When is a device considered "sold to the general public?"

C

Chris Ford

Hi All,

In reference to "SOR 98/282; 23(3) In respect of a medical device to be sold to the general public, the information required by paragraphs 21(1)(a) and (e) to (j) shall, as a minimum, be in both English and French," I'm looking for an interpretation of the labeling requirements.

Effective eyeglass lenses can't be purchased without a licensed doctor's examination, however a prescription is not required to purchase eyeglasses in Canada.

Does this imply that a manufacturer is selling eyeglasses directly to the general public?

In Canada the MDR requires that the directions for use of devices sold to the general public be written in both French and English. I take this to mean that any over the counter device sold in Canada bear labeling in both languages, but a device is not technically sold to the general public, if the only way for the person to know what to buy is by having an exam done first.

I would appreciate any insight on this interpretation.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

My understanding of HC's intent was to distinguish devices for which the end use was to be controlled by a consumer, from those for which the end use was to be controlled by a medical-professional user. (Note: user, not dispenser or prescriber.) The IFU for the consumer device would have to be provided in either language because a significant number of consumers are monolingual.

So, eyeglasses would be consumer; surgical drapes would be medical-professional user.

That's the gist of the distinction similarly made by US FDA, using different wording, in their regulations that govern the different treatment of IFUs for consumer and medical-professional.

C

Chris Ford

Thanks! I should clarify that a prescription isn't necessary only in British Columbia - that doesn't apply to the rest of Canada.

I get where you're coming from, and I understand why these requirements would be placed on the IFU. But then there isn't an IFU for eyeglasses. Manufacturers typically include care and cleaning instructions, along with warranty information. That's really thrown me off here.

Thanks again for your input... it helps put it in perspective for me, even though I think it's a silly rule to apply to eyeglasses!! :bonk:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B A.I. diagnostic software is considered as medical device in FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Are DAM tools, Mobile application, clinical dashboard, etc. considered accessories to medical device or supportive functions? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Is any dissatisfaction over a Medical Device considered as a complaint? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Professional Use Medical Software French Labeling for Canada -- Not Considered Medical Device Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S What is considered the complete software medical device? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 6
M Is a computer used in hospitals considered a medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
S Are Polyethylene-folie gloves considered Medical Device ? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
sagai What is CD writing considered as - for Device-Only SW? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
W Are batteries in a Medical Device, also considered a MD? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
apestate Is a component of a pedical screw system considered a finished medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Is Test Software considered a Monitoring and Measuring Device? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Automatic torque device checking FMEA and Control Plans 1
K Regulatory Aspect of Embedding 4G/5G communication technologies into medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
V EN ISO 10993-1, Category of surface device by nature of body contact Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M FDA Medical device reporting (Manufacturer in US; contract manufacturer OuS) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
G Medical Device Auditor (CMDA) certification exam by ASQ - looking for input Career and Occupation Discussions 3
C Question on KAFO (Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis device) classification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
G FDA clearance for a device that can't be used clinically (at present) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
B Documenting Medical Device Complaints after End of Life? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device License as Distributor Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
Watchcat New Draft Guidance on Content of Premarket Submissions for Software Device "Functions" Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Preparing a document for Raw Material of Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDSAP required for Device Initial Importer/Distributor into Canada? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
R Medical device regulations in African countries Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Z Swiss Authorized representative & non-medical device regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T FDA UDI Question - Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
blackholequasar ISO 13485 certification prior to Medical Device Manufacturing... worth it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Brexit Germany - Import Medical Device For Clinical Study EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M When is a device a device, and when not..? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 14
A Making changes to IDE device Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
M Medical Device Marketing Material - Control of Social Media 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Ed Panek Make sure you hire competent QA RA Folks before making a "Medical Device." Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
B Acquired Medical Device Product Line - Documentation Requirements for Device Master Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
MedicalDevicesCanada How to find a medical device contract manufacturer, MDSAP certified? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
T Accessories and Parent Device Submission Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
P Device Classification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
dgrainger Informational MHRA's Software and AI as a Medical Device Change Programme UK Medical Device Regulations 0
S Clinical Evaluation of equivalent device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Device with different options for a sub-component - CE marking implications EU Medical Device Regulations 2
CharlieUK EU representative details on Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Medical Device - Technical Documentation structure EU Medical Device Regulations 1
LostLouie Archived Specifications and Drawings for Medical Device Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F USB charging and NIBP device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
B Reprocessing of an accessory for a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Do you follow your QMS for non-device software features? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
J Can we register non-device clinical decision support software under draft guidance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5