Where do the definitions of the types of processes come from?

blueboat

Starting to get Involved
Hello Friends,
Could anyone tell me in which standard or document the definiations of COP, SP, MP are officially proposed? And in which standard the processes are requsted to be classified according to these three types?
What will happen if an organizaiont running IATF16949 doen't follow this requirement? Would it be a nonconformity or even a major nonconformity for the auditor?
Thanks.

Best Regards
Richard

Last edited:

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
It is not a requirement, but a practice followed by organizations. There is a requirement to consider importance of processes in internal audits. This practice helps in meeting that requirement.

It is up to your organization whether to use this approach or whichever appropriate to your organization.

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Richard,

I haven't a clue what those acronyms stand for and I cannot find them in 3.1 of 16949.

You cite that COP, SP and MP are requirements. Where is this requirement?

blueboat

Starting to get Involved
Richard,

I haven't a clue what those acronyms stand for and I cannot find them in 3.1 of 16949.

You cite that COP, SP and MP are requirements. Where is this requirement?
Hello Johnny, COP, SP and MP are short for customer oriented processes, support processes and management processes respectively.
It's not a requirement in IATF16949, however, vast majority of the organizations running this standard adotp this approach/practice to determine and manage their processes. That's my question what will happen if a organization doesn't follow this practice. Besides, we have probably all seen the definition of these three types. I'd like to know where exactly they come from? Thanks.

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks Richard.

It's not an IATF 16949:2016 requirement. Reminds me of how automotive is hooked on 8D problem solving, it's not a requirement of the standard but almost all the players use it.

The use of COP, SP and MP aren't a customer specific requirement by any chance?

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
In my professional experiences I find that within most organizations that "use" these terms and approach, senior leadership and members of management frequently have no idea what the terms mean and using them/delineating as such rarely provides any benefit to the organization (usually only confusion.

Here's a past discussion on this topic. ..
COP (Customer Oriented Process), MOP and SOP Examples and Explanation

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Last edited:

blueboat

Starting to get Involved
I found the technical document named "ISO/TS 16949:2002 IMPLEMENTATION GUIDE", the definiation of COP and the IATF suggested 10 COPs were all mentioned in it.

Its number is CQI-7. The subsequent updated version is named "CQI-16 ISO/TS 16949:2009 Guidance Manual"

Does any know the number or name of the guidance document for IATF16949?

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
There is no CQI standard available now for IATF16949:2016. Instead AIAG's "IATF memory jogger" is available for guidance.

You can refer AIAG's website for the same and updates in case it decides to again develop a CQI/another standard for IATF16949.

Top Bottom