What would you give up to prove conformity and honesty?

K

Ka Pilo

Records Custodian took an Absence Without Leave. He was not able to hand-over some records. Unfurtunately, the record that an Auditor was looking for was part of said records that need to be turned over.

Supervisor (auditee) said he is certain that there was an inspection happened and batch number of product was indicated in the Monitoring Form, which the auditor wants to see, but they (auditee/area responsible) still have to look for it. Supervisor has promised to cut one egg if a batch number of product of a certain transaction was not indicated. Obviously the auditee simply used a metaphor to emphasize honesty. He requested at least 2 working days to submit said record. Do you think that kind of auditee's bargaining skill acceptable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Records must be retrievable. There is no bargaining in this.
I don't find two days an acceptable amount of time to retrieve a quality record.
This tells me that there are issues with training and cross training. There should always be a back up. If I was an auditor I would dig into the training records for document and record control.

I would be far more forgiving if a record was simply misplaced.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Records Custodian took an Absence Without Leave. He was not able to hand-over some records. Unfurtunately, the record that an Auditor was looking for was part of said records that need to be turned over.

Supervisor (auditee) said he is certain that there was an inspection happened and batch number of product was indicated in the Monitoring Form, which the auditor wants to see, but they (auditee/area responsible) still have to look for it. Supervisor has promised to cut one egg if a batch number of product of a certain transaction was not indicated. Obviously the auditee simply used a metaphor to emphasize honesty. He requested at least 2 working days to submit said record. Do you think that kind of auditee's bargaining skill acceptable?
A process must not be person dependent but system dependent. You seem to have no system in place to get records retreived when necessary, let alone audit.
The audit just has found out this by an evidence
If this is systamatic in nature it is a bigger problem that you have to work on.
Do you think that kind of auditee's bargaining skill acceptable?
Sorry, not acceptable.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I would not stop an audit because a record could not be found...however, if the auditee required 2 days to find the record AND the audit was still on-going, I would accept the record as evidence to the original issue but I'd have new concerns regarding training, designates and the records management process overall.

What would have happened if this was a customer asking for a record as evidence in a legal or high-priority issue? Do you think the customer would accept a 2-day wait period?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
I would not stop an audit because a record could not be found...however, if the auditee required 2 days to find the record AND the audit was still on-going, I would accept the record as evidence to the original issue but I'd have new concerns regarding training, designates and the records management process overall.

What would have happened if this was a customer asking for a record as evidence in a legal or high-priority issue? Do you think the customer would accept a 2-day wait period?
Records shall remain legible, readily identifiable and retrievable.
....from the ISO9001
Records Custodian took an Absence Without Leave.....or with leave, or resigned from the organization..... still records shall remain legible, readily identifiable and retrievable.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

It's not at all apparent (to me, at least) what question is being asked here. I look at the thread title, the question that forms the last sentence of your post, and the mystifying bit about egg-cutting and I'm lost. Can you clarify your question?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
....from the ISO9001
Records Custodian took an Absence Without Leave.....or with leave, or resigned from the organization..... still records shall remain legible, readily identifiable and retrievable.
What's the time limit between request and retrieval?

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
....from the ISO9001
I am not questioning the standard. I am, in fact, adhering to it. As Jim asked, what is the time limit between requesting a record and retrieving it for presentation? 5 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 business day? 2 business days? Does it depend on the record being retrieved?

What I am questioning, however, is the effectivess of the Original Poster's system for records management. If, for example, a customer was requesting a record for a high-priority issue, would the organization (or the customer) accept a 2-day retrieval time? Many would not...in my opinion. Common sense does imply that 2-days is perhaps contrary to use of the of the word "readily" in the Standard.

The organization's process for records management could use some improvement, that is a given...but the actual finding is still subject to being defined.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I am not questioning the standard. I am, in fact, adhering to it. As Jim asked, what is the time limit between requesting a record and retrieving it for presentation? 5 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 business day? 2 business days? Does it depend on the record being retrieved?

What I am questioning, however, is the effectivess of the Original Poster's system for records management. If, for example, a customer was requesting a record for a high-priority issue, would the organization (or the customer) accept a 2-day retrieval time? Many would not...in my opinion. Common sense does imply that 2-days is perhaps contrary to use of the of the word "readily" in the Standard.

The organization's process for records management could use some improvement, that is a given...but the actual finding is still subject to being defined.
I think the adjective "readily" modifies "identifiable" but not "retrievable." I think this not only because of sentence structure, but because there might well be times (for example) when records have been archived off-site and can't be immediately retrieved, but are indeed retrievable.

I agree with you about effectiveness, though, if there's even an issue here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Do we have to prove a link between the mill and our raw material supplier? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
P How to Scientifically Prove the Importance of a Process - CMMI Process Areas Software Quality Assurance 7
B How to prove that an organization implements anti bribery policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C UDI Label Verification - How do we ensure the barcode is correct and prove it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S How to Statistically Prove 2 Dimensions are Related Using Minitab Software 18
U Sample size to prove parts are good with 99.73% confidence Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L What needs to be done to prove compliance with RoHS and WEEE EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Is MSA useful to prove a Measurement System after Relocation? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P How to prove that Cr oxide makes a stent biocompatible (e-polished 316LVM) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
P Testing a US device in Europe to prove Equivalence in a ?head-to-head? Study EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Reliability Prove-out, Pass-Fail Testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S ISO 17025 requirements not enough to prove NIST Traceability? ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
I Prove or disprove that a cube can be cut in 27 smaller cubes in less than 6 cuts Brain Teasers and Puzzles 14
M How do I prove I don't receive a controlled product? Ractopamine Hydrochloride Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
C Clinical Data to Prove Equivalence Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
U Can anyone prove that: 2x2=5 ? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 63
D Testing an Inspector to Prove Competency in Visual Inspection Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
S Lean System Developer - How should I work to prove myself? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
D How to Prove and Explain to Consultant (Internal Auditor) and Manager? Internal Auditing 7
M Planning requirement 5.4: How should the management prove compliance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J How to prove that we conform to legal requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
L Is there any way to prove a process is in control other than with a control chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
H How do we prove that we are improving the continual improvement process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
L How do you prove you need resources? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
J Finished Goods Testing - Using historical test data to prove finished goods OK Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Contract Review - How do you prove it? Contract Review Process 16
K Statistical Hypothesis Testing to prove signficant quality improvement or decline Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
R Deceleration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H Pedicle screw system Conformity Assessment Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
M Referencing Harmonised Standards in Declarations of Conformity EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
L MDR 745 - EU Declaration of Conformity - Signature Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A EC declaration of conformity - In the event clients ask for a copy CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDADraft Guidance – Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L Content of Declaration of conformity (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Non conformity, do nothing? Employee experiencing "hard times" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J COC (Certificate of Conformity) when NOT purchasing medical devices direct from the Manufacturer Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
N Declaration of Conformity for Product from Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational TGA – Guidance on Therapeutic Goods (Conformity Assessment Standard for Quality Management Systems) Order 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
chris1price MDR Conformity Assessment for a Class 2a device - Production Quality Assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Connection between Technical File and Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S EU conformity assessment - Certify to MDD or MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Class II Medical Device Conformity Assessment Route according to Annex V only CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
I Who is responsible for signing the Declaration of Conformity and what is their liability Imported Legacy Blogs 0
J Medical Devices in Japan - Conformity of QMS to ISO 13485 Japan Medical Device Regulations 1