SBS - The best value in QMS software

When someone refuses to follow a process....

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
I feel for your situation i don't see the point in having a quality position if everybody then out ranks them and wont do what's needed, do you have access to higher management than them to raise the issue with. I suppose im lucky that the only people who out rank me are the directors in the company and the overall works manager. However, when it comes to quality issues he doesn't so my voice is heard and actioned on 99% of the time without much fuss. I have to avoid unnecessary conflict used internal audits to my advantage in instigating change its a subtler way of showing a process is in need of change, sometimes people dont like to be told they are wrong and may look at it as you are trying to tell them they are bad at their job when they are not altogether wrong just the process need tightening.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

greatwhitebuffalo

Starting to get Involved
Was this person consulted when the process was put into place? Is it possible that the activities requested are in fact, non-value added? It may be beneficial to review the system, and with the process owners' input, make some adjustments.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
Agreed. That's why I underlined "without you present". No shield there, but at least its a tiny bit harder to point at you.

Auditor (internal preferably) found it, wrote it up, and it went to Mgmt review...you're not even involved.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Personally. I'm not a fan of the "let the internal audits point it out" approach, especially right out of the gate. It's passive aggressive and does little to support the desire to shift the mindset of organizations when it comes to internal audits (i.e., we want folks to see how they add value and NOT consider them to be glorified witch hunts).

Schedule a meeting - not an 8D one - to discuss what needs to be done and to come up with a plan, with your support, to help the individual do what needs to be done.

If they show up, awesome! If they show up and don't wish to do what needs to be done, ask why. Maybe the documentation is wrong or the person doesn't feel they're the right person or whatever...discuss and come up with a possible resolution.

If they don't show up, send a rescheduled meeting with a polite update "Hi, xxx. Sorry you were unable to attend our meeting. I hope everything is okay. Rescheduling and looping in <insert their boss's name>; hoping may s/he has some ideas on how we can address some of the gaps." It's a passive aggressive way of "tattling," but still professionally worded.

And, if nothing come from that, then it's internal audit time.

Bill Levinson

Industrial Statistician and Trainer
You have a 'people nonconformance'. But, of course, it is frowned up for the root cause to be a person. Instead, we dig a bit deeper and ask "What is it about the system that allows this person to continue to behave this way?"
Even better, what is it about the system that induces the person to continue to behave this way? Ask him/her. Maybe he will tell you that it is not possible to follow a step in a timely manner, and the job has to get done. Then you can apply CAPA to the step in question because, if it cannot be carried out consistently, there is a problem with it.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Trusted Information Resource
Email is ok but I would personally visit this person after an email. Ask them to talk about their job or try to be understanding (Sugar tactic). Schedule the meeting close to their work area so you physically see them and even stop by to chat for a few secs before the meeting. It's harder to bail on meeting in person.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Now, I am not very high in the company, and my role is basically to keep the BMS updated just enough that we pass our audits. At least that is what it feels like.

:)
Well, know that you are not alone. Many companies operate this way -- do just enough to pass the audits, even if that means knowingly letting nonconforming processes continue that way unless/until an external auditor or customer catches them. If their customers didn't demand certification, they would not be ISO 9001 certified. They will talk-up quality when the customer is within earshot, but when the customer is gone, to paraphrase Emerson, what they DO speaks so loudly you cannot hear what they SAY.

Without knowing more about your specific situation and the culture there it is hard to give advice. Sometimes it's worth the battle, sometimes it's not. Do the best you can and, if needed, search for greener pastures. But be aware, sometimes the grass isn't greener in the next place.

Brakeman

Starting to get Involved
Having experienced this personally, I greatly improved the situation by a direct meeting in their office, stating that I was the ISO 9001 compliance auditor and I had to solve some problems that needed his management decisions and delegation authority. I had pre-prepared his department's turtle diagram showing his departments inputs and outputs and what all department managers are responsible for. What he was willing to do I assigned to him within the QMS and what he wished to delegate I added them to the authority in the policies. I had some success but he got better every time we interacted.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Can someone share a scrubbed version of Clinical Evaluation Plan (CEP) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
I Root Cause Analysis when someone simply stops performing a task? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Misbranding (by someone we've contracted with) in a Publication 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
Q QI Macro Histogram - Can someone define *sorted data*? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
J Can someone help me get the UCL AND LCL for this problem? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Can someone provide an example of a Product Safety Policy? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L To share or not to share? Work distribution when someone goes on vacation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
B What is the implication for someone who does not meet the 70% pass mark for QMS-Lead. Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
B Any future for someone working as Lead Quality right these days? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Can someone share example of FAI Inspection Plan ? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
L Does someone has experience with a Supplier "Quality Watch" Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
R Full Time Internal Auditor - Where should I be looking for someone? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
P Can someone share their experience with KFDA Inspection ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 30
M Medical Device Regulation in Mongolia - Can someone help? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
R Someone can help me with the Volkswagen LiOn and BeON-QPN System? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S Do Work Instructions need to be approved by someone other than the author? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
E Can someone help me with ISO 11539:1999 for contact lens classification? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Jim Wynne Someone better "diffuse" me before I asplode Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
B Does someone use APQP for non automotive industrie? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D En 62366:2006 - Can someone explain what EN 62366:2006 covers? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
G I hope someone can give me a hand.. Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
1 Career Advice - What someone with my qualifications can shoot for Career and Occupation Discussions 7
S Seek advice from someone that passed through NADCAP AC7102 and AC7101/3 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
M Total Variation Formula - Can someone provide a source for this formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Q COQ (Cost of Quality) - Would someone review this doc and offer feedback? Benchmarking 10
K Internal Audit Guidelines for someone new Internal Auditing 12
Q Can someone share an Excel spreadsheet to measure Cpk or Cp values. Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 15
P Device marketed by someone else & different name...is a 510(k) required? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 18
J Can I get someone to help critique this manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
S Could someone tell me what are the results of a Gage R&R & how to interpret it? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
F Can someone to help to compare APQP and DMAIC? Six Sigma 10
C SPC presentation - How to convince someone to use SPC - Grind diameters Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D Can Someone help me to understand....... Imported Legacy Blogs 3
Q REACH - Is it not the same as RoHS /IMDS? Can someone explain? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
J Sine Plate Charts - Someone lost the angle chart - Where can I get one? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Can someone take a look at my QM (Quality Manual)? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
C Can someone clarify "Resolution", "Discrimination" and "ndc"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Internal Auditor - What is required to have someone qualified as an internal auditor? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 35
M Inspector Qualifications - Qualifying someone to be an inspector Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
ScottK Can someone clarify the Trans Fat thing? i.e. What = Bad Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
GStough Looking for someone with experience in MDD, PPE, CMDR/CMDCAS regs General Auditing Discussions 1
H What I am trying to find is someone that remembers Memphis in the nineties Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
ScottK Can someone explain the marketing behind this ad? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
M Escalation methods - Having to go over someone's head to address an issue Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
E Synchronicity - Has someone lived an Event of Synchronicity? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S DMR Index - Can someone share their Device Master Record Index structure or format? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M Internal Auditing Independence Rule - Can someone provide a good interpretation Internal Auditing 20
samer How can someone create his own acceptance criteria ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Y Want to meet someone from big 3 in the supplier develop field to learn from Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6