When exactly was "competence" added to the ISO-9001 standard?

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
I just got beaten up in an audit when I tried to put forth evidence of training when the auditor asked me about competence.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

blackholequasar

Involved In Discussions
Yep! I got hit on that one too. That was added in the 2015 language. You can train someone all you want, it doesn't prove that their 'competent' at their job. This is done through evaluations, testing (applicable standards may apply like IPC) and documented information regarding performance. Since the company I worked for had not performed employee evaluations for a few years, this was something we had to put together relatively quickly.

I guess saying "the employee is competent because they still are working here and in their position" doesn't fulfill the standard haha ;)

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Trusted Information Resource
I wrote several open book quizzes trainees were required to take and make 75% or greater on. When asked by my auditor why it was an open book I responded "The SOPs are all available 100% of the time online. If they can look up an SOP to find the answer to the quiz they can also look up the SOP to do their job competently."

Tagin

I think also one can use nonconformance issues related to a person's role to also be an indicator of competence. If there is a lack of n/c's as a result of that person's work, it at least implies competence, even if its not a formal evaluation.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I think also one can use nonconformance issues related to a person's role to also be an indicator of competence.
I dealt with this back in 1998 in QS-9000 (and again soon after in TS 16949) audits. Data is what I used way back then to beat off some 'difficult' auditors with, and never lost. Internal and external nonconformance data, mainly.

Actually, there are many things you can shut down a 'difficult' auditor with using data.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The only 'failure mode' with NC data is in companies which do not have effective / robust / comprehensive nonconformance systems (Both Internal and External) which is... Many companies... An example is a company I worked with some years ago which believed their NC system was very good, which in general it was. But as I pointed out, problems identified in their routine service visits were not going into their nonconformance system. Sort of a "...you missed a spot..." moment.

normzone

" Exactly. What would an incompetent employee do to our metrics? If you can show that there is little to argue with. "

[Ed], to play devils advocate to the question you posed, let me posit that any root cause analysis in an organization's records that relied on that old saw "operator error", with training as the correction, might lead in that direction.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Usually, newcomers are under close supervision until they have demonstrated their competence. You’ll also have evidence that supervisors are competent to evaluate the competence of the employees for which they are responsible.

You may find the supervisor defines the required abilities, skills and knowledge (for the recruiting and training process).

Process Owner or department manager could maintain a matrix for each process or department to show who is competent to complete jobs well without close supervision, who is still under evaluation and who plans to acquire the necessary competencies.

Start by working closely with supervisors to analyze how it works right now. You’ll find on health and safety grounds alone they will not knowingly allow an incompetent worker to work alone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Watchcat FDA will not tolerate fraud…meaning what, exactly? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
I When exactly can a corrective action be closed? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
E PPAP Checking aids, what to do exactly? APQP and PPAP 5
L What exactly does Configuration Management in ISO 9001, Clause 7.5.3 means? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Exactly which are the records needed by ISO9001? or is it my decision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Crusader Who is "Top Management" exactly in ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A What exactly is Facility Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Control Plan vs. Inspection Plan - What exactly is the difference FMEA and Control Plans 5
S What exactly is retesting? Is re-analysis and retesting the same? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K What exactly is Digital Product Definition? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
A Definition Contract Review - What exactly is "Contract Review"? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
ScottK What exactly is a "Process of Record" and what goes into it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Who exactly needs "ISO Training" in a company? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
R Definition What is exactly meaning of word between "Supplier" and "Vendor" ? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
R What exactly would a Stage I Assessment consist of for ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Precontrol - What if two points are exactly on the limit? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
H Confirmation of software - Exactly what the last paragraph of 7.6 is asking for? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L ISO 14001 4.4.4 d) - What exactly are the documents and records required by ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
J What exactly does 4.2.3.1 "Engineering Specifications" in ISO/TS 16949 mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
Q Control methods - What exactly are 'control methods' in a Control Plan APQP and PPAP 6
Crusader Where do I exactly implement TS 16949 - minimum? Only 2% of business is OEM IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
A What exactly has to be included in a TS 16949 records matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Six Sigma is now said to be a set of tools - What, exactly, are they? Six Sigma 24
D Automotive manufacturing process - Our process isn't exactly like APQP APQP and PPAP 5
S What does OEM exactly mean? What does "equipment" include? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R NIST - Primary Standard - Traceable to what? What exactly does that imply? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
Tom W Not responsible for product design - Exactly which parts of 7.3 do not apply? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
F Definition Retention Zone - What exactly are you calling zones of retention? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
D APQP - No two companies conduct their APQP/PPAP activities exactly alike APQP and PPAP 2
M Exactly how high in the organization is it necessary to have training records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
D Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly Cm / Cmk are? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D What exactly is needed on the subcontractor list for evaluating subcontractors QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
K OEM specific requirements - PPAP was rejected by STA Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
K %GRR was between 10-30% so we have to have a "backup plan" per auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
U Own Procedure was not effectively implemented Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
B How to reply NCR on ineffectiveness of corrective action during IATF external audit? This is repeated issue whereby some mistake was done. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R Major nonformance finding was given during a closing meeting of a ISO9001 certification audit General Auditing Discussions 76
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Ed Panek ISOTECH TTI-10 found out of calibration - Calibration house was wrong? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
E Audited to ISO 13485 standard although customer was aware we're not and have no plans to be ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
H Claiming equivalence with the product that was sold earlier in the market but not now EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Interesting Discussion Was this the fastest ever stage 2 ISO9001:2015 audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 76
M Products Manufactured while CE was valid CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Corrections and Removals - Fiber Content in our textile products was incorrect Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Risk closeout , mitigation was not effective, next? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
P Retired equipment that was never validated Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
Jane's What steps do you take to terminate a product which was licensed for sale in Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 14