When is a device considered "sold to the general public?"

C

Chris Ford

Hi All,

In reference to "SOR 98/282; 23(3) In respect of a medical device to be sold to the general public, the information required by paragraphs 21(1)(a) and (e) to (j) shall, as a minimum, be in both English and French," I'm looking for an interpretation of the labeling requirements.

Effective eyeglass lenses can't be purchased without a licensed doctor's examination, however a prescription is not required to purchase eyeglasses in Canada.

Does this imply that a manufacturer is selling eyeglasses directly to the general public?

In Canada the MDR requires that the directions for use of devices sold to the general public be written in both French and English. I take this to mean that any over the counter device sold in Canada bear labeling in both languages, but a device is not technically sold to the general public, if the only way for the person to know what to buy is by having an exam done first.

I would appreciate any insight on this interpretation.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

My understanding of HC's intent was to distinguish devices for which the end use was to be controlled by a consumer, from those for which the end use was to be controlled by a medical-professional user. (Note: user, not dispenser or prescriber.) The IFU for the consumer device would have to be provided in either language because a significant number of consumers are monolingual.

So, eyeglasses would be consumer; surgical drapes would be medical-professional user.

That's the gist of the distinction similarly made by US FDA, using different wording, in their regulations that govern the different treatment of IFUs for consumer and medical-professional.

C

Chris Ford

Thanks! I should clarify that a prescription isn't necessary only in British Columbia - that doesn't apply to the rest of Canada.

I get where you're coming from, and I understand why these requirements would be placed on the IFU. But then there isn't an IFU for eyeglasses. Manufacturers typically include care and cleaning instructions, along with warranty information. That's really thrown me off here.

Thanks again for your input... it helps put it in perspective for me, even though I think it's a silly rule to apply to eyeglasses!! :bonk:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Is Amalgam Separator considered a Medical Device in US and EU? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B A.I. diagnostic software is considered as medical device in FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Are DAM tools, Mobile application, clinical dashboard, etc. considered accessories to medical device or supportive functions? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Is any dissatisfaction over a Medical Device considered as a complaint? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Professional Use Medical Software French Labeling for Canada -- Not Considered Medical Device Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S What is considered the complete software medical device? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 6
M Is a computer used in hospitals considered a medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
S Are Polyethylene-folie gloves considered Medical Device ? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
sagai What is CD writing considered as - for Device-Only SW? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
W Are batteries in a Medical Device, also considered a MD? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
apestate Is a component of a pedical screw system considered a finished medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Is Test Software considered a Monitoring and Measuring Device? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Change in material vendor - Medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I Medical Device Accessory Responsibility Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
A NMPA registered device VS country of origin (free sales certificate) China Medical Device Regulations 0
B FDA regulations medical device prescription fulfillment DME question US Medical Device Regulations 0
E Device compatibility with other company's devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D New Device Post Market Requirement for MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Biocompatibility: Selection of worst-case device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
J Medical Device Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Post-Market Surveillance Requirements for Canada - class IIa/IIb device Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
N Direct Part Marking of the "CE" symbol- Class I Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M An introductory guide to medical device Clinical Evaluation & Clinical Evaluation Reports (CER) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Question regarding classification of custom made device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B How FDA define a new variant/generation or a new device US Medical Device Regulations 11
O Regarding design and development requirements for a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
U Leakage test Standard for Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E Tablet integrated into medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
S New indication for a third party device US Medical Device Regulations 2
F Philippines: Old Certificate of exemption for Class B device and new LTO. How to proceed? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Ed Panek Is this a medical device? US Medical Device Regulations 2
D Are there Controlled Documents in a DMR (Device Master Record)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Medical device testing lab/service standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K Medical Device file and "Component" Manufacturers? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
R CE MARKED DEVICE REGISTER SEPARATELY (LOCALLY) IN EU COUNTRIES? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Class 2b medical device - best pathway to obtain CE mark? (2022, MDR 2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
C Legacy device under Class A sterile devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C Statistics/sampling plan for medical device Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
T IVD Device Software - Risk Classification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 16
J Can you assign two EMDN codes to a single device for EUDAMED? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Non-medical device testing in the medical system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
H Is testing according to IEC 60601-1 & IEC 60601-1-2 mandatory for a device being registered under MDR? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S Training in D&D for engineers with no medical device experience Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
P Classification of Active non-implantable diagnostic device EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Software as Medical Device import activities for Chile and Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Medical Device Indications for Use Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
I Where to find MDR compliance device? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
F Can this device without tolerances be used as a predicate for our 510(k)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J Average number of Nonconformances during internal quality audit for Medical Device Manufacturers Internal Auditing 3