Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001?

BeaBea

Involved In Discussions
I have trouble viewing marketing (market surveying) and advertising (raising interest) as processes. Easy to make the case that they are...but is it worth the time to do so? I think not.

I would (did) simply mention in the Sales process that the process may or may not include supplementary actions such as marketing, advertising, trade shows or similar...and that all of these are part of the sales process prior to quoting. 10,000 feet level, not details...literally a single sentence in the document...this gives marketing, advertising and sales all the freedom they want (and they want a lot).

As for false claims and overpromises...that should be managing people with people, not managing with documents.
If you want a measurable for this, it will be a subset in the complaint log.
Ninja, I agree completely with what you're saying! Thank you for your input!!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BeaBea

Involved In Discussions
Even if ISO doesn´t exactly address marketing, nor prohibits to include it.
In fact is a good idea to include it.
It can be included before the sales process or maybe in parallel, also it can be tasked with interesting kpis, e.g. # of attended shows, #number of potential customers captured, monthly advertising, etc.
Sure, it can be a process , I added this process in one organization.
It can help in benchmarking the company.
It is convenient to have it into the system, this way is audited under ISO and people in that process will feel the compromise
to carry out their activities.
My two cents.
I agree to include them. Our company is all about recognition and making every person feel appreciated and worthy this also gives direction of responsibilities and gives goals and forecasts... I do have them included as being associated with customer follow up, surveys, and analytics!
I just didn't know how to add the advertising aspect (we do a lot of charity work to show community services and get our name out and recognition to obtain more personable business relationships)
I see what your saying, I appreciate the input!

BeaBea

Involved In Discussions
Marketing determines (upcoming) customer needs for design of services and products. Advertising explains to prospective customers how the organization's services and products could fulfill their needs - better than the competition perhaps. Marketing may also own the process for obtaining and analyzing customer feedback.

And yet, many "ISO systems" omit these processes.

Imposing procedures on our colleagues with the hope that they will properly (ISO-wise) establish these processes is not the way I recommend we develop our organizations to fulfill the requirements of ISO 9001.

Instead determine what processes already exist. Work with the process owner asking auditor-style questions (that is to show a genuine and forensic interest in the answers) to determine the objectives of their process, who is involved, what and from whom are the inputs, who does what to add value to these inputs and what is the output and to whom does it go. Capture the results of this interview in a deployment (swimlane) flowchart so all involved in the process can see who does what so the process fulfills its objectives. In doing this we discover and link to software, forms and notes that act as data collection devices, instructions or memory joggers. This key is to reflect the process as it actually works.

Much better than creating works of fiction.

Once we have the procedures accurately documented to the extent necessary for the effective planning, resourcing and control of the process we can compare each flowcharted procedure with ISO 9001 and check off the clauses which are relevant to these three important processes.
Got it! Thank you for that.. That helped regroup my thought process on how to organize my priorities.
I am a lone ranger at the company taking on the entire QA department alone, so its helpful to get some feedback from people in the same profession.
I'm actually creating an entirely new QMS for this company, the only thing we have documented are procedures and work instructions. so I'm working a little backwards. and my first step was to draw out the entire company business flow so i can see the big picture and figure out what processes i need to create to align with the ISO requirements. I have the QA aspect of things, Internal audits, training, record keeping.. but now I'm trying to figure out what major bucket process to capture for the quality of the product and services. SO when I came up with all my buckets I realized our Marketing team didn't really play a part in the "business flow" besides the 'pre-sales' of advertising to the government of our certifications as a small business..
As i went through these threads of discussions i noted that i can fit them at the back end to include them with customer feed back and surveys and analytics of satisfaction... however at the front end is where i got sort of confused because they come BEFORE the inputs of my overall business flow diagram.
I'll take what you said and as i start chipping away at the little details I'm sure it will all piece together..

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
I have trouble viewing marketing (market surveying) and advertising (raising interest) as processes. Easy to make the case that they are...but is it worth the time to do so? I think not.

