SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

When is a Design Review required? - ISO9001:2000 Clause 7.3

Boubacar

Starting to get Involved
Trying to get my head around 7.3 Design and development. What is the criteria for design and therefore a design review? At my company we generally have two types of projects that go through our engineering department. First, customer has an idea and we design something from scratch based on customer's desires/needs etc. I have no doubt that this will require design review. The second type of work is the customer has already designed the product, and our engineering team reviews the customer drawing to determine whether it gives enough information for the shop to build. If it is, the customer's drawing (controlled) goes to the floor. If not, we would create shop drawings from the customer's supplied drawings to convey information the shop needs. Question - is the second type actual design? If not, does it need to go through design reviews etc as indicated in ISO9001:2000 7.3

Thanks

Boubacar

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: When is a design review required?

From what you describe, the second scenario is not design - the customer's already done it! What you are doing is described very well in 7.2 of the ISO 9001 requirements, you are "determining the requirements relating to the product", to ensure you have a good shot at making it correctly!
:2cents:

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator

What you describe sounds like a design review to me! You have a business process that takes an input (customer design), you review it to determine manufacturability, and if so, it goes to the floor. If you document this review, I believe you've met the "review spirit" for your process. I think the key is that you describe (allow) this model in your process documents.

What happens in the case that you have to do a transformation (create shop drawings)? Do you review these with the customer? Do you conduct an internal review? These, too, would meet the review spirit, I believe.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

From what you describe, the second scenario is not design - the customer's already done it! What you are doing is described very well in 7.2 of the ISO 9001 requirements, you are "determining the requirements relating to the product", to ensure you have a good shot at making it correctly!
:2cents:
Yes. It's more a matter of contract review than design review.

What you describe sounds like a design review to me! You have a business process that takes an input (customer design), you review it to determine manufacturability, and if so, it goes to the floor. If you document this review, I believe you've met the "review spirit" for your process. I think the key is that you describe (allow) this model in your process documents.

What happens in the case that you have to do a transformation (create shop drawings)? Do you review these with the customer? Do you conduct an internal review? These, too, would meet the review spirit, I believe.
What you say is correct, IMHO, however two vital points need to be brought out - one, who 'owns' the design (sanctions changes etc.)? Two, is since the customer does, this is more a feasibility review or 'process design' review.

Neither are, however, product design reviews per the intent of ISO 9001:2000 7.3.........

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Trying to get my head around 7.3 Design and development. What is the criteria for design and therefore a design review? At my company we generally have two types of projects that go through our engineering department. First, customer has an idea and we design something from scratch based on customer's desires/needs etc. I have no doubt that this will require design review. The second type of work is the customer has already designed the product, and our engineering team reviews the customer drawing to determine whether it gives enough information for the shop to build. If it is, the customer's drawing (controlled) goes to the floor. If not, we would create shop drawings from the customer's supplied drawings to convey information the shop needs. Question - is the second type actual design? If not, does it need to go through design reviews etc as indicated in ISO9001:2000 7.3

Thanks

Boubacar

Hello Boubacar,

My Fellow Covers provided excellent information regarding 7.3.

Here is some information about Design and Development from an auditing perspective.

Your post was not about audits, but this information may be of help to clarify.

Stijloor.

W

Watchwait

I may be "off-forum" here, but 21 CFR Part 820.30 does not prescribe the actual frequency or timing of design reviews. In my experience, FDA, as a minimum, would expect a design review prior to the design transfer stage. Practically speaking, they will likely opccur at several phases in the design process but no, FDA does not indicate when/where they need to occur. This should be established in the design plan.

Typically, product designs are reviewed and the timing is (most effectively) associated with some other key development milestone(s), like the results of testing, 1st production run off, customer initial feedback, etc.

These are often also linked with project reviews (which can be confused with design reviews) but are more about time/money etc. that a critical review of the design's ability to meet requirements.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Example for design and development planning,input,output,review,verification,validation and transfer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Q PPT used as Design Review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Design Transfer Review - Before or after PQ validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Does a CDR (Critical Design Review) have to have a moderator that is unconnected to the team? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
A What to expect in a Design Dossier Review for CE Marking by a Notified Body CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Annex II List A - Notified Body Fees - Design dossier review and batch release EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G ISO 14001 & Product Design Process Environmental Aspect Review Requirements ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
H How to make the Design Review Process Effective Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
H Form that will satisfy Design Review and Design Verification Requirements (7.3) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Please Review my Design and Development Plan Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
P How to separate Product Design Review, Verification, and Validation Activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
M 7.2.2 Review of Requirements Related to the Product (Design-Manufacturing Service) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M MHRA (Medical & Healthcare Regulatory Agency) Design Dossier Review Delays EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Time and Cost for a Notified Body to review a Design Dossier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Design and Development - Review vs. Verification vs. Validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 15
U Medical Device Design Review Records Requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 16
kedarg6500 Manufacturing Process Design and Development Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Checklist for RA and QA Review of DVT (design verification test) for Software Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
R Who should document the Design Review Meeting and Design History File? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
T Design Review Checklist for an Electrical Engineering Consultancy Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
A QSR (820.30 part e) Design Review and Design Control Responsibilities 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Manufacturing Process Design and Development Review - TS 16949 Clause 7.3.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S Design Review: Can I exclude Custom Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q ISO 9001:2008 - 7.3.7 - Review of Evaluation of Design and Development Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Design Review Checklist Format Example wanted Design and Development of Products and Processes 16
A Design Review OR Design Change - Software development company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Supplier Design Review Worksheet from a customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
M Design Review/Dimensional Analysis feasibility program or spreadsheet? Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Engineering Design Review minutes as Verification & Validation Records Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
J Design Review Participants - Medical Devices - Question Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
S Enhanced Design Review section - ISPE Commisioning and Qualification Guide Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
K Review of Design Dossier Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
R Medical Device Product Requirements Document (PRD) a "Design Review"? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
M Document Review Audit Findings - Design and Process Approach Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
P What results of a design review are documented in a DHF? Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
J DRBFM (Design Review Based on Failure Mode) - Toyota method Design and Development of Products and Processes 46
1 Design Review Process - Need a step by step methodology Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
H Design and Development Review 7.3.4 - Planned intervals for outputs and validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
Y ISO 9001 Design & Development - 7.3.4 Review, 7.3.5 Verify, 7.3.6 Validate Design and Development of Products and Processes 30
B Design - Simple System - ISO 9001 Clause 7.3 - Review vs. Verification vs. Validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 12
Z Reliability and Maintainability Design Review Guidelines Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
Z Appropriate Content for Design Review Documents Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
K Design Review Checklists Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A Design Review Documentation Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
T Design Traceability - Labelling / Instructions for Use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B How to exclude empty rows in full factorial design analysis? Using Minitab Software 0
M Handling design changes with use-as-is inventory disposition Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
M Design Control - Management of Electronic CAD files Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
S Examples of FDA acceptable Software Design Specification (SDS) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
A Design Change/ECO Related Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1