What TYPES of documents are in your QMS (Quality Management System)?

L

lrl116

My organization is trying to redefine our documentation types because there is always confusion with the staff on how to classify/identify a document. We currently classify documents as one of the following from highest to lowest level documentation: processes; workflows; desk level procedures; work instructions; letters; forms; logs; and templates.

There is always confusion on the difference between a desk level procedure and a work instruction. Also, we do not have good definitions to explain the difference between a form, letter, log, template. I am looking for definitions that others use for these types of documents.

Does anyone have advice on how we can simplify this documentation process?

Also, do other organizations consider a log a "document" or a "record"?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
lrl116 said:
My organization is trying to redefine our documentation types because there is always confusion with the staff on how to classify/identify a document. We currently classify documents as one of the following from highest to lowest level documentation: processes; workflows; desk level procedures; work instructions; letters; forms; logs; and templates.

There is always confusion on the difference between a desk level procedure and a work instruction. Also, we do not have good definitions to explain the difference between a form, letter, log, template. I am looking for definitions that others use for these types of documents.

Does anyone have advice on how we can simplify this documentation process?"
We use the following
QMS Document - this is our quality manual (some may call the policy manual).
Procedures
General work instructions and forms(department applicable)
Specific work instructions and forms(part applicable)
Records

lrl116 said:
I consider it neither. I keep a log of activities in the inspections departments. Weekly this information is summerized. Then the logs are destroyed.

Hope this helps a bit.

D

donaghadee - 2008

We adopt:

Quality Manual
Quality Procedures (as required for ISO9001)
Business Procedures – vertical business processes
Support Procedures – HR, Security etc
Work Instructions – specific to tasks
Documents – record forms etc

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Quality Manual
(Policies)
Procedures
Work Instructions
Forms

Policies in Parentheses because most policies are in the Quality Manual. We have other policies, though, that are not "part of the QMS" but are still controlled. It helps keep auditors away from things they shouldn't care about - like vacation and internet usage policies.

S

Sleepless

I've never set any form of priority on any of the document "types" before so that's something I couldn't comment on other than MAYBE that's what might be causing some confusion??

We use the Quality Manual as the primary entry point into our QMS, and it contains the policies. To reinforce the QMS, we have processes and templates which are required for each project. As proof of the QMS, we have records (such as logs, minutes, and test results).

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
lrl116 said:

Does anyone have advice on how we can simplify this documentation process?

It's ok to do it, but do you really need to define different kinds, or levels? If you were not doing ISO, would you still need to do that? A document is any item that captures and communicates information. A Log is kind of halfway in between a docuemnt and record. You keep adding additional lines to it, but the previous in doesn't change. Most people control it as a record.

L

lrl116

It sounds like it is ok not to document control logs and just track them as records. I always thought that the blank log had to be document controlled and the filled out log is the record. The confusion for me is, what if the log is on-going and never ends? In this case, when is it a record?

From all of these suggestions I am also leaning toward calling all controlled documents that will end up as a record a "form". Whether it is a template, letter, form, or log in general they are all document controlled as forms.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
lrl116 said:
It sounds like it is ok not to document control logs and just track them as records. I always thought that the blank log had to be document controlled and the filled out log is the record. The confusion for me is, what if the log is on-going and never ends? In this case, when is it a record?

From all of these suggestions I am also leaning toward calling all controlled documents that will end up as a record a "form". Whether it is a template, letter, form, or log in general they are all document controlled as forms.
Whether or not a log becomes a controlled form or not is either a matter of preference or necessity on the part of the individual company. You might choose to control a form if it's important for some reason that fields and format don't get changed without being reviewed. If a form is a matter of convenience, and all that's important is the information written on it, regardless of format, then there's no need to control the form. For example, where I work we use a PPAP review form but it's not controlled because the only requirement is that the person doing the review write down the findings and send them on to the people responsible for final approval. A form is used for convenience, but the same could be accomplished without a form.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Planning to categorize documents - What Document Types? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Technical Documentation Package (TDP) - Listing of the types of documents contained Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C How do you Manage different Types of Documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Documents of External Origin II - Three types of Documents of External Origin ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Types of documents to control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
L Allowable AC mains fuse types for latest IEC60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
E Different types of Actions? CARs, OFIs or N/A ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R ISO9001 & ISO13485 QMS for 2 types of products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Rameshwar25 Other types of Control Charts described in Chapter II of SPC Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
P Any official doc/spec on different types of Yield calculation? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.2.2.1 - Internal audit program - Types of evidence Internal Auditing 1
S ITAR Document Types and Training Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
Q Where to include other types of Nonconformities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R 21 CFR Part 820.186 - Types of Quality System Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C What types of Calibration Metrics are Collected General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Double Thermocouple - Two types, same sheath (AMS2750/Nadcap) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
S Clarification regarding types of processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Types of nonactive Medical Device implants - What is the origin of this codification? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Types of Controlled Documentation - Call Lists of Emergency Contacts Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
M Process Approach: Types & number of processes required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
G Comparison Study of CMMs and software along with Probe Types Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
V CMM plane construction method types and accuracy differences for measuring Pos Tol Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Latest types of Fire Extinguishers in India Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
L Capability studies on machine types - Supplier has over 1000 machines Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
I Types of Internal Audit findings based on ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.2 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
C Chrysler Quality Definitions? Chrysler has identified six types of quality Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
C AUDITS! Different types of audits and what they mean? General Auditing Discussions 9
U Dial Gages of all types in company flood - How to recover them General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Z KFDA (Korea) Device Change Regulations - What are 32 Types of Changes Exempted? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
E Implementing Risk Management - Required Document Types ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
P NQA-1 Requirement 17 Quality Records - Facility Types and Temporary Storage Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Michael Malis FDA Guidance for Herpes Simplex Virus Types 1 and 2 Serological Assays US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
B What are the Types of Quality Tools? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
R Inspection types A, B AND C used in FMEA Preparation FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Design for Six Sigma to be applied for different types of Manufacturing Processes Six Sigma 1
R Different types of Design and Development - AS9100C Clause 7.3 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Q Different Types of Audits in Medical Device industry Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
E Types of Standards and Harmonized Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
N Report Content of 2 types of Calibration on the same equipment - Timer and Speed Test General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
N Difference between different types of Benchtop Convection Ovens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Q How should I Keep my various types of records .. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J BS EN131-1:2007 Standards (Ladders, Specification for terms, types, functional sizes) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Determination of UMDNS Code for various types of Contact Lens ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Marc Three-Inch Device Detects 3,000 Types of Viruses and Bacteria World News 0
M Types of Yearly Quality Goals for all Manufacturing Associates Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
O Average Life Cycle Duration for a large number of medical equipment types Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
E Calibration of Calipers, Mics, Height gauges - Recommended Gage Block Types General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7