the manufacturer must lodge with the notified body an application for examination of the design dossier relating to the product which he plans to manufacture and which falls into the category referred to in Section 3.1.

4.2. The application must describe the design, manufacture and performances of the product in question. It must include the documents needed to assess whether the product conforms to the requirements of this Directive, as referred to in Section 3.2 (c).

4.3. The notified body must examine the application and, if the product conforms to the relevant provisions of this Directive, issue the application with an EC design-examination certificate. The notified body may require the application to be completed by further tests or proof to allow assessment of conformity with the requirements of the Directive. The certificate must contain the conclusions of the examination, the conditions of validity, the data needed for identification of the approved design, where appropriate, a description of the intended purpose of the product.

In the case of devices referred to in Annex I, Section 7.4, second paragraph, the notified body shall, as regards the aspects referred to in that section, consult one of the competent authorities designated by the Member States in accordance with Directive 2001/83/EC or the EMEA before taking a decision. The opinion of the competent national authority or the EMEA must be drawn up within 210 days after receipt of valid documentation. The scientific opinion of the competent national authority or the EMEA must be included in the documentation concerning the device. The notified body will give due consideration to the views expressed in this consultation when making its decision. It will convey its final decision to the competent body concerned.

In the case of devices referred to in Annex I, Section 7.4, third paragraph, the scientific opinion of the EMEA must be included in the documentation concerning the device. The opinion of the EMEA must be drawn up within 210 days after receipt of valid documentation. The notified body will give due consideration to the opinion of the EMEA when making its decision. The notified body may not deliver the certificate if the EMEA's scientific opinion is unfavourable. It will convey its final decision to the EMEA.

In the case of devices manufactured utilising tissues of animal origin as referred to in Directive 2003/32/EC, the notified body must follow the procedures referred to in that Directive.

Please note that the above is not required for devices classified in a class lower than class III.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom