When Documented Work Instructions (WI) are NOT Needed

J

JaneB

I'd like to know what gets your 'vote' for the example of the most useless work instruction or procedure you've come across that really, really did NOT need to be documented.

The idea was prompted by reading something Cliff wrote elsewhere:

There is a device called a ribbon blender that mixes powdered materials together. The accompanying work instruction (I've seen more than one) boils down to this, once you strip away all the extraneous words:

Fill hopper with material.
Put receptacle under chute.
Turn blender on.
Run until hopper is empty.
Turn blender off.
Take receptacle away.

Here are my 2 "all-time ridiculous waste of time" examples (alas! real - until I killed them off)

A. The 'dairy products process'.
This one was created by an over-eager beaver. Once you actually interpreted the flow chart and the words, & got rid of the extra stuff, it translated into:

1. Figure out how much milk people might need.
  2. Order the milk.
  3. When it arrives, put it in the fridge.

No, I am not, repeat not, kidding you.

B. The trucking process.
This one came from a company whose business was waste management. Note that in the USA where you say 'trash', we (Australia, UK) say 'rubbish'.

A full-2 page 'flow' diagram procedure actually boiled down to:

1. Drive your truck to each address on your list.
2. Pick up the rubbish container there, & empty it into your truck.
3. Do this until your truck is full.
4. Go to the rubbish tip and empty your truck.
5. Now, continue until you've done all the addresses on your list.

What other delights (groan) do people have?

S

sridharafep

Re: When Instructions are NOT needed

In a factory environment, if an operation can be answered by 2 or 3 related function employees in a sinilar flow then there is no need of work instruction.

If the answer is no then need a good work instruction. (It can be a simple - flow map)

May require good training to avoid Work instructions.

I am sure most of the WI are made for the purpose of certification and never refered. (My 18 years experience)

So better decide according to the criticality of the operation and suitability.

Let us add value to our System.

Sridhar

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: When Documented Work Instructions are NOT Needed

Not exactly on topic, but a company I worked for got a new phone system, and everyone got a brochure with instructions for using the various features. There was one set of instructions called "Answering a Call." The user was advised to:
  1. Lift receiver
  2. Begin conversation

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Not exactly on topic, but a company I worked for got a new phone system, and everyone got a brochure with instructions for using the various features. There was one set of instructions called "Answering a Call." The user was advised to:
  1. Lift receiver
  2. Begin conversation

Jim,

You're kidding right? :mg:

Stijloor.

J

JaneB

1. Lift receiver
  2. Begin conversation

Yes, good one. I sincerely (not) hope it ended with

1. End conversation
  2. Replace receiver

Otherwise you could have been left hanging! :D

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

1. Lift receiver
  2. Begin conversation

After the implementation of the new phone system, they did a test. 78% (disclaimer: auditor statistic was improvised on the fly) of the participants passed the test. Thus the implementation was determined to be successful. (The remaining 22%, I assume gave up on phone calls and began using email...?)

T

tyker

My shower, at home, was in need of a little TLC so I went to the local supermarket, the biggest chain in the UK, and bought some of their own brand shower cleaner.

The instructions begin:

"For best results, start with a clean shower".

You can't fault their logic.

CalRich

Involved In Discussions

Here's one in our company for maintenance people. I love the definitions, which seem more elaborate than the terms themselves.

I.Purpose: To insure all aspects of the facilities are in proper and safe working condition.
II.Resources needed. Radios, tools, equipment, etc.
III.Definitions:
1.Radio: A wireless device used for transmission or reception of sound by means of electric waves.
2.Tools: A device worked by hand.
3.Equipment: Resources used to perform certain or specific tasks.

1.0 Daily Activities
1.1 After clocking in report to maintenance shop for assignments.
1.2 After completing assignment, make sure all parts are discarded or returned to shop for rebuild or inspection.
1.3 Return all shop supplies, tools or equipment to proper location.
1.4 Report to Supervisor or Lead Man for next assignment.
1.5 Fill out completed work orders.

2.0 End of shift.
2.1 Insure work area is clean.
2.2 Report progress to supervisor.
2.3 Clock out.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

1. Lift receiver
  2. Begin conversation
:lmao:
Phew. Glad I was doing it right! :agree1:

Top Bottom