When Is It OK to Remove a Defunct Supplier From the AVL/ASL?

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
We're in the process of cleaning up our AVL and have come across a few suppliers who are no longer in business. My question is this: When is it acceptable to remove them from the AVL and how should that be done? Our AVL is not a controlled document, and therefore, does not require a change order (change request).

I would think that a memo to file in their supplier files stating that the supplier is no longer in business (including the date they went out of business, product/material once purchased from them and what it was used in/for, and maybe the last lot/batch number/s received) might be sufficient.

Thoughts?

Thanks......:bigwave:

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
I don't know your business nature, but what is the challenge with leaving their status as active? Is there any benefit to updating it? It sounds as though there is at least a minimal cost (time, effort) to updating it.

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't know your business nature, but what is the challenge with leaving their status as active? Is there any benefit to updating it? It sounds as though there is at least a minimal cost (time, effort) to updating it.
The main concern is that an external auditor may stumble upon them and ask why haven't they been removed and a potential nonconformance would follow.

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have our system set up to review our AVL twice a year. It is at this time that we determine if a supplier needs to be removed (due to not being in business anymore, or due to us not purchasing from them anymore).

We simply have a tab that lists the former suppliers and reason for removal.

I actually leave them on, since it also shows the last time we ordered from them, even if out of business. My reasoning goes back to traceability, as I want to know if researching an issue who may have produced that part or material. If they have gone out of business we must have purchased from another vendor, so those purchase dates become important.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Do different certifications require that kind of traceability? We are certified to ISO 9001 and do not keep paperwork on adding or removing. We have our criteria for keeping or removing a supplier and at the management review meeting we decide. After the meeting I just remove suppliers or add suppliers from the document. I do keep revision letters in the header but I feel like even that is overkill.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Our AVL was our ERP dbase. Once a supplier went in, tampering with that crossed lines into accounting records. We just left them all in and it was the discretion of the QA / Purchasing folks to cease using one if we chose.

" The main concern is that an external auditor may stumble upon them and ask why haven't they been removed and a potential nonconformance would follow. "

You know your business better than I do, but it's only a nonconformance if there's a requirement that you remove them.

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Do different certifications require that kind of traceability? We are certified to ISO 9001 and do not keep paperwork on adding or removing. We have our criteria for keeping or removing a supplier and at the management review meeting we decide. After the meeting I just remove suppliers or add suppliers from the document. I do keep revision letters in the header but I feel like even that is overkill.
ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 dont require a list at all.

Im not sure about any other standards.

I

isoalchemist

I've done it many ways and it all depends on your industry and how much you have to document to keep people happy.

I've changed the marking to unapproved on the AVL with a date and reason. I've also change the tab from approved to unapproved.

I've also written multi-page documents to file to justify the change still using the above methods.

I did have guidance written in with "how to remove a vendor" so it was easy. Again it really depends on your requirements.

We have to keep full traceability for 12 years, so yes, some extra work is required. Since we are predominantly rail, you can see why if you have been following the news. Those Amtrak cars can be 30-40 years old before they are retired, sometimes they are completely rebuilt and used another cycle. Rail 'requires' 9001, then adds M-1003 or IRIS on top because 9001 isnt 'good enough'. Luckily we are far enough down the chain not to be bothered much about all that, but it does surface occasionally.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Inspection Logs - Asked to remove an Inspection Sheet ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
MDD_QNA We have a device with two intended uses and we want to remove one EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Marc Informational Apple Tells App Developers To Disclose Or Remove Screen Recording Code World News 0
T Can we remove a quality objective if we decide it is not measurable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Why do I have to rev change my ASL everytime I add or remove a supplier? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
A Can Vapor Degreasing Process remove Material Debris? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
A How do you remove packaging without damaging the internal part? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
K Medical Device Disassembly Instructions to Remove the Battery EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N How to handle a nonconformity for something we'd like to remove Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
F Should I remove references to AS9120 / ISO 9001 from my Quality Manual and QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Company Scope stating Automotive has been deemed redundant and asked to remove...? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M Hand Tool Selection to Remove Microjoints and Slivers off of Small Parts - Advice Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
C Challenge to remove QA Inspectors from the production lines Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
Z How do you remove company politics from quality? World News 31
R 100% Visual Inspection - Would you Remove or Reduce the Visual Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
A Is it time to remove the constraints under which registrars have been expected to operate? General Auditing Discussions 20
L Change the name Quality System - Remove the word 'Quality' - Any Suggestions? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 29
S Control Plans - Painting Facility - QC manager wants to remove some of the specs FMEA and Control Plans 3
C Record retention for defunct customers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Q Defunct SAC (Semiconductor Assembly Council) Standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 11
D Supplier OTD Slip Due to Shipping Delays or Natural Disaster AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Re-labeler - audit the supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Evelyn7E The fastest way to get supplier to ship good parts to you Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
J Verification of purchased product / supplier questionnaires ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Question on Supplier Quality (SCAR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Z REACH: contradictory statement from supplier? REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
G How to implement H&S and Quality Control Requirements in Contract for Potential Supplier? Contract Review Process 6
R Select the 1 Supplier based on the Parts Durability from 6 Supplier Samples using Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
K Why does load cell supplier requires force verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Question and advice for a supplier self audit questionnaire ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Special IATF audit of sub-supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
S IATF 16949 Supplier selection criteria 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Supplier approved list - Notified body, regulatory body Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
N Making improvements in supplier relationship last? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
K Supplier Qualification for Engineering Consultant? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A System for Supplier Documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
T IMDS submission without supplier's input? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
J Supplier not responding to PPAP request APQP and PPAP 5
D Supplier audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
S Distinction between a critical supplier and a Virtual manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R AS9102 FAI Change in Material / Process Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
John Broomfield Five ways to botch your supplier management program Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
C Supplier survey - 200 to 250 duppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J Where is the definition of a critical supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
U Approved Vendor (supplier) List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
P Training department ideas and development for automotive supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6