When PPAPs are not a contractual requirement

We have a commercial customer who has started asking us for PPAPs via email requests. I'm hesitant to just start providing PPAPs because we are not required to do so in the customer's contract / PO. This applies to new products, and for revisions to existing products. My plant manager is getting annoyed with me because I keep asking why the customer suddenly need PPAPs. My company's previous owners refused to provide PPAPs, but the customer kept buying product from them regardless. I feel like the customer's current requests are unreasonable, considering they've been doing business fine without PPAPs. All that said, I'm probably fighting a loosing battle here, and I know that I probably need to just shut up and start producing PPAPs. On the other hand, shouldn't we at least be charging the custoner for these reports? What would be a good rate to charge?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
When a customer presents new requirements, they should be told that pricing will be revisited. Sometimes this is enough to get them to back off. You should make certain, if you haven't already, that there's nothing in the contract that references some other document(s) where the "new" requirement may be found. As far as pricing is concerned, it should be a matter of determining what the new requirement adds to costs.

Thanks Jim. Good point, I still need to dig through the contract and make sure the new requirement isn't buried in there somewhere, but I doubt it. I don't get the impression that this customer really knows what they're doing. I come from aerospace, where these things are usually all fleshed out. I'm not even sure if this customer knows *why* they're requesting PPAPs.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
At a past job, I saw plenty of cases where the PPAP was asked for after the contract is accepted and production had begun. Not only is there the cost that is not in the contract, but sometimes the required data for the PPAP requires changes to how the product is inspected, such as a larger sample size, collecting numerical data rather than go-no go, and so on. If the job is not set up correctly for the PPAP, non-standard data won't be collected by production.

In a few cases, the person asking for the PPAP wanted a larger sample size than possible with the quantity ordered! [This happened more than once; clearly people at some customers were not talking to each other.]

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Out of curiosity, how do you verify to yourself that you are meeting the customer's requirements? I would hope that you have measured, tested, etc. the product to confirm that it meets requirements. Do you plan out your quality system, so you know what ongoing controls are required to assure the product continues to meet requirements? In all reality, you probably already have 80% of the documents required in a PPAP.

As a customer, this always irritated me when a supplier refused to supply a PPAP. I found the most vocal in refusing also tended to have the most out-of-spec characteristics.

Out of curiosity, how do you verify to yourself that you are meeting the customer's requirements? I would hope that you have measured, tested, etc. the product to confirm that it meets requirements. Do you plan out your quality system, so you know what ongoing controls are required to assure the product continues to meet requirements? In all reality, you probably already have 80% of the documents required in a PPAP.

As a customer, this always irritated me when a supplier refused to supply a PPAP. I found the most vocal in refusing also tended to have the most out-of-spec characteristics.
We do standard visual & dimensional inspection, and testing when required. We are not yet ISO9000 certified, but plan to be by next year. If we were already ISO certified, you are correct, we would have many of the requirements in place already to make PPAPs much easier for us. I am currently vocal about it because we're a small company of 40 people. I am the only engineer in house, covering much of what a manufacturing engineer AND and quality engineer would need to do, as well as plant manager duties. I'm currently putting out fires after the previous owners left the place in disrepair. For example, one of our computers died, and it was connected to 3 different production label printers. I've spent the last week figuring out how to recover the lost files and get us up and running again. Without labels, we can't ship any product. PPAPs seem extremely unnecessary at the moment.

As a customer, how did you flow down the requirement for PPAPs to your supplier? Was it a contractual requirement?

Last edited:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
As a customer, how did you flow down the requirement for PPAPs to your supplier? Was it a contractual requirement?
Not at first. Most of our suppliers were willing to provide them, but we did get a few that pushed back and wanted to charge for them. Our response was that if they wanted to get paid for their tooling, they better prove to us that the product that came from the tooling met our requirements. We did eventually start adding it to the contracts, but those same suppliers apparently didn't read the contracts, and still pushed back. As I said, the ones that fought the most were the least compliant with meeting requirements.

