When to switch from a Partial AS9102 back to a Full AS9102

S

SiMoore

I am hoping someone could give me some advice or point me in the correct direction here.

I have been writing Aerospace reports now for some time and I have unfortunately run into a situation I haven’t seen for a long time now due to by client base and just want to clarify things.

The question I have been asked is – When do we switch from a Partial AS9102 back to a Full AS9102?

Background.

We completed a Full AS9102 on release of the product and over the past two years we have written numerous Partials due to the number of changes made by the Customer..
The Customer has finally updated the drawings and my Commercial department wants to know should we charge for a New Full AS9102 or just another Partial.

I believe it should be a New Full AS9102 as the Baseline Revision and Item List has changed.

Please can someone confirm if I am understanding the standard correctly.

Thanks

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Base on your statement - not sure if form, fit and function were changed.

Here are the requirements for a Full FAIR:

f. The organization shall perform a full FAI or a partial FAI for affected characteristics, when any of the following occurs:

1. A change in the design characteristics affecting fit, form, or function of the part.

2. A change in manufacturing source(s), process(es), inspection method(s), location of manufacture, tooling, or materials that can potentially affect fit, form, or function.

3. A change in numerical control program or translation to another media that can potentially affect fit, form, or function.

4. A natural or man-made event, which may adversely affect the manufacturing process.

5. An implementation of corrective action required to complete a previous FAI, as described in 4.4.

6. A lapse in production for two years shall require an update for any characteristics that may be impacted by the inactivity. This lapse is from the completion of last production operation to the actual restart of production.

S

SiMoore

Thanks; Sorry if I confused anyone with this question -

I am approaching the question from the angle and my interpretation on Section 4.6 of the AS9102(B)

b. The FAI requirements may be satisfied by a partial FAI that addresses only the changes from a baseline part number provided all other characteristics were conforming on the Previous FAI and are produced by the Original Production Processes.

As we have had around 20 changes from the Rev 1 Drawing and Rev 1 Bill of Materials covering approx. - 7 Partials before the Drawing and the Bill of Material has been up-issued. My take on Section 4.6 here is that a Partial would not be acceptable and the number of changes have drastically changed the process and configuration of the Rev 1 data-pack.

Therefore as a way of clearing all the ''muddy waters'' should a FULL AS9102 be written with a new Baseline to the latest Configuration. As the current data-pack holds very little resemblance to the original data-pack used on the baseline.

I accept that all the changes have been captured in the many Partials written, but if the Customer wants a new Partial written to the Latest Drawings and Bill of Materials - surely the clearest and tidiest way of doing it is with a Full AS9102 as the drawing notes, dimensions and specifications have changed from the Rev 1 data-pack.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Note: Nothing in the standard prevents you from doing a Full FAIR.

Your next step needs to require the customer approval (if they are going to pay for it) or your internal organization. On this one you could go either way and meet the requirements of the standard - bottom line - who is paying for should be the question.

S

SiMoore

Thanks - I thought as much.

Just wanted someone else's take on it

I appreciate the help

bduryea

Registered
When completing Partial FAI's for Baseline Part Numbers, how does one classify a part to be a Baseline part number? For example, I am failure with 2 ways defined by the drawing. 1) Multiple dash numbers on the drawing (-101, -102, -103...). 2) There is a table on the drawing, calling out dimension "A" with differing lengths for example and correlating dash numbers.

What happens if you have completely different part numbers with several similar characteristics and part profile?

Thanks!

Big Jim

Admin
When in doubt, err on the side of safety. Although it may not be technically required, with that many changes it would certainly be a good idea. Another approach, but not one I favor, ask the client if he is willing to pay for a full one. Keep a good record of their answer.

Top Bottom