Where do I begin for ISO 9K:2K?

F

Fire Girl

This makes me noxious! I don't even know where to begin!

Here's the thing. I would like to entirely change our system. I'm not pleased with how it was set up originally. The biggest thing is to streamline a lot of the paperwork. Has anybody done this yet? I just want some ideas of where I should start. Anyone, anyone?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

donnammurphy

Is your company a large organization? If so, you may want to plan a transition meeting with other facilities in order to utilize your resources and map out a plan so that all facilities are moving in the same direction. If no, my first advice would be to get a copy of the new standard and read. If you hare already familiar with the old standard, then I would not recommend any additional training. If your company is already certified to the 94 standard, then I would begin by reviewing your quality manual and comparing this to the new requirements of the 2000 standard. There are many decisions your company must make in regards to planning this transition. Quesions such as where do I start, do we need to change the structure of the documentation, how will we address training, what are some of the new requirements. My company is fairly large so I organized a tranisition planning meeting between 3 of our facilities. During this meeting, our agenda was to discuss the purpose and benefits, the new requirements in the 2000 std, actions item that were unclear and resources to tap to resolve these action items. After the meeting, we are all on the same path with our certification. Hope this helps..

------------------

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I think the first thing to do for advice here is to describe the system you have and what you don't like about it. Some facts about the company will help - how many people, product/processes, etc.

If we don't know what you have and what you do not like, we can't very well 'give our opinions'. We'll be 'shooting in the dark' - what we may opine may or may not be appropriate for your specific situation.

F

Fire Girl

Sorry, I did leave out some details.

We currently are registered to the 94 standard. I would like to change our system. It was already started when I got here and it consists of several levels of manuals, which makes it difficult to audit and maintain. I would prefer to go to a series of flow diagrams for work instructions and use our forms more to show work instructions. I think I would prefer to re-write the quality manual from scratch. Anybody, have any thoughts on any of this stuff?

(Thanks so far 'guys') :D

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
'Design' what you feel will be a 'good' system and an implementation plan. Then get buy-in from everyone and off you go.

It all depends upon how far you want to go. One client a few years back put every manager and supervisor through flow charting courses and they entirely re-did all their documentation. It was an expensive project but it was done during implementation and management supported it. They did it through process mapping.

On the other hand, I did a consultation at a company and found it had, when they underwent implementation back in 1993, started to convert a massive amount of documentation and the effort eventually petered out. By that time they essentially had 2 sets of books, so to speak, which essentially said the same thing - just in different ways. The old stuff was never obsoleted because there was no overall buy in nor would management fully fund the project. The project was almost 3/4 completed when it ground to a halt.

In one company they wanted to simplify. One thing we did was remove the 20+ controlled copies of the quality manual and put the master online (eliminated paper copies all together).

When I want to do something like this I draw up what I want to achieve and draft a project plan. I want to be ready to present 'Now' and 'Proposed' as well as how to get there.

If you're wanting to go through a serious effort to change to flow charts the best way I can recommend is what I recommend to clients: See http://Elsmar.com/Imp/sld195.htm - read through the process mapping section.

With clients very early I attempt to diagram the documentation system 'as it will be'. There are examples of this in the Flow_Charts.ppt file which is part of the Implementation Guide set of files. An example is http://Elsmar.com/pdf_files/Doc_Structure.pdf

I try to press clients to embrace flow charts, as most who know me know I'm a flow chart 'nut'.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G New to ISO 9001 - Where to begin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
J Where to begin to move our company towards ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
supadrai Forced into Regulatory Affairs Role - Where do I begin? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
F Where does Contact begin for Biocompatability? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Where to begin defining and monitoring Quality Metrics in a Machine Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
J Risk Management - Where to begin? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
T Implementing a Kaizen Team - Where Should I begin? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
R MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) - Where to begin when setting up a system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
GStough Where to begin - creating a Quality Plan for Class I Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
H Auditing Lean as a process - Where to begin? Internal Auditing 9
T Changing Existing Quality Culture/Program - Where to Begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Quality program, where to begin? One man machine/mold shop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 13
C where 2 begin? Info Mgmt Blueprint for internal Communication & knowledge xchange Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
CarolX Where does Quality begin? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 36
M Research and Development Process - Where does research end and development begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
N Where to find Regulations for Reprocessing and Reuse of Single-Use Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
H Where to get EK MED 1927/16 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Where to find Guidance Class II Amendment Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
O EN 301 489-1 and EN 301 489-17 - Where do we get the information of the Published versions? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
qualprod Records where apply and stop recording everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Where to place CE/label in Sterile IVD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 39
K No IFU, where the requirements would go? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 25
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Implementing ISO 20000-1 - Where to start Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
qualprod Statistics - Where to start in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Where can I find examples of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 6
A What if Contract Manufacturers does not have an ISO 13485 certificate? Where will the NB audit take place, at legal mfg. site or contract mfg. site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
J Where can I find the latest update to Reach and ROHS? REACH and RoHS Conversations 7
D Where (in US) can I get the VDA Auditor Edition book? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
S Where to get online AS standard audit certification classes? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Where I can get a copy of either the 3rd or 4th edition of UL544? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
G Where to find Proficiency Test provider for photometrics (spectral %R, %T, photo density) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Marc Quiz - Where did the idea of an assembly line come from? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
F Quality Objectives - Where in the QMS Quality Objectives should be located ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Where to obtain a calibrated DICOM image? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Where to get information - M6 per WA900 Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Where did FDA 510(K) form 3654 go? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
D China - Where I can get NMPA complete structure/organogram chart and GB/YY format list China Medical Device Regulations 1
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13