What will happen if you can't answer questions of recruiters?

J

Jennyfd

Hi all
Imagine that you're in an interview and you can't answer a specialized of recruiters. How to deal? What do you say?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all
Imagine that you're in an interview and you can't answer a specialized of recruiters. How to deal? What do you say?
I think that in an interview for a job there is not any right response of wrong response. It is not a quiz, but only a way of being, showing yourself as you are. On the contrary, if you are compelled to responde in attitudinal test in writing, so in that case there is right or not, but also in this case you shall be calm. This is the right attitude.:bigwave:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Hi all
Your posts thus far seem to exhibit a lot of stress about the interview process. If you are located in the United States, every state has an agency which deals with employment issues of its citizens. Those agencies often have free classes, seminars, and training films plus group sessions where folks can learn and practice interview techniques. If you live outside the US, tell us where and we can try to recommend some hands-on learning resources to become comfortable in an interview setting.

To answer your direct question (what if the recruiter asks a specialized [question] about the field or industry that the candidate can't answer?):

First, tell the truth, that you don't know the exact answer, but if you know "something" about the topic, you can add, "but I do know this, and I am certain it would only take me a short while to get up to speed on that particular aspect of my field."
ADDED IN EDIT:

:topic:
There is a recent survey (I'll try to supply a link later - link is to an executive summary of the survey) which concludes that a large percentage of applicants for jobs are vastly over-estimating their skill levels when applying for jobs and the interviewers are becoming more cognizant of this and giving less credence to the skill sets laid out in resumes and are more closely cross-examining applicants to determine the REAL skill level of the applicant. A number I specifically recall from the survey is that, overall, recruiters and interviewers are responding they think less than 1 in 5 applicants actually have the skill levels they claim on applications and resumes.

My advice to job applicants is to prepare an "honest" Skills Assessment Matrix and be realistic about the suitability of your skill level for the targeted job opening. Review this post for tips on preparing a Skills Assessment Matrix.

Last edited:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I've seen clips of several articles in the past month which emphasize "some" interviewers for notable companies like Google, Apple, etc. are asking "far out" questions in the interview, illustrating a trend to look for folks who can think "out of the box."

One question which has cropped up at several companies:
"How would you move Mt. Fuji 100 miles from its present location?"

J.P. Morgan has been reported as asking candidates to recite pi to six decimals (3.141592).

The idea, of course, is, first and foremost, to see how the candidate reacts/responds, regardless of whether the answer is technically correct.

These are different from the so-called stress interview where the interviewer posits an absolutely unanswerable no win question similar to the one in the Star Trek episode where we learn Captain Kirk circumvented the losing answers to come up with the correct one which was not on the list of acceptable choices.

My question is this:
Are Cove readers hearing of or experiencing similar off the wall interview questions or is this "trend" really just a figment of some writer's imagination extrapolated from one or two isolated instances?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I actually have interviewed folks both in Washington state (to replace me) and here in South Carolina for statistical jobs. One thing that really worried me about some of the applicants was - I'd ask them a fairly technical question like - "Do you know what AQL is?" They'd say yes - and so then I said - "explain it". And they mangled it miserably, or worse, had to admit that they had not a clue.

Now, I'll admit I can't restate the definition of AQL from memory, but at least could give the basic concept and then where to go to find the details. In fact, I'd rather the interviewee had said - I don't know, but I would do the following to find out what it was than to have them try to fake it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT De Novo Post-Mortem 6 – How Does This Even Happen? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K What is supposed to happen when a CA cannot be closed out or the root cause... General Auditing Discussions 1
P Scope Document - Does anyone happen to have an Example Scope Document (4.3)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
U What if UK leaves EU? What will happen to European Authorized representative in UK? EU Medical Device Regulations 22
R IEC 62133 to satisfy 60601-1 3rd edition - What happen to 60086-4 Other Medical Device Related Standards 18
M FMEA for Drilling Process - What kind of failure can happen during drilling process? FMEA and Control Plans 8
AnaMariaVR2 Jason Fried: Why work doesn?t happen at work Career and Occupation Discussions 3
bio_subbu Never happen in life again??!!!! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
A Repeat Major NC - What can happen during External Audit by Registrar General Auditing Discussions 23
J Changes to AIAG's FMEA manual to happen in the 3rd quarter of 2007 FMEA and Control Plans 10
T ISO 14001 Registered and out of Compliance - What should happen? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 13
K What will happen if our QMS, which is QS-9000, certificate expires? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B Will ISO 9001 be modified in 2008? What will happen to TS 16949? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M How to answer ISO9001:2015 audit finding of old revisions of documents being used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
qualprod ISO 9001 - 9.3.2 c) 7 is answer for 8.4.1? Performance of external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Formulas to be able to answer these Run Chart questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
B What is your pat answer when a co-worker asks about ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Do I need to answer Audit Observations? General Auditing Discussions 33
S "Answer books" for ISO/TS 16949 Implementation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Major NADCAP Magnetic Inspection Nonconformance - How to answer it? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
E Should I refuse to answer personal questions during the interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 59
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It Depends,? Part 2 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It depends,? Part 1 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Q How to answer these standard HR Employment Interview Questions Career and Occupation Discussions 8
P If you had 1 minute with the CEO to answer - Why is quality good for the company? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 44
B Overall Process Capability - Simple question if you know how to answer it! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E Management refuses to answer Corrective Action request Nonconformance and Corrective Action 43
Anerol C Need to answer a Car due the CAR answering process and implentation is not workin Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Q Is my Cpk calculator answer valid? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
Y Functional Testing The only Answer to Quality After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
H How do I answer an audit finding I don?t agree with? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
T Employee Reviews not completed - Audit Finding - Difficult Finding to Answer Internal Auditing 31
L VDA Product Submission Form - Please help a Cove newbie answer a VDA question VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 12
H Countermeasure Answer on Decision Making - Need help Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
B Is Minitab technical support answer 2255 wrong? Using Minitab Software 5
Jim Wynne Microsoft's answer to the iPhone? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 9
Marc Visualizing "Answer People" In Online Discussions After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
D How to answer customer?s TQM test paper? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
L Corrective action following a wrong answer of the auditee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Jim Wynne Jobseekers: Don't take "no" for an answer Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
D Can several trainees share one answer sheet? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
J Implement TS16949 Quality System - How to answer Question at Interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
Al Rosen Example of an Ad Not to Answer Career and Occupation Discussions 22
A Where can I get information to answer queries realted to OHSAS 18001? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
L Audit Nonconformance - Not following Control Plan - How to answer Request for CA? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
R In a perfect world, who does the Quality Organization answer to? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
H Statistics Guru? What method is appropriate to calculate the answer Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
G Our employees are overwhelmed by ISO 9000 requirements - Is Training the Answer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10