Where can I buy ISO 14001 - The Electronic Version

R

rbuckels

ISO14001 Request

I need the English edition of ISO14001, does anyone have the electronic edition?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Time out!

Your 1st post, you don't even bother to introduce yourself, and you ask for a free copy of a copywrited document?

Your profile states that you're an internal assessor. Why doesn't your employer give you a copy of the standard? As far as I can tell you might be someone who's trying to trip up someone by violating copywrite issues.

If you want to know about internal auditing or the standard on the cheap read thru the threads in this forum, you'll not find a better source on the Net.

Ask questions and you'll get answers. As for the other, most likely not a chance.

Well, I'll at least say Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Don't let Randy scare you. He may be as smooth as alligator skinn, but his disposition matches. And, he is usually right.

ISO 14001 is a copyrighted document. It is available for purchase from a variety of sources. Here in the US, the ASQ is a good source.

If you want a free copy, here are a couple of suggestions. First, sometimes you can talk your registrar into giving you a copy. Second, there is a thing called the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP). In MS, you can contact the Mississippi Technology Alliance. Their website is: http://www.technologyalliance.ms

I'm not saying they will, or can get you a copy, but you don't know unless you try.

Hope that helps.

R

rbuckels

ISO14001 Request

Hey guys. I know ISO14001 is copyrighted, and I have several hardcopies supplied by our company. What I was looking for was the electronic version that I could insert into a .pdf file with my other standards in order to do text searches. I have tried scanning my hardcopy with various OCR software, but it is a slow cumbersome process. I have an audit next week, just trying to save time.

Assuming (I may be wrong here. I am not a lawyer) that it is not a violation of copyright law to print out a hardcopy from a pdf file for personal use, then would it be a violaton to change the medium from hard to electronic or posess the electronic version if you already have the hard copy?

Randy

Super Moderator
Yeah, but it is against the law to pass on copywrited material to another person who hasn't paid for the right to use it. The term is "personal use". You're talking just a few bucks to purchase an electronic copy from ASQ or somebody.

BTW, it's just kind of a courtesy that's used around here to say "Hi, I'm such and so and Here's where I'm at and here's what I do, and all that kinda stuff" and then we here in the Cove say "Hi, welcome, nice to meet ya and all that stuff" :bigwave:

Apparently a copy of 14K isn't the only thing you appear to be short of.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
If you buy an electronic copy it will be a pdf. I haven't seen a version for sale which is in .doc or .txt format.

What I did some time back was sat down with my printed copy of the standard and typed the standard into a text file because I'm the same - I want a searchable document. It doesn't take very long to do.

You received a 'cool' reception as there were problems in the past - including threats of lawsuits - over ISO documents that were at one time posted here. We're just trying to stay out of trouble. I hope you understand.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
rbuckels said:
Assuming (I may be wrong here. I am not a lawyer) that it is not a violation of copyright law to print out a hardcopy from a pdf file for personal use, then would it be a violaton to change the medium from hard to electronic or posess the electronic version if you already have the hard copy?
I don't know the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, which might apply, so I can't really say. As I explained, I typed in my copy and that was it. I take it in the same vein as copying a song to a CD so I can take it in the car to listen to and not destroy the original (sun, heat, etc.)

I would be surprised if there would be a complaint (as if anyone would know anyway) if you typed in the text from a copy you paid for.

I haven't used OCR software in several years. If it's still as much of a pain as it was, it's not (to me) worth using.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Marc's use of hard typing from a purchased copy of the document certainly seems "fair use." [a legal term in copyright law.]

I absolutely agree the "workman worthy of hire is worthy of pay." Standards may seem expensive, but if you consider the effort that goes into creation, maintenance, and frequent revisions, the price is free compared to what it costs to duplicate the content with independent research.

Frequently, the electronic (pdf) copies of Standards are "password locked" to prevent copying or printing out the document. Often, though, corporations can buy multiple licenses and get the password for printing or copying.

