When can you be "accredited" and not be "accredited" with A2LA?

M

micron master

Well, with A2LA, it seems it's easy.

I was quite surprised to find an expired scope up on
A2LA's list of Accredited Labs.

They have a fine print disclaimer at the top of their search page, and they say that takes care of it. The explaination is that the lab might be "in process".

When we were "in-process" for a renewal, a new scope was issued with an extended expiration date, and I assumed this is how that situation would always be handled. Apparently not.

The scope that I found, which was a competitor by the way, expired on 30 Jul 06, but was still showing on A2LA's page on 6 Dec 06. Expiration dates on scopes only appear in two places, on the actual Certificate, and on the title page of the scope.

I would suggest that all A2LA consumers pay attention to this, so you get what you think you are getting. I had foolishly assumed that if a company was linked on their
Accredited Lab page that they were (of course) current.

Never too old to learn,,,,,:bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Re: When can you be "accredited" and not be "accredited"?

I suspect you will get a lot of comments in reply, I'm just acknowledging your post.

J

JerryStem

As soon as our assessor left in early November, I emailed A2LA for an extension. I started the paperwork as normal in June, we were set to expire November 22nd.

They finally gave me a choice of auditor around Sep, and early Nov was the earliest he could do it (6-7-8th). Now I sent in the def responses, and he's gone to Japan again for at least a week, so who knows when I'll get the notice of whether I'm worthy or not? They extended the expiration to Dec 30th at least...

But, last year the 3 voting members had issues with our method of measurement uncertainty & held up our renewal for months, even months past our exp date. I had to keep explaining to customers what was going on, A2LA finally faxed a letter explaining the situation, and eventually gave an official extension.

Always something.....:rolleyes:

M

micron master

Update - This is the response from A2LA:
- Expired Scopes of Accreditation will no longer be included in the list of "Accredited Labs".

- Our Lab Services staff will be proactive in automatically granting extensions of accreditation to those laboratories in "good standing" at the end of each month so that only current Scopes are included on the list.

- A separate list will be created of "Renewals in Process". This list will be separated from the other on the website and will include a very explicit statement that the Scopes are expired, but the labs are somewhere in the renewal process. We do not want to remove these labs completely from our website, as it would unfairly give the impression that they are no longer associated with us in any way. The disclaimer included with this list, however, will instruct people to confirm completion of the renewal process before contracting for any accredited work with those labs.

As these changes will require some reprogramming of our database and modifications to our website, a full implementation date of 2/28/07 has been established.
Good news methinks.

J

Jeff Frost

If the use of A2LA is not mandated by a customer why on earth would you or should you put up with such poor customer service. Send them a letter expressing your concerns and what you expect from them. If they ignore your concerns then you should migrate your certification to another accreditation body.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Jeff Frost has a valid point.....always shop around.....

Go to http://www.ilac.org

Find the page of the ILAC signatories and query all that are operating in the North American area.....any of those signatory bodies are acceptable, and you should get quotes from all.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

M

micron master

They have never ignored my concerns, but they have not always changed to my satisfaction

Migrating is an option, but there does not seem to be
an alternative that can be called "better". I'm willing to work
within the system, but it does get frustrating.

We've been with them for 5 years now, through 3 full audits,
so the staff knows me fairly well. :notme:

J

JerryStem

As an update, finally called A2LA to check on our responses. The LSO had been out the last 2 weeks on an audit & "saw my paperwork in her in-basket" and would review it shortly.

Of course, they wanted more explanations & put it past our (extended) cert date. Sooooo, got ANOTHER extension (this time till late Feb) & at least had it done the last day we were here before the holidays, so it could be put on our website to try to stave off the onslaught of requests for new certs.

So, it's ILAC huh?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Calibration of equipment in an A2LA accredited testing laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
T Field Decay Test - Can any one recommend few independent and A2lA accredited labs? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
S Labels identifying accredited standards - Considering making labels with A2LA Logo General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L A2LA - Sending testing to a non-accredited lab if customer doesn't require A2LA? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Compliance with ISO 9001-2015 for ISO 17025 Accredited Labs? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
AllTheThings ISO-17025 accredited TEST lab performing internal calibrations (Yes: Here is how) ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Must a company be 17025 accredited to perform internal calibrations? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E Accredited vs. non-accredited labs for 60601 compliance in the US IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Accredited vs. non-accredited labs for 60601 compliance in the US Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Calibration Certificate Result issued by an accredited external laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
N Database that lists labs accredited to ASTM / ANSI standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
G What to do with correction factors overlooked by an accredited standard (6.4.11)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
B Directory of Largest Global Certification Bodies (Accredited) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
B Accredited laboratory or not under MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
W ISO standards /Social Audit Franchise (Accredited & Non Accredited) Service Industry Specific Topics 7
D Who are the accredited Certified Bodies for CE Mark for Medical Devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
Jen Kirley Is your registrar (CB) accredited? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
Q ISO 14001:2015 accredited but import most product - CB Raised minor NC on Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
S CB accredited by non-aligned AB - industry views? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I IATF 16949, accredited logos, calibration capabilities, etc. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
I ISO 9001 and VWAD (Verified-Accredited Wholesale Distributors certification) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
B AS9100 - Are special process suppliers required to be NADCAP accredited? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
I FAR Part 43 and Application to 17025 Accredited Cal Lab Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
S Is it mandatory for a Calibration Lab to be ISO 17025 accredited? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Sidney Vianna IAF Endorsed Accredited 13485 Certification helping Control of Medical Distributors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
M BS 10008:2014 Registration - UKAS accredited company in the UK to assess our company IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
JoCam Use of ISO Logos if company is not certified by an accredited certification body ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
P ISO 9001 Requirements for ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
C CB Accreditaton - CB that was accredited by IAS Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
Crusader Calibration Source not ISO 17025 accredited ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Do Microbiology Testing Labs need to use ISO 17025 accredited vendors? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
L What are Accredited laboratories? (Medical Device Class IIb Related) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion IAF CertSearch Database - Repository of "properly" Accredited Management System Certs ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 80
E Should companies that perform calibration services be ISO 17025 accredited? ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
DietCokeofEvil How is it that gage manufacturers are not required to be accredited? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A How many laboratories are accredited to ISO 17025 in the USA? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
B ISO 17025 Accredited Certificate Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Ajit Basrur ICCBBA Is Now an FDA-Accredited Issuing Agency for Unique Device Identifiers (UDI) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
U Once upon a QMS - Is a Statement of Uncertainty a must for ISO 17025 accredited labs? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
N How Do I Make a Business Plan - 17025 Accredited Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
N Internal Calibration vs. Accredited Calibration for Balance - Differences Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
T To establish ISO 9001:2008 in a ISO 17025 accredited Company ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
N Calibration Lab unable to issue Accredited Certificate when error is too high? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E Accredited Persons Inspection Program (APIP) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2