Not at first. Most of our suppliers were willing to provide them, but we did get a few that pushed back and wanted to charge for them. Our response was that if they wanted to get paid for their tooling, they better prove to us that the product that came from the tooling met our requirements. We did eventually start adding it to the contracts, but those same suppliers apparently didn't read the contracts, and still pushed back. As I said, the ones that fought the most were the least compliant with meeting requirements.
Haha, that's a fair point. We don't charge for tooling though. In my experience, the tough aproach works both ways. I've lost good suppliers becasue my boss insisted on coming down hard on them. They stopped quoting our jobs, because they had other customers banging on their door, and they knew they were good on cost, delivery, and quality.
We are in a simlilar situation, and I'm questuoning whether we want to keep this customer. I'm not really concerned about charging them for PPAP, I just need to know they need one *before* we start quoting the job. I also need to know which level PPAP they're going to impose, so I know how many hoops we have to jump through. Bear in mind that I regularly need to kick their prints back to them as unmanufacturable, full of mistakes, etc. That's the kind of customer I'm dealing with. Lowest margins out of any of our customers, and they apparently insist on price reductions every year lol. Who needs customers like this?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I understand. I will add that forcing the issue on PPAPs (as well as making the suppliers share our pain) make a 99% reduction in supplier PPMs.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Ah, but it's not nearly that easy. Nearly every job shop customer has requirements for new-part approval. Sometimes it's as simple as a dimensional report, samples and material test reports. One of the things we don't know here is what the supplier means by "PPAP." PPAP is the end point of the APQP process, and if that whole AIAG process is expected of a supplier, it's not as simple as filling in the blanks. I don't need for my customers to tell me what I should be doing, especially if what I have been doing has been sufficient in the past. If the customer wants to impose new requirements, there will almost inevitably be new costs involved, and to say that it shouldn't be more costly because the supplier should be doing all of those things anyway doesn't cut it.

There are many suppliers who have refused automotive work because of the onerous requirements, heartache and pain that goes with dealing with automotive customers. If this is something new to this particular customer, there will be all kinds of problems over the specific requirements, I guarantee. If a customer has a number of suppliers who have trouble meeting the specifications, that's a different problem that PPAP won't cure. That customer should know what their suppliers are doing with regard to advance planning and such, and dropping a new requirement but not expecting to pay for it won't help anything.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Level 3 PPAPs APQP and PPAP 4
Crimpshrine13 PPAPs (How far down the tiers are we supposed to get PPAPs)? APQP and PPAP 19
J Distribution and PPAPs for products they do not manufacture APQP and PPAP 3
M What are Yellow and Green PPAPs for Daimler? APQP and PPAP 4
T Requirement for PPAPs from all Suppliers APQP and PPAP 6
G TS 16949 External Lab for Raw Material Certs for PPAPs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
E Being asked to do PPAPs - I'm new to the APQP Process APQP and PPAP 12
V FORD Phased PPAPs Information APQP and PPAP 3
J Annual PPAPs - Keeping Up with Hundreds Of Customers And Hundreds Of Part Numbers APQP and PPAP 12
O Dimensional Results Requirements for PPAPs APQP and PPAP 6
Q Supplier PPAPs - Self Certified - First tier supplier to Ford APQP and PPAP 1
C How Many PPAPs? We currently submit 160+ PPAPs per year APQP and PPAP 6
Gabble Supplier delivery of same material to different manufacturing locations - PPAPs Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T PPAPs for job shops that produce short run assemblies (i.e 100 to 10,000 units) APQP and PPAP 9
A What regulations must a distributor follow when submitting PPAPs? APQP and PPAP 1
A Interim PPAPs - Is this normal for GM, triplication of paperwork? APQP and PPAP 2
G 1st Articles / Initial Sample Submissions - Requirements for submitting PPAPs Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
T Electronic APQP and PPAPs - Seeking Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Customer Specific Contractual Requirements Service Industry Specific Topics 7
A No Formal Documented Performance Evaluation for Contractual Personnel ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
S Biocompatibility requirement for electrode adapters Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
briteme4 AS9102 FAIR Requirement AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Put on escalation by customer? is there a requirement to notify registrar? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
E Translation requirement labels EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Ed Panek Does this FDA Requirement Apply to international (not USA) distributors for USA based manufacturing companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Requirement for Revision of Standard in all Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K ROHs compliance requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
E Language requirement DoC EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Requirement for Signature on Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L Water requirement for Non-sterile topical OTCs Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
C Requirement to link Quality Manual to ISO 9001 clause numbers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
B FDA requirement for CAPA Signoff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Pfmea function requirement and failure mode FMEA and Control Plans 6
Y 510k requirement for bringing in gloves Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S PSUR - MDR First Submission Requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
I Overwhelmed with attribute MSA requirement for visual inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Brizilla Employee Data Privacy Policy - ISO 9001:2015 requirement(s)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Clinical Trial Requirement - No equivalent devices in the market CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J Requirement for Retention of Records of Withdrawn Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T ISO 17025: Lockout/Tagout Requirement ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A The requirement of the PMS plan--suitable indicators and threshold values EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Battery powered device - electrical protection requirement IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 18
K Regulatory requirement of SaMD with machine learning component IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
A ASL requirement when the supplier is certified for ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Regulatory or registration requirement for disinfectant in ASEAN Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5