Thus said, Buckles can go to ISO direct in Switzerland (via the internet http://www.iso.ch) and order an electronic pdf version for 71 Swiss Francs [ASQ only offers the hard copy in paperback.] Be sure to order English version! The download is about 4.2 meg.

In ISO's search engine, type in "ISO 14001:1996"
Any problem, send me an email and I'll give you the direct url to the ISO store and correct catalog page.

For the hypersensitive Kops out there - I never imagined Buckles was really expecting a free or pirate copy from the text of his initial message - what did he write that made you think he was? I just interpreted his request as from another overworked soul worried he's in over his head, who didn't think about the ramifications of his request.

P.S. Buckles - it's not good form to use hotmail addresses for business purposes and no one in the world needs ISO 14000 for personal purposes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Where do you buy your ISO and other various standards? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
E Where can I buy ISO-15223-1 CD with graphic symbols? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
I Where to buy ISO 10001, 10002, 10003 & 10004 (latest) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
B Where can I buy the ISO 9001:2015 Standard in pdf? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Where to buy ISO 3951-1 and ISO 3951-2 standard copy Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
P Where to buy ISO 13485:2012 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
G ISO 14040/44 - Are these 2 seperate documents and where to buy? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
K Where to buy ISO/IEC 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
A Where can I buy EN ISO 14971:2009 (Medical Device Risk Management)? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
Q Where to buy the ISO 13485 standard in a pocket sized book ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
S Where to buy an electronic copy of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Where can I buy a PDF version of ISO 9001-2008 that I can print? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Standard on Clean room - Where can I buy ISO 14644-1 and ISO 14644-4 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
N Where to buy a good interpretation of the ISO 9001:2008 standard Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
L Where to buy the ISO 19011 guidance document General Auditing Discussions 18
I Where to buy ISO/IEC 7810 and ISO/IEC 10373-1 standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
A I need the ISO 13485 Standard manual. Where can I buy it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M Where can I buy (purchase) copies of the ISO/TS 16949:2002 Standard fast? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Where can I buy the new ISO 14001:2004 Standard? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
D Where can I buy an AS9100 / ISO 9001:2000 Banner? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
C Where to buy a copy of ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
T Where can I buy ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Where can I buy ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Where to Buy ISO 900x:2000 Standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Where to buy Medical Grade Transformer IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
H AS9100D Cert question - Small machine shop - Where can I buy a certificate? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
C Where to buy the latest MHLW, Canada MDR, Brazil medical device regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J Where to buy English translation of Chinese Standard GB/T 14233 China Medical Device Regulations 5
M Where to buy AIAG Manuals ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
D Where to buy "canned" Medical Device QMS Procedures and Documents IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 12
M Where to buy various VDA Sandards VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
Douglas E. Purdy Where to buy Little Red Arrow Stickers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
D Where to buy IEC60601-1 Symbols IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
E Where to Buy IEC 62304 Software Life Cycle IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
S IEC 60601-1 3rd Gap analysis template TO BUY - Does anyone know where? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Where to buy standards such as IEC 62366:2007 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
S Where to buy EN9130? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D Where to buy Cheap Plastic Bins for use as Inspection Tubs Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
S DIN 29591 and DIN 29531 - Where to buy in English or French? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
C Where to Buy AS9003 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J Where to buy AIAG MSA 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Where to buy DIN 53504 in English Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M Where to buy VDA volume nr 12 in English Language VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
D Where to buy ISO9001:2008 Edition at the cheapest price ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Chennaiite English version of the JIS D5707 Standard - Where to buy Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A Vendor Rating System - IS:12040-1987 (India Standard) - Where to buy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W Where to buy referenced standards - ASQ Biomedical Auditor Certification - CBA exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
A Where to Buy SAE J2340 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
Anerol C Where I can buy a Jaegar Eye Chart ? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
D Where to buy MIL-DTL-11195G Paint tested to ASTM-D1654 with Certifications Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2