When to use an Engineering Change Request (ECR)

K

kctrinh

Hi,

My name is Khanh and I would appreciated very much if someone could answer this question for me.

Does ECR suppose to be used for product that already released by Engineering?

Can you use ECR for stuff that has not been released?

Thank you & Happy New Year

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Engineering Change Request (ECR)

Hi,

My name is Khanh and I would appreciated very much if someone could answer this question for me.

I'm assuming that ECR = Engineering Change Request. Phil Crosby used the same abbreviation for Error Cause Removal, though.

In general an ECR is used post-release, but if it's useful before a product is released for production, use it. Happy New Year to you too. :drunk:

AndyN

Moved On
Thanks, Jim.

Also an ECR can be used when the design is 'frozen' prior to a late phase in the engineering process, for example when in the prototype/preproduction testing phase. Any any issues requiring changes which are uncovered during this late point in the process must be carefully controlled.

Y

Yew Jin

Although a product is officially released to production but we still need to "continuous improve on it", right?

When we improve the product we might change some components on them and we should document whatever we change in the line. ECR can help on this.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Hi,

Hi khanh,

My response is mainly from the healthcare perspective where, a lot of importance is attached to any changes. ECR or also called as ECN (Engg Change Notice) are exercised once the process is validated and any major changes thereafter.

The changes that could necessitate an ECR (examples not inclusive) are -

• New Material or Supplier for a validated product
• Major Change to a validated equipment like barrel of an molding machine
• Installation of a like to nonlike part of an equipment.
• Any change to the validated parameter
• Any changes in packaging of the product.
• Any change impacting regulatory filings
• Product Drawing changes.
• Change in test methodology / change in quality specifications.

56flh

Hi,

Our company uses the ECR/ECN for products after release and to make revisions to company forms. The ECR describes the requested change and the reason for the change. Once the change has been approved by our Product Engineering department an Engineering Change Notice (ECN) is issued to all department heads that the change will affect. With forms, the ECN is only issued to me (QA) since I maintain our procedures and company intranet where procedures are posted. With a form change I update the associated procedure to reflect current form number.

Prior to release, an item in the engineering/planning stage has log with all developement information recorded. If we used an ECR during the developement process it would really slow down the system.

Top Bottom