When Is It OK to Remove a Defunct Supplier From the AVL/ASL?

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
We're in the process of cleaning up our AVL and have come across a few suppliers who are no longer in business. My question is this: When is it acceptable to remove them from the AVL and how should that be done? Our AVL is not a controlled document, and therefore, does not require a change order (change request).

I would think that a memo to file in their supplier files stating that the supplier is no longer in business (including the date they went out of business, product/material once purchased from them and what it was used in/for, and maybe the last lot/batch number/s received) might be sufficient.

Thoughts?

Thanks......:bigwave:

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
I don't know your business nature, but what is the challenge with leaving their status as active? Is there any benefit to updating it? It sounds as though there is at least a minimal cost (time, effort) to updating it.

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't know your business nature, but what is the challenge with leaving their status as active? Is there any benefit to updating it? It sounds as though there is at least a minimal cost (time, effort) to updating it.
The main concern is that an external auditor may stumble upon them and ask why haven't they been removed and a potential nonconformance would follow.

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have our system set up to review our AVL twice a year. It is at this time that we determine if a supplier needs to be removed (due to not being in business anymore, or due to us not purchasing from them anymore).

We simply have a tab that lists the former suppliers and reason for removal.

hogheavenfarm

I actually leave them on, since it also shows the last time we ordered from them, even if out of business. My reasoning goes back to traceability, as I want to know if researching an issue who may have produced that part or material. If they have gone out of business we must have purchased from another vendor, so those purchase dates become important.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Do different certifications require that kind of traceability? We are certified to ISO 9001 and do not keep paperwork on adding or removing. We have our criteria for keeping or removing a supplier and at the management review meeting we decide. After the meeting I just remove suppliers or add suppliers from the document. I do keep revision letters in the header but I feel like even that is overkill.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Our AVL was our ERP dbase. Once a supplier went in, tampering with that crossed lines into accounting records. We just left them all in and it was the discretion of the QA / Purchasing folks to cease using one if we chose.

" The main concern is that an external auditor may stumble upon them and ask why haven't they been removed and a potential nonconformance would follow. "

You know your business better than I do, but it's only a nonconformance if there's a requirement that you remove them.

NikkiQSM

Do different certifications require that kind of traceability? We are certified to ISO 9001 and do not keep paperwork on adding or removing. We have our criteria for keeping or removing a supplier and at the management review meeting we decide. After the meeting I just remove suppliers or add suppliers from the document. I do keep revision letters in the header but I feel like even that is overkill.
ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 dont require a list at all.

Im not sure about any other standards.

I

isoalchemist

I've done it many ways and it all depends on your industry and how much you have to document to keep people happy.

I've changed the marking to unapproved on the AVL with a date and reason. I've also change the tab from approved to unapproved.

I've also written multi-page documents to file to justify the change still using the above methods.

I did have guidance written in with "how to remove a vendor" so it was easy. Again it really depends on your requirements.

hogheavenfarm

We have to keep full traceability for 12 years, so yes, some extra work is required. Since we are predominantly rail, you can see why if you have been following the news. Those Amtrak cars can be 30-40 years old before they are retired, sometimes they are completely rebuilt and used another cycle. Rail 'requires' 9001, then adds M-1003 or IRIS on top because 9001 isnt 'good enough'. Luckily we are far enough down the chain not to be bothered much about all that, but it does surface occasionally.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Inspection Logs - Asked to remove an Inspection Sheet ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
MDD_QNA We have a device with two intended uses and we want to remove one EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Marc Informational Apple Tells App Developers To Disclose Or Remove Screen Recording Code World News 0
T Can we remove a quality objective if we decide it is not measurable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Why do I have to rev change my ASL everytime I add or remove a supplier? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
A Can Vapor Degreasing Process remove Material Debris? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
A How do you remove packaging without damaging the internal part? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
K Medical Device Disassembly Instructions to Remove the Battery EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N How to handle a nonconformity for something we'd like to remove Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
F Should I remove references to AS9120 / ISO 9001 from my Quality Manual and QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Company Scope stating Automotive has been deemed redundant and asked to remove...? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M Hand Tool Selection to Remove Microjoints and Slivers off of Small Parts - Advice Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
C Challenge to remove QA Inspectors from the production lines Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
Z How do you remove company politics from quality? World News 31
R 100% Visual Inspection - Would you Remove or Reduce the Visual Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
A Is it time to remove the constraints under which registrars have been expected to operate? General Auditing Discussions 20
L Change the name Quality System - Remove the word 'Quality' - Any Suggestions? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 29
S Control Plans - Painting Facility - QC manager wants to remove some of the specs FMEA and Control Plans 3
C Record retention for defunct customers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Q Defunct SAC (Semiconductor Assembly Council) Standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 11
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
G Supplier management when the supplier is your headquarter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10