SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Where do I start when I Internal Audit the Quality Management System?

B

baby12

Where do I start when I audit the quality management system? I mean, must I start with documentation or operation? (Audit Path)

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Auditing quality management system

where do i start when i Audit quality management system i mean must i start with documentation or operation?(Audit Path)
I guess you are dealing about an internal audit of your organization.
Quality Management System is the whole system that the organization has put in place. If you are performing an audit for each process of QMS you should examine inputs and ouputs of the audited process, documentation , training , tools, measurements, records, link with support process, I mean the turtle diagram approach:bigwave:

DannyK

Re: Auditing quality management system

Begin with familiarizing yourself with the process. Read any procedures that are available and note any objective evidence requirements.
Refer to the standard that applies to the QMS and ensure that all requirements are being addressed.

The process approach is the most effective method for auditing as mentioned by qusys.

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi :bigwave:
In our end, what I normally do from what I learned from my tutor is that I begin with the performance of the QMS, i.e. quality objectives.. If the quality objectives are met you might ask how to sustain such standing and/or improve from the current level to a much higher level. If the quality objectives are not met, then ask them, what is your corrective action for unmet goals...that could be a starting point to ask about their current process, competence of personnel, etc.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:

T

Ted Schmitt

I like starting from the point when my organization receives a quotation from our customers... how this quotation is answered, checked, and answered, hopefully then we´ll get an order .... how is this order checked with what was quoted....etc... factory capacity... can we make it in the customer needs... move on to Purchasing... did we have to buy anything for this order? Where the suppliers qualified? Move on to incoming inspection of raw material... records? inspected with what documents? Moving to production.... drawings? specs? machine capacity? Operator capacity? Assembly... specs? Assembly instructions? Final inspection? Packaging? Transport? Shipping?
That cycle finished... how did the customer receive his order? was he happy? is he going to buy again?
Alot of this info will feed Management Review which you can audit at the end...

There are alot of points (4.2.3 / 4.2.4 / 7.6 / and a bunch more) which i left out during the whole process but it´s to give you an idea of how I like to audit...

Auditing this way, I get a feel of the process approach in an organization...

Hope this helps...

qusys

I like starting from the point when my organization receives a quotation from our customers... how this quotation is answered, checked, and answered, hopefully then we´ll get an order .... how is this order checked with what was quoted....etc... factory capacity... can we make it in the customer needs... move on to Purchasing... did we have to buy anything for this order? Where the suppliers qualified? Move on to incoming inspection of raw material... records? inspected with what documents? Moving to production.... drawings? specs? machine capacity? Operator capacity? Assembly... specs? Assembly instructions? Final inspection? Packaging? Transport? Shipping?
That cycle finished... how did the customer receive his order? was he happy? is he going to buy again?
Alot of this info will feed Management Review which you can audit at the end...

There are alot of points (4.2.3 / 4.2.4 / 7.6 / and a bunch more) which i left out during the whole process but it´s to give you an idea of how I like to audit...

Auditing this way, I get a feel of the process approach in an organization...

Hope this helps...
If you also customize this approach for a specific product, you will have the trail for the product audit requested from ISO TS . I agree with what you said in the last sentence, that this approach helps to have the pulse of how much the process approach is real in the QMS of the audited organization. Most of times the issues are in folds of an organization, in the so-called grey areas between two different processes.:bigwave:

Last edited:
Where do I start when I audit the quality management system? I mean, must I start with documentation or operation? (Audit Path)
Can we assume that you've had some kind of auditor training? If so, then the next step is to determine what the scope of the audit, criteria and objectives are. Before you determine anything more about reading documentation etc, you must have these items identified. Others have waded in with their ideas about starting what appears to be a system wide audit (much like a CB audit) but until we have knowledge of the scope and criteria and why you are doing the audit. Please let us know what those are and then we can give you much more helpful feedback on where to start...

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
type in browser: google.com
type into the search field: iso 19011
and check the first link given.

:popcorn:
Sz.

Aaaandyyy --- :lmao:

D

darkopsghost

All of what has been posted above is the same methodology that I have used; start at the beginning and work all the way to the end, including Management Review, both at the beginning of the process all the way to the end resultant; was the customer happy?

Think of the items that you were asked during the last audits, whether Customer, Prime, or Registrar Audits.

Also, don't forget to look at findings from previous audits, either internal or other. Check this area, to see if your findings and your corrective actions were correct and further more correct.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Internal Audit of Customer Specific Requirements Checklist - Where to start? Internal Auditing 9
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
A Implementing ISO 20000-1 - Where to start Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
qualprod Statistics - Where to start in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
R QMS and ISO - Where to start? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
S ISO 17025 - Help in Getting accreditation- Where to start from ISO 17025 related Discussions 12
Moncia Design FMEA - Where to Start FMEA and Control Plans 20
M Where does Document Revision Control Start? Rev 0 or Rev 1 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
P Where to start to helping other companies to get ISO IEC 27000? Consultants and Consulting 1
M APQP and PPAP for Beginners - Where do I start? APQP and PPAP 48
K Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Planning - Where to start? Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 20
L Where to Start to Completely overhaul a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Where to start Maintenance Function Kaizen Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
A ISO 9001 to ISO 17025 where to start ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
G Customer Property Cl. 7.5.4 - Where does ISO 9001 stop and ISO 27001 start? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
W Where to start an Auditing Career? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
B Business Process Analyst - Where to start and what actions to take ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D ISO 26262 (Road Vehicles - Functional Safety) - Where to start implementation? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
N ISO 9001 Implementation - I am still confused on where to start ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
S Planning and Costs to Implement ISO / IEC 27000 - Where to start? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
G Quality Objectives - Where to start defining Quality Objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J Taking over for former QA... Where to start? How to proceed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K How and where to start as Quality Management Representatives QMR (ISO9001:2008) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Six Sigma Project Implementation - Where to Start? Six Sigma 5
P LEAN Implementation Step By Step - Where to start? What to include? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 25
P Transitioning to AS9100 Revision C - Where to start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
M Development of Medical Software for 510(k) - Where to start IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
C Old QMS... NEW QM.. I don't know where to start Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 57
M Where to Start when Implementing ISO Standards in Rotational Molding ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
N Putting SOPs in place in preparation for ISO certification - where to start? Service Industry Specific Topics 5
S Setting up a Scale Calibration Service lab - Where to start? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
L Compliance to 21 CFR Part 11 - Where to start?? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 20
D FDA 21 CFR 820 - Manual we might use as a template or where to start 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
Anerol C Where should I start as the person responsible for the calibration laboratory? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J Global Lean challenge - Where and How do I start the alignment process? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
M Topical Anesthetic for Dental use - Where to start to get it registered? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
S New to ISO 9001 - Where to start implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 69
Q Where to Start to Implement ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 159
S Implementing ISO 9001:2008 - Where to Start? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
M Planning for ASQ certification - How & Where to start. Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
Q ISO 9001 Certification - How and Where Do I Start? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Process Improvement Team - Where to Start - Looking at Casting Inclusions Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 19
J ISO 10993 Compliance - Where to start? Class I Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
X Where to start with ISO 13485 and Registrars near Seattle ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Six Sigma Green Belt Qualification - A Project and Where to Start? Six Sigma 12
Z ISO 27001 Information Security - How to write documentation and where to start Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 30
Q QS9000 Tier 2 for 12 Years - Transitioning to ISO9001 - Where do I start? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
H Describing Processes - Where do I start? (student) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
ScottK Detecting non-visible defects in machined brass - Where to start? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 19