When is a device considered "sold to the general public?"

Chris Ford

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi All,

In reference to "SOR 98/282; 23(3) In respect of a medical device to be sold to the general public, the information required by paragraphs 21(1)(a) and (e) to (j) shall, as a minimum, be in both English and French," I'm looking for an interpretation of the labeling requirements.

Effective eyeglass lenses can't be purchased without a licensed doctor's examination, however a prescription is not required to purchase eyeglasses in Canada.

Does this imply that a manufacturer is selling eyeglasses directly to the general public?

In Canada the MDR requires that the directions for use of devices sold to the general public be written in both French and English. I take this to mean that any over the counter device sold in Canada bear labeling in both languages, but a device is not technically sold to the general public, if the only way for the person to know what to buy is by having an exam done first.

I would appreciate any insight on this interpretation.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

My understanding of HC's intent was to distinguish devices for which the end use was to be controlled by a consumer, from those for which the end use was to be controlled by a medical-professional user. (Note: user, not dispenser or prescriber.) The IFU for the consumer device would have to be provided in either language because a significant number of consumers are monolingual.

So, eyeglasses would be consumer; surgical drapes would be medical-professional user.

That's the gist of the distinction similarly made by US FDA, using different wording, in their regulations that govern the different treatment of IFUs for consumer and medical-professional.

Chris Ford

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks! I should clarify that a prescription isn't necessary only in British Columbia - that doesn't apply to the rest of Canada.

I get where you're coming from, and I understand why these requirements would be placed on the IFU. But then there isn't an IFU for eyeglasses. Manufacturers typically include care and cleaning instructions, along with warranty information. That's really thrown me off here.

Thanks again for your input... it helps put it in perspective for me, even though I think it's a silly rule to apply to eyeglasses!! :bonk:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Are DAM tools, Mobile application, clinical dashboard, etc. considered accessories to medical device or supportive functions? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Is any dissatisfaction over a Medical Device considered as a complaint? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Professional Use Medical Software French Labeling for Canada -- Not Considered Medical Device Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S What is considered the complete software medical device? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 6
M Is a computer used in hospitals considered a medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
S Are Polyethylene-folie gloves considered Medical Device ? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
sagai What is CD writing considered as - for Device-Only SW? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
W Are batteries in a Medical Device, also considered a MD? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
apestate Is a component of a pedical screw system considered a finished medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Is Test Software considered a Monitoring and Measuring Device? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Combination Products - Distributor of the device? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J 21 CFR 821 Medical Device Tracking Requirement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Is Device Tracking Card an actual requirement under FDA regulation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Medical Device Accessories Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C GUDID Device record history Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
K Doubt on insulation class of a device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
dgrainger Informational UK guidance on Device regulation from Jan 2021 published EU Medical Device Regulations 10
dgrainger Informational UK guidance on Device regulation from Jan 2021 published Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M EU MDR - Labilities when a device is discontinued from the Market EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Work performed in Canada on US patients using US device Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
T Clinical evaluation of a new medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Beliz Biocompatibility Testing for Laser Epilation Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Packaging device with accessories already on the market Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
7 Iraq Medical Device Chemical Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A How to make sure whether the predicated device is marked with EC certificate? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
shimonv FDA News FDA guidance on Multiple Function Device Products (8/2020) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B MDR equvalent device - can you use a medicine as an equivalent 'device' EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Legal Manufacturer Medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
F How to register class I device to all European Competent Autorities(CA) when we are European manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4