When to Sign up as a Foreign Exporter

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the "Foreign Exporter" rule. I've read the FDA website regarding who must register and such but am still a bit confused. I'm trying to send them to an Amazon warehouse am caught up. I'm importing my products from China and there are 2 situations:

Situation 1: Chinese Manufacturer (Has active FDA registry), sells and ships to Company B in Canada. Company B gets a customs broker and sends the products into the USA to the Amazon Warehouse.

Question: Does Company B have to register as a Foreign exporter even if the manufacturer has an active FDA registration number and certificate?

Situation 2: Chinese Manufacturer (Has active FDA registry) develops and brands the goods for Company B. But instead of shipping to Company B in Canada, the Chinese Manufacturer ships straight to the Amazon warehouse.

Question: Does Company B have to register as a Foreign exporter?

Thank you in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the "Foreign Exporter" rule. I've read the FDA website regarding who must register and such but am still a bit confused. I'm trying to send them to an Amazon warehouse am caught up. I'm importing my products from China and there are 2 situations:

Situation 1: Chinese Manufacturer (Has active FDA registry), sells and ships to Company B in Canada. Company B gets a customs broker and sends the products into the USA to the Amazon Warehouse.

Question: Does Company B have to register as a Foreign exporter even if the manufacturer has an active FDA registration number and certificate?

Situation 2: Chinese Manufacturer (Has active FDA registry) develops and brands the goods for Company B. But instead of shipping to Company B in Canada, the Chinese Manufacturer ships straight to the Amazon warehouse.

Question: Does Company B have to register as a Foreign exporter?

Thank you in advance!
In situation 1, I company B is the foreign exporter that registers and lists.
In suituation 2, define "Brands the goods for Company B"?

Is company B's name going on the label in addition to the Chinese mfr?
The Chinese manufacturer's name/brand won't be on the packaging. They'll be designing the packaging with our company name and design. They'll also be packaging & shipping the items from China to a USA FBA warehouse

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
They’ll be the ones selling the items in the us
They might be considered a Foreign Exporter.
Foreign Exporter - Exports or offers for export to the United States (U.S.), a device manufactured, prepared, propagated, compounded, or processed in a foreign country, including devices originally manufactured in the United States. A foreign exporter must have an establishment address outside the U.S.
Foreign exporters need to register, list devices and pay fees.

gogreen

Starting to get Involved
Another issue you will have is on the initial importer front. You will not be able to clear FDA review at customs without an FDA-registered initial importer. Amazon will not serve in the role, to my knowledge.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Study sign off question / responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Experience with Adobe Sign Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O Inventory control ideas - I have an open stock room with a "sign out" book Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
E Why is the (theoretical) pH slope sometimes cited without the negative sign? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S How to make Single Sign On (SSO) Comply e-sig requirements? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Is Adobe Sign - E-signature for QMS documents - 21 cfr part 11 compliant? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
W Job Card/Router sign off - Want to go paperless AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Stamps vs Signatures - Stamps as inspection/approval sign-off vs. Initials Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
T Document Review And Sign Off Second Person Review - FDA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Opportunity For Improvement - Customer to sign off or approve a new design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Chrysler PSW Sign Off when your product is rated low risk in CQMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
drgnrider Is there a specific OHSAS 18001 sign format? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
J A Euro sign on a print tolerance? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
V Documents and Records - To sign or not to sign Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Q Effective 1st Piece Inspection Sign Off Procedure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
C Who in the supplier organization has to sign the PSW (Part Submission Warranty)? APQP and PPAP 6
C EN 60601-1:2012 - Requirement to use an Electrical Safety Sign on Products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Control and Traceability of Sign-ups for Sales of a Product Career and Occupation Discussions 9
S How do you sign your letters? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
N Europe import Regulations? Customers are requesting us to sign OEM/ODM Agreements EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R Who must sign 510(k) Submission? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Q Faking Data - Refusing to sign Falsified PPAP Submission package Nonconformance and Corrective Action 27
Sidney Vianna Boeing and Embraer sign Cooperation Agreement Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
S Who has to sign off on supplier PPAP? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Stijloor Hikers and Bikers - Sign in Florida Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
E Size of Sign - 95% of Confidence Using Minitab Software 13
J Can you use pencil to sign documents, fill out forms, etc? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 52
N Can we use a black pen to sign documents, fill out forms, etc? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
V Who should sign the Certificate of Attendance for In-House Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
O Corrective Action Sign-Off - Requirements and Responsibilities Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Jim Wynne Baseball Opening Day--A Sure Sign Of Spring Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
M What to do when Auditee refuses to sign Audit Report General Auditing Discussions 91
apestate FAA Regulations: Is it ever OK to sign off on nonconforming type certified parts? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 8
V At what Stage of Equipment Qualification (IQ-OQ-PQ), must we sign-off the SOP? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
N Must you Sign on every Page of A Calibration Report General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Product Quality Planning Summary and Sign Off Sheet APQP and PPAP 3
K Job Descriptions - Should employees sign their job descriptions? Why or why not? Career and Occupation Discussions 31
SteelMaiden Road sign in Florida Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M Moving from physical signatures to a paperless QMS - Process and approval sign offs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
I Could We use electronic signatures rather than manual sign offs? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Supplier Quality Statement - Clause that our non-certified suppliers could sign Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
F Who should Sign Supplier PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) documents? APQP and PPAP 13
J Ideas for Quality Policy Sign - What and Where? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Scott Catron Warning Sign Generator - An essential part of your safety program... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
A Training Requirement - Required sign-off after being retrained ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
9 Drawing (Print) Sign-off questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
errhine Paperless office software - Electronicly sign process documentation with FAA approval Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
B "SIGN" of the times Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
S Document Approval Matrix - What manager needs to sign what documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
T Elsmar Lions - Mozambique Lion Warning Sign Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 11