Where did the name Elsmar come from?

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Elsmar?

Probably Elsmar Dead End Road either 1) didn't portray the right image the city was hoping for, or 2) didn't fit on those little green signs on the post on the corner.:lmao:

And his French visitors would laugh their socks off at 'cul de sac'......:lmao::lmao:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Elsmar?

Elsmar is an old street in Ft. Thomas. I think the houses are circa late 1930's to early 1940ish. My father bought the house around 1950. It was the last house on the street. Same story all of us older folks can tell. Woods all around us except going up the street. These days most of it is developed. It was close enough (about a mile) that we could hike through the woods, take the output branch of 'Three Creeks Meet' (as we called it, and which was a great place to catch crayfish) back then and we'd end up at the railroad tracks. Just over the tracks was Mary Ingles Highway (it is an old 2 lane highway, now route 8 and sometimes called the River Road) and then the Ohio river (right where there were 3 'ice breakers' and where in high school some of us went to swim).

It's mostly built up around there now. What was the horse farm next door is now a subdivision.

Elsmar_2.jpg

Elsmar_1.jpg

Which is why I bought where I am now. About 140 acres of woods and a couple horse pastures and hay fields. No river near by, but that's not a biggie to me. I don't want a house next door 5 feet from my window. Lots of critters and such. Yet, I'm less than 2 easy, low traffic miles from I-75, hospital close by, big shots live just up the road so there's even state police patrolling, all sorts of stores from Kroger to Meijer to Home Depot and Lowes, to - Well, you get the idea. It's not the 1950's but I like my little 'island'.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I grew up in a nice time in history, I think. I'm almost 60 years old and I'm very happy I grew up in a place like that. It was only a 1 mile walk to where I went to grade school (we didn't have school buses) if the parents couldn't or wouldn't drive. Even high school was just 1 mile more. Not real far away.

Not exactly Beaver Cleaver, but close enough. Milk was delivered and a green grocer cruised the street a few times a week in his truck. Obviously not much traffic being at the end of a dead end street, but even the street width. It's just a tad wider than 2 cars, so if a car is parked and two cars come upon each other one has to wait while the other passes.

I often reminisce (aka fondly recollect) about 'the good old days'. I think we all do now and again.

A

arios

Marc,

What you did creating this site is priceless. Many people (my self included)
finds this site very handy and useful.

In my humble opinion you and all of the people who contribute to this site deserve all of our admiration and respect. You guys have earned your place in history (recent history...OK?)

Take care and many thanks

Greetings from Chihuahua Mexico! Ajuaaa! :thanx:

Alberto

Top Bottom