When to use "For Reference Use Only" on documentation

B

B Owens

I have a question as to use of "For Reference Use Only" documents as part of a record. As I understand this is a label for unofficial documentation not to be used as a work instruction or official data records. They are just added info. Recently we have been stamping "For Reference Use" on the copies of the electronic purchase orders and received packing list. Both of which are attached to our incoming QC testing records. Since we use our PO records to compare to the packing list as a measure of traceability (that we got what what was ordered) is this truly considered " For Reference Use Only"?

Thank you,

Brian

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: When to use "For Reference Use Only" on documentation?

I have a question as to use of "For Reference Use Only" documents as part of a record. As I understand this is a label for unofficial documentation not to be used as a work instruction or official data records. They are just added info. Recently we have been stamping "For Reference Use" on the copies of the electronic purchase orders and received packing list. Both of which are attached to our incoming QC testing records. Since we use our PO records to compare to the packing list as a measure of traceability (that we got what what was ordered) is this truly considered " For Reference Use Only"?

Thank you,

Brian
All QMS documents are for reference, no? "Reference" doesn't mean "doesn't need to be controlled." You need to determine which documents need to be controlled, apply suitable controls, and then by default everything else is not controlled. "Reference only" tends to be a red flag for auditors.

AndyN

Moved On
Re: When to use "For Reference Use Only" on documentation?

Never use "For reference only" UNLESS the document contains the appropriate information and is approved for use! If that isn't true, you don't want people referring to it! Simples...

Top Bottom