When exactly can a corrective action be closed?

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
If I have a corrective action open (8D form) and the plan is created and implemented, can I close the CAR? If the ongoing effectiveness check is something that happens yearly it doesn't make sense to keep a corrective action open forever, so do you close it and then use an internal audit program to validate that the CAR is closed?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
In my 8-D reporting system, I added a second completion column for "Tasks-Complete". I track and internally report Tasks-Complete date as a KPI for our Improvement process.

One of those tasks I am tracking in Tasks Complete is a defined plan for Effectiveness Check, including task owner assigned and target date. In this way, the task for Effectiveness Check plan can be marked complete, even though the effectiveness check might not occur until months in the future.

For illustration, let's say the next production run for that part number is scheduled 12 months from now. The infrequency of the production schedule is not a reflection on the problem-solving ability or perseverance of the 8-D team. I don't fully close out the 8-D record in my tracker until the Effectiveness Check is complete, but this strategy allows me to move a Corrective Action project off the active investigations list, because no one is actively working on the 8-D investigation, we are only waiting of the passage of time (until the next production run, in this example).

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
I would not hold an NCR that is under control open for years. If you are not careful they will be lost in the shuffle. Do your best with it. Make sure it is moving in the right direction. Include these measures you have determined as need to fully verify the results into other documentation, such as procedures, work instructions, or even notes for the next production run of that part (which may never happen) and move on. Don't get lost in the past.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I When exactly was "competence" added to the ISO-9001 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
E PPAP Checking aids, what to do exactly? APQP and PPAP 5
L What exactly does Configuration Management in ISO 9001, Clause 7.5.3 means? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Exactly which are the records needed by ISO9001? or is it my decision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Crusader Who is "Top Management" exactly in ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A What exactly is Facility Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Control Plan vs. Inspection Plan - What exactly is the difference FMEA and Control Plans 5
S What exactly is retesting? Is re-analysis and retesting the same? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K What exactly is Digital Product Definition? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
A Definition Contract Review - What exactly is "Contract Review"? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
ScottK What exactly is a "Process of Record" and what goes into it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Who exactly needs "ISO Training" in a company? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
R Definition What is exactly meaning of word between "Supplier" and "Vendor" ? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
R What exactly would a Stage I Assessment consist of for ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Precontrol - What if two points are exactly on the limit? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
H Confirmation of software - Exactly what the last paragraph of 7.6 is asking for? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L ISO 14001 4.4.4 d) - What exactly are the documents and records required by ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
J What exactly does 4.2.3.1 "Engineering Specifications" in ISO/TS 16949 mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
Q Control methods - What exactly are 'control methods' in a Control Plan APQP and PPAP 6
Crusader Where do I exactly implement TS 16949 - minimum? Only 2% of business is OEM IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
A What exactly has to be included in a TS 16949 records matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Six Sigma is now said to be a set of tools - What, exactly, are they? Six Sigma 24
D Automotive manufacturing process - Our process isn't exactly like APQP APQP and PPAP 5
S What does OEM exactly mean? What does "equipment" include? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R NIST - Primary Standard - Traceable to what? What exactly does that imply? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
Tom W Not responsible for product design - Exactly which parts of 7.3 do not apply? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
F Definition Retention Zone - What exactly are you calling zones of retention? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
D APQP - No two companies conduct their APQP/PPAP activities exactly alike APQP and PPAP 2
M Exactly how high in the organization is it necessary to have training records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
D Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly Cm / Cmk are? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D What exactly is needed on the subcontractor list for evaluating subcontractors QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P Corrective Action Response for Missed bumps on brake press Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Stakeholder Initiated Corrective and Preventive Action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
L What to do if a Corrective Action requires several extensions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
Q Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Q Do we have to document all corrections and corrective actions in ISO 9001 10.2.2 ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
B How to reply NCR on ineffectiveness of corrective action during IATF external audit? This is repeated issue whereby some mistake was done. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Differences - Nonconformances vs CAPA, Corrections vs Corrective Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
I AS9100D Non-conformance for 10.2.1 b 2 and 10.2.1. b 3 e and f - Corrective Action AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
F Vigilance Reporting - Requirements for manufacturer Field Corrective Actions (FCAs) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
I Audit Nonconformances - Can reported corrective actions be incomplete? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
I Corrective Action Tracking for Product and Process in the same system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6