SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

When the MSA results show no operator influence

Nihls

Registered
Actually I know the answer. But I wanted to confirm the veracity of my opinion.
We have planned an MSA for a measuring device. After successfully completing MSA Study 1, we were in doubt about the next step. We weren't sure whether there was operator influence with this measuring system or not. In order to exclude operator influence, we decided to carry out MSA Study 2. After the MSA Study 2 we saw that the measurement results have no operator influence.
Should we do an extra MSA Study 3 in such a case?
In my opinion no.
Because MSA Study 2 provides more information than MSA Study 3.
So MSA Study 2 can be accepted.
I'm right?
thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Is this actually something you're doing, or some kind of exam question? If the former is true, you need to provide more information. Are you referring to Type 1, 2 and 3 studies? If you were concerned about operator influence. why didn't you do a Type 2 study to begin with? What were the parameters of the Type 2 study (number of parts, operators, etc.)? A Type 3 study is typically done on automated systems with no operator influence. Why would you consider a Type 3 study if there are operators involved?

Nihls

Registered
Hi Mr. Wynne,
This is actually something what i am doing. It's about an MSA at the CMM. We bought a new CMM. At the beginning we carried out the MSA Study 1 with a reference (CMM Check). We have left MSA Study 1 behind. The results were very good.
And for further MSA steps we have defined two different component groups (two separate MSA's). Although the device is a CMM, we were not sure whether Study 2 or Study 3 should be carried out. Because the clamping and construction of the components were very sensitive. That's why I first decided on MSA Study 2 (2x operator, 4x repetitions, 4x components). Since the MSA Study 2 has no operator influence, we decided to continue with the second component groups with MSA Study 3.
My question was this;
Should I repeat an MSA Study 3 for the first components?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
In my experience with CMM's (Primarily Vertex), we studiously worked/programmed steps to remove operator influence...even to the extent that, if an operator engaged to say where on the stage the part was...the system went back and measured/confirmed that for itself...essentially automated, but with some guidance of where to start...

I'm not at all surprised to see a zero or near zero operator influence if your CMM program is designed (or the part is in a fixed holding jig) to remove operator influence.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G Interpreting Type 1 MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
B MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Results and Actions Taken Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M MSA 4 - Results of GR&R Study using Range & Average Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
I Interpretation of MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Linearity and Bias Study Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Understanding & interpretation of MSA results as per 4th edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B MSA for Application Test Results - Supplying liquid raw materials to foam producers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
N MSA Calculation - My results do not match those of my customer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T MSA 3rd Edition Bias Analysis - p. 86, the new numerical analysis of results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Stuart Andrews MSA results on % Tolerance charts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Nihls MSA after the device move Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M MSA angle issue - Nylon parts using Aberlink 3D Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Ashland78 MSA clause or wording needed. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S MSA clause 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies on counting weight scale Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Nihls MSA Study Type 2 (special conditions ) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S MSA for attribute relation gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Nihls MSA Study Type 1 (CMM) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M MSA Study Type 1 not capable. We are at the limit. And manufacturing wants to continue producing. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
I Overwhelmed with attribute MSA requirement for visual inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
H Need MSA 4th ed. compliant attribute MSA template General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
P MSA for titration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
P MSA - what exactly mean "system" and master sample Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P MSA study for visual system with artifical inteligence Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D MSA strategy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K Updated MSA with the Annual PPAP validations APQP and PPAP 8
E MSA for Push and Pull test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
6 MSA for Calculated Clearance Dimension Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G MSA check list to audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Bev D MSA Tools Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
M Difference between MSA and MSE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R Preliminary MSA and Sockets' correlation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Bev D MSA Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 46
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N MSA Study for a Leak Testing Device Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
Prashant G MSA Study - AS 9100 and and our customer want us to do MSA study for their parts dimension Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
D Compression Spring Force MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
E MSA Study on MTS dynamic rate measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S IATF 16949 Audit MSA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C Do Calibration Reference Standards require an MSA study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2