When did you first use what we call E-Mail (aka email) today?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Tell us your story. I first used email in the 1980's as a Wikipedia reference-linkFidoNet node, and also working in the defense industry.

When did you first start using "e-mail"?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
I am not sure of the year, but a service provider had provided the email id, which I used to send mails to others, by going to his center and paying for the PC time used. I used to collect prints of received mails for my record purpose when needed. There was nothing like spam mail then ...

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I got my first e-mail address back in 93 or 94 when I used the local collage to get on the something called the Internet (using dial up, 2400 baud if I remember correctly). Back then I (we) did not have internet browsers so I had to memorize the address I wanted and navigate like DOS.

I did not use the e-mail much since I only knew of one other person who had an e-mail address and we mostly used the phone. E-mail for file transfers was way too slow, it was faster to just drive it over.

jfries2

Involved In Discussions
When I was working for IBM during the 80's, we had PROFS (PRoffessional OFfice System) for intra-company email. PROFS gained infamy during the Iran Contra scandal where Oliver North thought he had deleted his emails, only to learn that they were archived by the system.

Randy

Super Moderator
Way back in the early 90's while working as a contractor at Fort Irwin for Lockheed

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Very early 90's...the big VAX core system with dumb terminals..."email" was only possible within the VAX network.

Had a terminal in the fraternity house, with a modem where you dialed a phone then put it in the 40# cradle and listened to the beeps and whooops to verify the connection.
Haven't seen the word "baud" for a long, long time...

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Late 80's work email. Only within the company and it was on the VAX network. Dumb terminals but you could get white, green or orange text! I actually had a 9kbaud modem and a terminal in my apartment so I could access email and our ERP system from home. It was so cool...
I got one of the first aol accounts in the early 90s...

N

ncwalker

1981. I was a kid poking around on BBS being yelled at for tying up the one house phone at 1200 baud.

(My kid stuff was CRITICAL, I tell you, CRITICAL. I needed those POKE and PEEK codes. Mom, you can just WALK to the neighbors).

Top Bottom