When to switch from a Partial AS9102 back to a Full AS9102

S

SiMoore

I am hoping someone could give me some advice or point me in the correct direction here.

I have been writing Aerospace reports now for some time and I have unfortunately run into a situation I haven’t seen for a long time now due to by client base and just want to clarify things.

The question I have been asked is – When do we switch from a Partial AS9102 back to a Full AS9102?

Background.

We completed a Full AS9102 on release of the product and over the past two years we have written numerous Partials due to the number of changes made by the Customer..
The Customer has finally updated the drawings and my Commercial department wants to know should we charge for a New Full AS9102 or just another Partial.

I believe it should be a New Full AS9102 as the Baseline Revision and Item List has changed.

Please can someone confirm if I am understanding the standard correctly.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Base on your statement - not sure if form, fit and function were changed.

Here are the requirements for a Full FAIR:

f. The organization shall perform a full FAI or a partial FAI for affected characteristics, when any of the following occurs:

1. A change in the design characteristics affecting fit, form, or function of the part.

2. A change in manufacturing source(s), process(es), inspection method(s), location of manufacture, tooling, or materials that can potentially affect fit, form, or function.

3. A change in numerical control program or translation to another media that can potentially affect fit, form, or function.

4. A natural or man-made event, which may adversely affect the manufacturing process.

5. An implementation of corrective action required to complete a previous FAI, as described in 4.4.

6. A lapse in production for two years shall require an update for any characteristics that may be impacted by the inactivity. This lapse is from the completion of last production operation to the actual restart of production.

S

SiMoore

Thanks; Sorry if I confused anyone with this question -

I am approaching the question from the angle and my interpretation on Section 4.6 of the AS9102(B)

b. The FAI requirements may be satisfied by a partial FAI that addresses only the changes from a baseline part number provided all other characteristics were conforming on the Previous FAI and are produced by the Original Production Processes.

As we have had around 20 changes from the Rev 1 Drawing and Rev 1 Bill of Materials covering approx. - 7 Partials before the Drawing and the Bill of Material has been up-issued. My take on Section 4.6 here is that a Partial would not be acceptable and the number of changes have drastically changed the process and configuration of the Rev 1 data-pack.

Therefore as a way of clearing all the ''muddy waters'' should a FULL AS9102 be written with a new Baseline to the latest Configuration. As the current data-pack holds very little resemblance to the original data-pack used on the baseline.

I accept that all the changes have been captured in the many Partials written, but if the Customer wants a new Partial written to the Latest Drawings and Bill of Materials - surely the clearest and tidiest way of doing it is with a Full AS9102 as the drawing notes, dimensions and specifications have changed from the Rev 1 data-pack.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Note: Nothing in the standard prevents you from doing a Full FAIR.

Your next step needs to require the customer approval (if they are going to pay for it) or your internal organization. On this one you could go either way and meet the requirements of the standard - bottom line - who is paying for should be the question.

When completing Partial FAI's for Baseline Part Numbers, how does one classify a part to be a Baseline part number? For example, I am failure with 2 ways defined by the drawing. 1) Multiple dash numbers on the drawing (-101, -102, -103...). 2) There is a table on the drawing, calling out dimension "A" with differing lengths for example and correlating dash numbers.

What happens if you have completely different part numbers with several similar characteristics and part profile?

Thanks!

Big Jim

Super Moderator
When in doubt, err on the side of safety. Although it may not be technically required, with that many changes it would certainly be a good idea. Another approach, but not one I favor, ask the client if he is willing to pay for a full one. Keep a good record of their answer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Graphic Overlay/Membrane Switch Drawings Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Medical Device Software - Switch from Waterfall to Agile methodology Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
C Medical Device on/off switch symbolization IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
N Switch to 100% inspection when lot fails sampling? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
M Copper Potassium Crystals forming on Switch Contact Silver Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Marc Security holes enable attackers to switch off pacemakers World News 3
L Process Flow Chart for manufacturing of Light Switch requested Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
B Fluorescent Lamp Load Test for Switch in IEC 60669-1 Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Marc Report: Facebook e-mail switch changed address books After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
J What are the steps to transfer TS 16949 certification or switch registrars? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
J Power switch requirement and on/off touch panel marking IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Q Inspection Methods and Plans - Forgetting to Switch Sampling Levels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Emergency Switch - Mandatory for Medical Device? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
Q Career Switch - Aerospace and Medical Devices to Automotive and Consumer Electronics Career and Occupation Discussions 3
P Ethernet switch with powerstrip for conference table After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R On/OFF switch received from supplier - No CE marking but with Certificate CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
W What is Required to Switch from ISO 9001-2000 to ISO 13845 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
Marc Motorists switch satnav (satellite navigation system) on, brain off After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
A Where do you buy your 52100? Customer is having us switch materials again Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Wes Bucey Oops! Opportunity for mistake proofing? Worker flicks wrong switch World News 14
Marc Millions of Ford vehicles have fire risk part - Cruise-control deactivation switch World News 0
D Document Control - How can I switch to electronic signatures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
M Gage R&R for effort required to actuate the horn switch with a load cell Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
Marc German Parliament Considers Linux Switch After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Q Full or Partial FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Partial FAI - AS9102 -One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S IATF 16949 - Partial traceability of Aftermarket products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S CTS/CSE Waveforms Testing - Partial Recognition of IEC 60601-2-25 Standard by FDA IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B AS9102 - Completing Partial FAI's for Baseline Part Numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
P AS9102 full FAl or a partial FAI after production inactivity period AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Non ASTM Partial Immersion LGT emergent stem correction General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Partial Design Validation and changes to a critical supplier 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q Partial non applicability of ISO 9001 Cl. 7.1.5 (not having services)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Use of Harmonised Standards (Full or Partial) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Partial Implementation of ISO 9001 in a Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
T Is a Removable Partial Denture classified as Class I Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M "Partial Design" Designation and Applicable ISO 9001:2015 Exemptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Partial Compliance to an ISO Standard for Medical Device CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 13
K Partial FAI on Semi-Complete Parts question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Can we do a Partial Gamma Validation on a Similar Product (Syringes) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Partial Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Delivery Inspection. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D Delta or Partial FAI (First Article Inspection) - What are the differences? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Partial FAI form requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D Partial ISO TS 16949 Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
A Classification of Medical Device with Partial Compliance with a particular standard IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
P Part 11 Hybrid System - Partial paper based record but with e-signature Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
J AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) Full or Partial - Changes to NC programming Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S Error Accumulation - Combined Result without going to Partial Derivitaves Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
B Partial Joint (Hip Prosthesis) Replacement Class inquiry EU Medical Device Regulations 3