What to include in SOP Definitions section

Hi there,

Have been writing/editing SOPs for years but am interested in others opinions about what should be included in a Definitions section.

Personally I think it is only terms that require interpretation within the context of the SOP. Terms that are commonly understood by the organization / industry should not be included, rather terms that could be interpreted differently, so the definitions section helps bolster the interpretation within context of the SOP. I personally like small definitions sections. And don't get me started on lengthy Responsibilities sections! :)

Opinions?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hi there,

Have been writing/editing SOPs for years but am interested in others opinions about what should be included in a Definitions section.

Personally I think it is only terms that require interpretation within the context of the SOP. Terms that are commonly understood by the organization / industry should not be included, rather terms that could be interpreted differently, so the definitions section helps bolster the interpretation within context of the SOP. I personally like small definitions sections. And don't get me started on lengthy Responsibilities sections! :)

Opinions?

Thanks!
Hi there,

Opinions?

Thanks!
What I do is to include acronyms.
For instance, Instead to mention Into the sop, furnaces production manager , I define FPM and this is known in all the system, or any special need, e g. engineering quotation software means EQS. Hope this helps.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Good day @kjlcm ;
Not sure what governance (if any) you/your organization is working under in regards to developing SOP,s, however, I would first ask WHY does your organization need a "Definitions section?"

I am in agreement that many organizations (certainly NOT all) have so many terms, local colloquialisms, etc..etc..., that clarifying what is meant by these is sometimes necessary. Indeed, sometimes common terms such as "component" vs. "part" vs "material" have unique and significant meanings/applications, and the lack of clear definition can cause confusion at minimum and lead to nonconformances at most.

Based on my professional experience, IF your organization determines it needs to capture definitions, I would council against including a "definitions section" directly on your SOP,s. The logic for this is that the same term is often used in multiple documents (i.e. SOP,s etc...). If that is the case then by using the method I infer from your original post, your organization will have the "same" definition stated multiple times/redundantly across numerous documents. When I have seen this applied in the real world, it was rare when I would see a same/common definition used consistently.

Instead, IF your organization determines it needs to capture definitions, I would suggest following the lead of certain OEM,s and create stand a lone "terms and definitions" document/list, which can then be referenced as a single point of information instead of redundantly placing the "same" definition across multiple locations.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Sam Lazzara

Trusted Information Resource
In each of my medical device SOPs, I have a section called DEFINITIONS and it says "Refer to Quality System Glossary QSM2". All personnel are trained on QSM2 so they have awareness of its existence.

The Quality System Glossary is conjoined to the Quality Manual and it includes all pertinent quality system definitions.
Over 90% of the definitions come from authoritative external documents such as regulations and standards, with ISO 9001:2015 being the most prolific. The Glossary also includes industry and company-particular abbreviations.

For each definition, an "External Reference" citation is provided. If the same term is defined differently by relevant regulations/standards I provide all of the different definitions. For example, the term MANUFACTURER has many different definitions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A EN ISO 14971:2019 does not include the Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
R Do Medical Device Complaints include Clinical Trials? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S 510k: What to include if your own device is the predicate US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Watchcat Does 820.30 include the manufacturing process? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Watchcat Does ISO 13485 7.3 include the manufacturing process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
G Control Plan - Include the processes for each sub component? APQP and PPAP 2
B Does EN ISO 15223-1:2016 include the graphic symbols to be added to software and IFU? Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
M Technical File (STED) labelling - When you compile tech files do we have to include all the product labels? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B MDSAP for OEM products in Canada for in vitro diagnostic test kit to include lancing device Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.3 - Is it possible to exclude one product but include it in other? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Calibration laboratory scope - Include software such as Gagetrak or Mini tab used? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Include IFU in Class II Medical Device Marketing Brochure? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Q MDSAP Regions and how to include in procedures Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
G How to include machine error in uncertainty calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
B Quality Policy does not include a commitment to comply with legal requirements Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
K Does ISO 13485:2016 - 7.2.3 Customer Communication include Marketing? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Does nonconforming product include reagents/disposables? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Manufacturing Work Instruction examples that include process pictures Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q To include Context and Interested Parties in Process Map? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Does CE Marking include compliance to WEEE and packaging waste? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Does nonconforming product disposition include parts bought from the supplier? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
shimonv Does 510(k) submission need to include UDI Data Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
Q Where to include other types of Nonconformities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Paul Simpson Does Knowledge Management include aspects of Information Security? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J How to understand the word "include" in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Crimpshrine13 IATF 16949 Audits to include Processes and Products from Non Subscribing Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
E Updating DHF (Design History File) to include Alternative Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Include homogeneity uncertainty into budget table for thermocouples Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
J What does "other relevant management roles" include? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
I As a part of validation, should i include the acceptance criteria of CPk index >1.33? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M Changing FMEA template to include Detection Ranking for the PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 2
WEAVER Gage R&R Sample Selection - Can we include NG Samples? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
V ICH Q3 - To "Include OR Not to Include" impurities below reporting threshold General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P What to include in a Clinical Evaluation Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Include non-automotive in TS16949 Registration Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G Does AS9100 Certificate include ISO 9001 Certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
B COA (Certificate of Analysis) - What information should they include? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H What does the PEM-gate review include? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P What should a Quality Plan Include and Examples Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
C Document Control - Details to include on Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Need to include Premise of Outsourced Call Center in ISMS Surveillance Audit? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
C Include *ALL* business processes in QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Wireless Dongle - Include in Medical Device Testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
M How to include Gas Measurement Equipment Servicing & Calibration Scope to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D IMR (Individuals and Moving Range) Chart for Short-Run SPC - How much data to include Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1