When to Initiate a CAR (Corrective Action Request)

jacoblh

Starting to get Involved
Hello, I am curious when CAR's are necessary - is it at every fault/error?

For example, if my accounting process/procedure is that we send invoices to customers and a customer says "where is my invoice?" is that enough to initiate a CAR? This is assuming we missed sending one. What if their junk inbox happened to block us?

To be clear, this isn't something that happens often as not sending invoices would be detrimental but I have noticed it on occasion. I always assume we get sent to junk mail.

Thanks! Jacob

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I am curious when CAR's are necessary - is it at every fault/error? <snip>
No. Just NO.

Are you specifically interested in the scenario you presented, or are you asking "in general"?

If "in general", there are quite a few existing discussions here both recent and over many years.

Including some interesting conversations, such as: How to deal with too many CARs (Corrective Action Requests), PARs (Preventive Action)

And check this: Corrective Action Requests - Tagged Discussions for some thoughts.

Always think about the specific scenario before you issue a Request for Corrective Action. If you don't, it will reduce the importance of corrective actions in your company (in part by alienating employees) and you could end up with hundreds of "non-essential" corrective actions which are not actually fully addressed.

In the scenario you mention, the first thing to do is find out why it happened, and if it happens often (recurrence). You can do this through during the audit by asking questions and looking at records. Discuss with the auditee. Get the facts during the audit.

As to emails, everyone should know that emails are not reliable at times. I guess you could put this in the "software validation" bucket. Have emails been sent and confirmed as received a few times? NOTE: From time to times email filters will put an email from a "valid" sender which is typically accepted into a spam folder. The only way to prevent this is to "white list" that sender, and even that isn't always a "guaranteed" solution. The best thing is to be on an email system which supports "Return Receipt" to indicate an email has not only been received, but also whether it has been read.

Personally I wouldn't consider your scenario as significant as long as your company is "understanding" with respect to a supplier not paying on time in such a case (their not receiving an emailed invoice). Yes, it is how much business is done today (invoice by email) and I'm not saying it's not appropriate. I'm only saying that the failure modes and effects of email must be understood.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Do not under any circumstances issue a CAR for every "error" or issue. You'll be that hated quality person.

When to do it:

1) Repeats over a short period of time. So if you're failing to send an invoice every week, then something's wrong.

2) Major problems -- things that cause significant disruption and lots of money.

For CAR's less is actually more. Good luck.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
The 2015 standard provides some clarity here.

10.2 is titled nonconformity and corrective action hearlding that both topics are covered here.

10.2.1 treats handling nonconformities

10.21a specifically treats initial handling with "take action to correct . . . " and "deal with the consequences"

10.2.1b tells you to "evaluate the need for action to eliminate the causes(s) of the nonconformity . . . "

The "evaluate the need" makes it optional at your discretion.

As with the other posters I feel it was always this way, but it is certainly clearer now.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove!

There is an expectation that the corrective action process also be risk based.

For that reason, and because writing a CAR for everything really can wear people out - and we don't want that! - I agree that not everything needs a sledge hammer approach when a fly swatter will do.

That said, we do want to avoid the "death by a thousand cuts" problem that can drain us of time resources. So it seems worthwhile to elevate repeat issues that do need action, in order to prevent recurrence.

An Environmental Engineer I used to work with developed a method to manage such things, and allowed me to share the concept. I put an NC Tracking Log in the Looking For Excel Template for Tracking & Trending Rejections thread.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Criteria Matrix To Initiate An A3 or 8D ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
qualprod Should I initiate CAPA for a nonconformance not recorded? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
U Who is responsible to initiate a Supplier Corrective Action? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
V Can Regulatory Head Initiate/Trigger the Change Control for Quality Procedures US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
S Do I need to initiate a Customer Complaint for Engineering Samples? Customer Complaints 4
I Discontinue CE Mark and how to re-initiate it later CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
P Supplier Responsibilities to Initiate a PPAP Submission APQP and PPAP 15
tony wardle Change Starts at the Top - Who can Initiate or Develop a Paradigm Change Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 45
Q CAPA - What criteria should be used to initiate Corrective and Preventive Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Starting a quality Department - What are the things I need to initiate it? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
H What do you do when a part goes Obsolete and How do you Initiate such a Process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Q Who is authorized to Initiate Corrective Actions? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
M Who can Identify and Initiate a Request for a Non-Conformance Report? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
L Kanban cards - Trying to initiate a true Pull System - Fastener Products Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
tony s Does RFQ from mother plant enough to initiate TS 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Quality Improvement - What are the best tools to initiate breakthrough change? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
Marc Mule Car aka Body Mule Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Marc Electric Car circa 1898 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
T Closing out CAR while waiting for design change Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
C Supplier blowing off CAR request Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
K Internal Audit CAR - How Long for Responses to be Received? Internal Auditing 8
5 Expediting Internal Corrective Action Requests (CAR) Closures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Audit Finding - CAPA, Improvement Initiatives not filed in CAR System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
L Packaging Issues Resulted CAR by customer Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
M I need Audit Checklists for nearly all Car suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
R ISO 13485 Validation and CAR Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Having a hard time closing CAR/ PAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
L Is a CAR addressed to your customer the best way to communicate with? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Marc NHTSA - Crash imminent braking and dynamic brake support to its New Car Assessment World News 1
Marc Car Navigation Systems - Dedicated or Smartphone? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
L Customer requies 'Jet Test' on a Car Part (Electronics Connectors) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Ajit Basrur China breaks world record for car sales in 2013 ! World News 1
Mikishots How to handle CAR (Corrective Action Request) Scope vs. Timely Response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
W What Are Some Online Car Auction Websites? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
R MSA is similar to driving a car? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Car Talk Traffic Tickets Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
M So you want an internet ready car? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
L Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
B Combining a CAR, an NCR, and an Accident Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Should CAR be issued when the KPI is not achieved ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Supplier CAR response scoring Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
P Differences between an NCR and CAR Internal Auditing 9