What's the big picture on Notified Bodies?

J

Julie O

Can anyone give me the big picture on notified bodies? Like others, I've been hearing rumors of widespread panic among the NBs, as well as a range of activity (mergers, closings, refusing new clients) for awhile now.

I'm not sure if all if this is in anticipation of specific requirements for NBs in the new regulations, or if some other regulation or guidance has already been issued related to new standards for/re-designation of NBs.

Also, does anyone have an old list of NBs, maybe 2-5 years back? I'd be interested to track where they were before all the fun started, where they are now, and where they evolve as everything plays out, including Brexit.

It's a great time to be on the market in the EU, isn't it?:popcorn:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Can anyone give me the big picture on notified bodies?
Are you talking specifically about the NB's involved in the Medical related directives?

I don't have an answer for you, but, after the PIP case in France, and a few other "scandals", it seems to me that some of the organizations acting as NB's in the medical sector are deeply reassessing the risk-reward situation.

On the risk side: Legal exposure can be huge and, even in cases when the NB is acquitted of wrong doing, the costs for the legal defense can be very steep. Regulatory oversight is not going to get any easier and technical demands will increase.

On the reward side: Even though conformity assessment services for NB's has not been as commoditized as in the unregulated management system certification sector, there is still significant price pressure.

With a potential consolidation of NB's, the market might turn into a seller's market.

RobertvanBoxtel

Involved In Discussions
The NANDO website, although very late and slow, does provide the list of (in their opinion) current NB's. And also the old NB's are mentioned. This identifies the last update, not sure whether this is the actual date of becoming obsolete.

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
I think there are a multitude of factors that have led to the current situation with notified bodies, from my perspective:

1. 2007 recast...Introduced clearer requirements on things like clinical evaluations
notified bodies struggled to resource up, it took some time for the reviews to be reviewed (Not a huge issue, but the start of the struggles in my mind

2. PIP, MoM scandals ...led to new commission guidance, unannounced audits had to take place, joint assessement of notified bodies started
Some of the poorer notified bodies started to fail audits...this made it clear that authorities were not messing around; other notified bodies took note and rapidly tried to increase competence and resource; tried to adjust their models to suit; some were already good enough, but some are not. The increasing demand for competent assessors led to a market shortage that we are are still experiencing. This in turn has led to increased lead times, refusal to accept new customers etc. etc.

3. MDR/IVDR
The expectations on NBs are only getting higher, they all have this on the horizon and are trying to adjust so that they can comply; they are planning for the future but within the context the current environment, this is proving to be challenging

Ultimately, expectations on the oversight of medical devices are increasing to a level that I think it should have been at years ago. The industry and in particular notified bodies are struggling to meet this and are having to manage their customer base in the face of a rapid change of expectation.

It comes down to people and competence, I do not believe there is currently enough to go around and it takes time to train people up. The entire industry is struggling however NBs are a very noticeable bottleneck

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
There's some available competence down here... If you know of any NB looking for freelancers on this side of the world, feel free to send them my way :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U SPC, The Big Picture Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
K IoT, AI, Big Data and National Strategies of Other Countries (in your country, do you have any?) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 12
Ninja Getting eaten by Big Business - My company was bought by a huge multinational Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 54
A Demonstration Test Plan for Reliability of Big Equipment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
H Interesting Article:Weak Supplier Relations Costing Big 3 Automakers, Nissan Billions World News 4
L Continental Automotive (or any other big German OEM) APQP list wanted VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
A VSM: Between OP1 and OP2 there is a big conveyor. How to represent that on VSM?? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
Q ISO 9001 - 3 BIG questions to help a Newbie's Sanity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Electrical Surgical Tool with Big Metal Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
C Setup Time Reduction Project - How big should my team be? Six Sigma 2
AnaMariaVR2 Big Tobacco Lawyers going after Big Food US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
AnaMariaVR2 Big Data The Reading Room 4
1 A New Job - Replaced a QM who passed away - BIG Problems Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
R Ppk vs Cpk: Big Differences - What conclusion can I reach about my process? Six Sigma 3
F ISO 9001 Certification for a Big Government Entity - One Certificate for each Dept.? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T The best way to pull some meaningful stats from a really big project? Using Minitab Software 3
SteveK How big is your Medical Device Technical File? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Manix Engaging 'Big' Suppliers in Quality Improvement Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A When a Company is Too Big for Quality Service Industry Specific Topics 20
A How Big/How Small - Size limitation on a company being ISO 9001 certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
AnaMariaVR2 3 Regulations that Could Have a Big Bearing on Pharma in 2011 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T Big problems with Inspection - Manual Operation - Needs experts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 27
M Gage R&R for Big Parts - Approving a Variable Gage using only 1 Part Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
N G8D (the form) - No one will want to use a big, long form Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 7
Marc Microsoft Losing Big To Apple On Campus After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
Marc Google Bargains Away Net Neutrality - Big Business Winning After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Stijloor "Big Brother" Google? World News 1
M ISO 29001 Certification Industry - How big and who are the players? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
G First time flyer - My big concern other than crashing is air sickness! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 41
J Internal Audit Teams - How big the audit team should be and who should be on it General Auditing Discussions 6
A The ?Big D? (aka Dallas, TX) becomes the ?Green D? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
T The "Big Three" can do something right! World News 11
S The Big 3 - Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
Marc The end of the road for U.S. carmakers? Are the Big Three worth saving? World News 27
R Can I use Nonparametric Method to big samples? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 22
Wes Bucey Big Brother! - Even in your color laser printer After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 15
Stijloor ASQ's (American Society for Quality) Next Big Thing...... ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 16
C Gutting the Control Plan of all details and and getting it accepted by the big 3 FMEA and Control Plans 11
H Big Batch (Large Lot) Sampling - Label Printing - MIL-STD-105E Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
J Auditor training - Is there a big difference between auditing ISO 13485 & ISO 9001? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A My Company wants to Implement ISO 9001-2000 and become Certified - The Big Start ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
ScottK Local Community Message Board - Big Brother? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18
ScottK Is using a 3rd party auditor for supplier audits a big trend? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
Marc Big Three get March 2007 U.S. sales beating, Toyota cheers World News 0
L Big Shipping Error - Shipped without the CE mark on them - Need advice! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
D Big *ss Fans World News 6
J BIG 3 customer asks us - Will TS 16949 make you more effiecient? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
O PPAP Process Map - Does anyone map out the PPAP process for the Big Three? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
Marc Detroit's Big Three seek White House help World News 6
M Aftermarket and Big Three Supplier - How does this affect the quality system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3