When to use Cpk or Ppk for a Process Capability Study?

Q

qakid

I am analyzing a process capability study and am not sure which capability index applies. For our thirty piece sample, I am looking at the Ppk because the subgroup is 1. Since the subgroup is one, I want to use the actual standard deviation.

Our other study is made up of thirty subgroups. The subgroup size is 10. For this study I am looking and the Cpk because it uses an estimated standard deviation.

Am I correct in how I am using the capability indexes?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Cpk or Ppk?

I am analyzing a process capability study and am not sure which capability index applies. For our thirty piece sample, I am looking at the Ppk because the subgroup is 1. Since the subgroup is one, I want to use the actual standard deviation.

Our other study is made up of thirty subgroups. The subgroup size is 10. For this study I am looking and the Cpk because it uses an estimated standard deviation.

Look here.

Stijloor.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

First of all, before applying any math to the issue, how were the samples taken? What is the distribution of the data? Do you have a run chart to determine if the output variation is truly random? How many factors of your "total variance equation" are influencing the measurement you are observing? Can you say it is just one is statistically significant, and therefore not multi-modal? Is it non-normal...or should it be? These questions have a lot more to do with the validity of Cpk or Ppk than the subgroup size.

You may want to attach your data...it helps us respond more specifically to your issues.

E

Ehsan Heidari

I use Ppk for initial samples of tools or for the first time of production and for the others I use Cpk.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Aside from all of the relevant questions bobdoering brings up, the whole idea of Cpk and Ppk is vastly overrated and almost as vastly misguided. The whole idea behind sampling should be to sample such that the difference between the population standard deviation and the sample standard deviation is negligible.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'll add to Bob and Jim's comments:

Your OK using Ppk for the 30 piece sample (although how the samples were taken - random and representative of the process) is FAR more important than which formula you use.

For your 30 sugroups of size 10, whether you use the Cpk formula or the Ppk formula it is important to understand if your process is homogenous. If it isn't Cpk will understimate your true performance. However, if you are only interested in the potential future capability then use Cpk.

Basically - even tho the formulas are fairly straightforward there is a whole lot to understand about capability indices and even more to understand process capability.

As Bob suggested - if your serious - please post your data, tell us about the process and what you are trying to know about the process and we can give you more specific help.

Unless of course you're checking the box on some form that requires a 'capability study'...in that case you are safe with either formula. : )

Q

qakid

Thank you for your help. Attached is data that I am working with. The sample size is 30 parts. Every 10th part was pulled from a 300 piece continuous run, so the parts are in the sequential order of which they were produced. There are 13 "X" dimensions on this part. They are all made with the same tool. I am looking at them individually and cumulatively. For my cumulative calculations, each part is a subgroup, so 13 measurements will make up a subgroup. I was looking at the Ppk for each of the 13 locations, and the Cpk for the cumulative capability. I appreciate any help/feedback. Thank you.

Attachments

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

Attached is data that I am working with. The sample size is 30 parts. Every 10th part was pulled from a 300 piece continuous run, so the parts are in the sequential order of which they were produced. There are 13 "X" dimensions on this part. They are all made with the same tool. I am looking at them individually and cumulatively. For my cumulative calculations, each part is a subgroup, so 13 measurements will make up a subgroup. I was looking at the Ppk for each of the 13 locations, and the Cpk for the cumulative capability.
What is the tolerance? Are these 13 independent measurement on the part (similar features on the same part), or 13 measurements of the same characteristic (such as several measurements of a diameter about the same diameter)?

What is your gage r&r for this dimension? There is very little variation within the reported 4 place resolution. It is not clear if any of the variation is from the process - and that it is all from measurement. Something to consider, unless the tolerance is much larger.

So far, so good - thank you for supplying the data!

Q

qakid

The Gage R&R %Tolerance is 7.63%. The dimension tolerance is 0.563 +/-.001. This feature is stamped into the part in 13 different locations using the same form tool.

Q

qakid

The Gage R&R %Tolerance is 7.63%. The dimension tolerance is 0.563 +/-.001. This feature is stamped into the part in 13 different locations using the same form tool.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Ppk vs Cpk: Big Differences - What conclusion can I reach about my process? Six Sigma 3
V CNC Process Validation Cpk Ppk & In-Process Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
M Calculation of Cpk and Ppk for an unstable process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
N Evaluating Process Stability - Unstable Processes - Cpk/Ppk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Process monitoring of portable & stationary oxygen units: Can we use Cpk, Ppk, SPC ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
B Ppk or Cpk - Preliminary Process Capability vs. Process Performance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
V When to use Cp Cpk and Pp Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
Sean Kelley Value of Ppk or Cpk when targeting thinner material Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B Cpk vs Ppk to look at the Capability by Fixture Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
V Customer requires CpK 2 and PpK 1.5 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
R Which of the following indicators is important for Operations - Ppk, Cpk, or Cpm? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
U Cpk and Ppk for different Countries/Standards Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
B Understanding why my CpK and PpK are low, and LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
S Which one is better to calculate, Cpk or Ppk? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
A How to calculate Cpk & Ppk if the tolerance changes during the period? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Barahir Formula Data Validation Set for Cp, Cpk, Pp & Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
F Please share an MS Excel sheet to calculate Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A How to interpret Minitab Results? What is difference in Cpk and Ppk values? Using Minitab Software 2
J Cpk & Ppk - Reviewing a PPAP Package - Some questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Ppk & Cpk - Within Subgroup Variation is always smaller than Total Variation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
S Pp/Ppk & Cp/Cpk - Which is appropriate for Long/Short Term Study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
R Cpk & Ppk and Differences between Minitab and an Excel Spreadsheet Results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S How is Cpk /Ppk value calculated in Minitab since I have subgroup size of 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Deciding on when to go for Cp & Cpk or Pp & Ppk Study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Understanding the relationship of Pp, Ppk, Cp, Cpk Six Sigma 4
S Cpk and Ppk Differences and Questions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
E Cpk and Ppk template wanted Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q ASQ CSSBB Question on Cpk and PPk , can you solve it ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
Q PPK, CPK of >= 1.67 Automotive Requirement and Auditing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P Individual & MR chart - Ppk or Cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
K Normality of distribution prior to Cpk and PpK Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Can Ppk value be greater than Cpk and if yes, under what conditions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
C Is it possible to get Pp,Ppk more than the within subgroup (Cp,Cpk's) indices? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Are Pp and Ppk more useful than Cp and Cpk as a benchmark for further studies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Using Pin Gages as a Measurement Tool for Ppk/Cpk studies Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
B Difference between Ppk (Preliminary), Cpk, Performance Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Real life example of the difference between Cpk and Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 0
N Cpk vs Ppk - Which should you use and How to Calculate Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
V Quality Control Index - We thought that Cpk or Ppk would be good choices Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Tim Folkerts Interpreting the common capability indices: Cp, Cpk, Pk, and Ppk. The Reading Room 5
J Machine issue in Cpk/Ppk and Control Plan - PPAP Submissions APQP and PPAP 5
D Use of an outlier in calculating Cpk/Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
N Analysis of non-normal stratified data for cpk/ppk? Rupture test Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
F Ppk/Cpk value with 1-sided specification - Only given a lower specification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Ppk/Cpk for geometrical true position of hole with MMC Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
Howard Atkins Validation of Cpk and Ppk calculations - Sheet to check Cpk and Ppk values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S What is the meaning of "k" in Cpk and Ppk? And Cpk vs. Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
A Capability Indexes for ISO/TS16949 - Cpk & Ppk after PPAP Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6