When is PPAP required? Change in the floor plan layout?

M

MSAFAI

When is PPAP required?

Hi everybody,

Anybody knows what they mean by the following phrase in the PPAP manual?

".. PPAP is required in the case of:
Refurbishment and Rearrangement of tooling and equipment.."

Do they mean any change in the floor plan layout?

Regards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I suggest you do a Search (all forums) here in the forums using the key words 'ppap required' (without the 's). I came up with more than 30 threads on PPAP requirements. I believe in at least 1 this was specifically discussed.

To summarize, you have to look at what you are doing and assess the effect(s) on the process. Contact your customer SQA and present your proposal based upon your asssessment. You may propose doing a partial PPAP - but again, it depends entirely upon what you change.

-> Do they mean any change in the floor plan layout?

Let's take "...Rearrangement of tooling and equipment..."

If you have a 50 ton press, you're going to have to go through a run-off, at the very least, with a complete layout on one or more parts.

On the other hand, if you have a small table where an employee puts a label on parts by hand, if you move that table it probably will not affect the process so you probably will have nothing to submit. And in a case as simple as this, I doubt it would even be necessary to contact the SQA. I would probably just do it.

Refurbishment may or may not trigger a re-PPAP. Again, one has to look at the situation as a whole.

The key is: What effect will this have on the process and product.

A floor plan change implies movement / rearrangement of equipment. So yes - changing where equipment is located could trigger a re-PPAP requirement. Depends upon what is moved.

A

Al Dyer

This clause requires notification to the customer if you change the peocess flow as noted on the process flow initiated during PPAP.

You can move an entire production cell within your facility, but as long as the process flow within that cell is not affected, there is no need for customer notification.

ASD...

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
-> You can move an entire production cell within your
-> facility, but as long as the process flow within that
-> cell is not affected, there is no need for customer
-> notification.

This is true if there is no 'location sensitive' equipment / station(s) within the cell. Whether or not a partial re-PPAP is required is not simply an issue of process sequence. When there is 'location sensitive' equipment / station(s) in the cell a partial re-PPAP is typically required.

That is why I used the press example above as an 'extreme' example. Large presses can stamp differently when location is changed. The characteristics of the foundation it is placed on are important. There are a number of considerations, not the least of which is vibration characteristics, which in part will change when the base on which the press rests is changed. A change in the vibration characteristics of the press can change the way the tools mate (one effect). While the press made acceptable parts in its old location, it is not a definite fact that if you move it it still will.

Bear in mind that typically you are not looking at a complete re-PPAP of the entire process (the sum of all sub-processes), but rather a partial re-PPAP - re-PPAP of the affected sub-process.

Also remember what is really going to happen. If you move a machine or a whole cell (all sub-processes which make up that cell) you're going through the motions anyway. You're going to have to get everything set up and do run-offs. Surely one would not move a cell and simply say "GO!" unless the sub-processes are simple and neither equipment nor process requirements are 'location sensitive'. The question is more of what the SQA will want sent in as evidence.

One more 'extreme' case. You decide to change location of storage of certain finished materials. The materials are metal. When PPAPed, the storage location is inside the 'heart' of the facility. You decide to move the storage to the shipping dock area which is open to the outside air most of the year. Your plant is in Ohio and you make the change in January. In July, which is humid and hot, the customer starts receiving rusted product. This never happened before. The question of 'what changed' is hidden, at least temporarily, as the association with the January change would probably not be the first hypothesis of the problem root cause - "...heck we did that way back in January...".

The Bottom Line: When something is moved, one wants to take a long, hard look at possible / potential effects of that move. Even if it's just a storage area.

A

Al Dyer

I agree Marc, In past lives I have included in process procedures, that when there is a change in a cell, other than what is expected and already considered during APQP, that the APQP be revisited and revised as needed.

If there is then a revision the customer is notified. The only thing I have ever been required to do is issue a new warrant.

Revisiting the APQP and including the customer is a good business practice and builds up a certain level of trust with the customer.

ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Customer wants a Part Material Change - New PPAP required? APQP and PPAP 3
V PPAP documentation - Submission required in English APQP and PPAP 3
M Is PPAP required in this situation? APQP and PPAP 5
V Is there a Heat Treat certification that is required at PPAP? APQP and PPAP 4
B Supplier changed their Manufacturing Process - Is a PPAP resubmission required? APQP and PPAP 17
I Where in the TS 16949 standard is Yearly PPAP Re-Validation Required IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C Yearly resubmission of PPAP - Required by the PPAP manual? APQP and PPAP 7
K When is PPAP required? Do we have to use PPAP? APQP and PPAP 4
R Is Kappa Study Required during PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R Cohen's Kappa Study - is it required during PPAP? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Documentation required when doing a PPAP for a "Product Family" APQP and PPAP 6
Z Are PPAP Submissions required to be in English? PPAP Language APQP and PPAP 6
Stuart Andrews PPAP training slides required - will pay! APQP and PPAP 10
S PPAP Submission Required for Electronics Components i.e., Resistors, Capacitors, etc. APQP and PPAP 3
R Changing Suppliers - Customer (GM) PPAP required? APQP and PPAP 6
E Level 3 PPAP with only a few of the required documents? APQP and PPAP 3
M Engine Oil manufacturers and suppliers - Will PPAP be Required? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C What are the minimum required MSA studies for a TS 16949 PPAP? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T PPAP and Raw Material - Is a PPAP required when switching raw material suppliers? APQP and PPAP 4
D What is a Level 3 PPAP? Blueprint says "Level 3 PPAP is required" APQP and PPAP 10
B Question about "When PPAP is required" - Tier 2 to GM - Fabric Density on Part APQP and PPAP 24
C New PPAP submission required when changing part number? APQP and PPAP 11
R When Is PPAP Required? What Should We send? APQP and PPAP 15
C How long we're required to keep supplier and our PPAP documents? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
P What gage studies are required for PPAP? APQP and PPAP 5
J Are PPAP's required on steel from suppliers? APQP and PPAP 4
C PPAP required by Customer not the same as the AIAG's PPAP Manual Requirements APQP and PPAP 2
A PPAP Submission NOT required by customer... but... Do I have to do it anyway? APQP and PPAP 8
W PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) - Clarify When submission is required APQP and PPAP 10
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 4
E Annual PPAP+ deviation request ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K OEM specific requirements - PPAP was rejected by STA Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
T PPAP for distributors? APQP and PPAP 1
A PPAP for Fire extinguisher APQP and PPAP 2
S PPAP Progress - Visual Status Board APQP and PPAP 0
C AS9145 Appendix D PPAP Approval Form APQP and PPAP 2
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
F How to submit PPAP without IMDS APQP and PPAP 10
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
M Where can I find examples of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 6
R Process Specification - What is the name of this PPAP form? APQP and PPAP 15
I PPAP Assembly and Components Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
F PPAP Documentation Control APQP and PPAP 8
K PPAP Phases Vs PPAP Levels APQP and PPAP 2
R Plan to Volvo Cars for capacity verification in Phase 3 of PPAP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
M Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts APQP and PPAP 4