Where can I purchase OHSAS 18001?

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Integrated Management Systems

Just some thoughts on Health & Safety Management Systems. OHSAS 18001 was introduced because there is a demand for assessment of H & S Management Systems. Organizations want to have an independent review of a systematic approach to H & S in the same way that people want Third Party recognition of QMSs.

ISO did look at publication of an International standard for H & S Management Systems but I understand it was vetoed by, among others, the USA. Reasons are not known to me.

BSI in the UK developed a guidance document for H & S Management Systems, BS 8800. This was deliberately a guide and not certificated and hence OHSAS 18001 came to be (I'm not sure if it is only BSI who developed this, can someone fill the gaps?), sort of BS 8800 with all the "shoulds" replaced by "shalls".

As Marc mentioned Certification is possible but there is no Accreditation of Certification Bodies.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Accreditation

Both the RvA and ANSI-RAB are putting together an Accreditation Scheme for Certification of Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems.

Quality System Update, March 02 has an article about the RAB efforts in this area.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
OHSAS Accreditation

First OHSAS 18001 Accreditation (Certification)
DNV Italy has received accreditation for OHSAS 18001

On 21-03-2002 DNV Italy S.r.l received accreditation for OHSAS 18001 from SINCERT. The accreditation is in accordance with ISO Guide 66 and covers the following: EA sector 12 (Chemicals, chemical products and fibers) and EA sector 14 (Rubber and plastic products)

--------------------------------------------

DNV Rotterdam is also working for accreditation under RvA and we expect to hear good news in this area very soon.

C

Clive Stallwood

I am trying to collate information about the number of OHSAS 18001 certificates isssued world-wide,there is no equivalent to the ISO survey to aid in this. Can anybody help?
Thank you

D

David Mullins

toooo complex

Clive,
Better call up DNV and BSI.

In Australia alone (off the top of my head) you can have your safety system certified against:
1. SafetyMAP
2. AS4801
3. DNVs ISRS
4. NSCA 5star

And I'm sure there are others.

What I'm trying to point out is that safety systems, and their infrequent certification, can have a multitude of certification models. Merely looking at 18001 is extremely limiting.

It's rather like looking at AS9001 certifications. It barely scratches the surface of QMS certification.

C

Clive Stallwood

Thanks David for the info
I actually work for BSI! The problem I have is that I am constantly asked for this information, and find it very difficult to find it!
Nils Desperandum

D

David Mullins

WHAT I CAN TELL YOU IS....

From DNV:

Can an accredited certificate be issued for OHSAS 18001?
No, at this time there is no accreditation scheme based on OHSAS 18001 offered by any national accreditation body (see also question no. 9). All certification bodies can only issue non-accredited certificates when auditing against OHSAS 18001. This will change in the second half of 2001.

When can the client expect to be offered an accredited certificate?
At present there are two (2) accreditation bodies (i.e. Raad voor Accreditatie-RvA, Dutch council for accreditation and the Korean Accreditation Body-KAB) working towards having an accredited OHSMS scheme (based on OHSAS 18001) ready by the second half of 2001.

The Internation Accreditation Forum may be able to help you with this @
http://www.accreditationforum.com

As may United Kingdom Accreditation Service UKAS @
http://www.accreditationforum.com/default.asp
NOTE: OHSAS18001 does not appear on their list of accreditation standards.

In OZ you can find out certifications to various standards @
http://www.standards.com.au/jasanz/Supplierquery.asp
where you can pick a standard and it gives you a list of those certified (which is just what you need for OHSAS18001)

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Accredited OHSAS 18001 certificate

David,

as I mentioned before, SINCERT (Italy) has developed and Accreditation Scheme of Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems. DNV has attained accreditation there.

RvA and ANSI-RAB are developing their accreditation schemes as well. Probably the RvA will be operational soon.

So, yes one can attain an accredited certificate to OHSAS 18001 under the Italian Scheme. Obviuosly the organization seeking certification needs NOT to be in Italy.

Regards,

Randy

Super Moderator
Sidney,

Is DNV going to offer certs in the US and if so what will be the auditors qualifications?

Will DNV limit themselves to QMS types or will they actually require "REAL" safety experience as well as an auditing background?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
We have already issued several certificates to OHSAS 18001 in the US.

For the most part, we do not use QMS types to do EMS or SMS audits. Actually our EMS auditors do have specific environmental management experience. A couple of our qms auditors were cross-trained to perform EMS audits, but they are the minority in DNV's EMS roster.

We have already cross trained some of our EMS auditors to perform OHSAS 18001 audits. There is much common ground there. Actually, in many organizations, the environmental compliance officer is also in charge of health and safety.

I am not going to delve into the DNV requirements. However, in addition to have the direct experience in the field, it is obvious that OHS auditors need to have a good understanding of the regulatory requirements, e.g., OSHA, Cal-OSHA, etc . . . as it applies to the specific audits being conducted.

Top Bottom