I would (did) simply mention in the Sales process that the process may or may not include supplementary actions such as marketing, advertising, trade shows or similar...and that all of these are part of the sales process prior to quoting. 10,000 feet level, not details...literally a single sentence in the document...this gives marketing, advertising and sales all the freedom they want (and they want a lot).

As for false claims and overpromises...that should be managing people with people, not managing with documents.
If you want a measurable for this, it will be a subset in the complaint log.
I agree with John, Tagin and Ninja.
Whatever it fits into the system, as a process or activities inserted in sales,
but this task (Marketing) has many outputs which are very useful and needed for any business.
and for sure, the results of outputs are important to take into account, like any other process

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
BeaBea,

May I suggest you get out of weeds? Forgive if I’m wrong but you should not be thinking that you are in your own.

Instead you are helping top management to study how their organization already works as a system to get work, do work and get paid. At 30,000ft that is the core process that allows your company to exist. Top management will help you to determine the key processes in their core process for obtaining new clients and fulfilling their needs (fulfilling the mission perhaps). And then making sure they promptly pay for it!

You can then ask them to name the person who knows how each of the (key) processes works. These are your processes owners with whom you can work in capturing accurately who does what to fulfill the objectives of each process. Other key processes already exist for supporting and improving the core process. Name the owners of these processes too.

Let everyone understand they already work together as a system for finding and satisfying clients.

Sure, you’ll find a few nonconformities along the way where you need to work with the process owner to design a new process or new control for an existing process.

I am pretty sure you are not alone.

...besides that you have all of us at the Cove to help you succeed.

John

BeaBea

Involved In Discussions
BeaBea,

May I suggest you get out of weeds? Forgive if I’m wrong but you should not be thinking that you are in your own.

Instead you are helping top management to study how their organization already works as a system to get work, do work and get paid. At 30,000ft that is the core process that allows your company to exist. Top management will help you to determine the key processes in their core process for obtaining new clients and fulfilling their needs. And then making sure they promptly pay for it!

You can then involve them in determining the processes within the core process. Then ask them to name the person who knows how each of the (key) processes works. These are your processes owners with whom you can work in capturing accurately who does what to fulfill the objectives of each process.

Let everyone understand they already work together as a system for finding and satisfying clients.

Sure, you’ll find a few nonconformities along the way where you need to work with the process owner to design a new process or new control for an existing process.

I am pretty sure you are not alone.

...besides that you have all of us at the Cove to help you succeed.

John
Thank you John! :) you make me feel so welcome!!
I just meant I feel alone in the sense that everyone is still learning the difference between a process and a procedure so its difficult to converse the complexity of process mapping with my coworkers here, as they don't understand the QA world let alone ISO requirements, but I'm teaching everyone slowly and they're catching on in time..
Sounds like the cove is where my peeps are :)

Thank you again for all your help and explanations, I'm so glad I found this forum, everyone has been very helpful!

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Likely what you meant, but just to nudge further in the direction...
Your peeps are in the office with you...Feeling alone, acting alone, makes you be alone. You're a central part of a team...and all of your teammates are employees at your company.
We're happy to be a resource and sounding board, and even friends...but don't consider us your ISO launch team...your team is in-house, else you'll fail...

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
I find that when I explain a process is work and a procedure is the way that work is the done most folk get it.

But, agreed, not so much from reading the standard!

qualprod

Thank you John! :) you make me feel so welcome!!
I just meant I feel alone in the sense that everyone is still learning the difference between a process and a procedure so its difficult to converse the complexity of process mapping with my coworkers here, as they don't understand the QA world let alone ISO requirements, but I'm teaching everyone slowly and they're catching on in time..
Sounds like the cove is where my peeps are :)

Thank you again for all your help and explanations, I'm so glad I found this forum, everyone has been very helpful!
BeaBea

Have you done a SIPOC excercise for your departments (processes)? , once is done, you will have a clear
understanding of what your people produce and can determine if is a process or just activities into other processes.

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
I agree that marketing is not typically an area that is audited on its own, however it can definitely come to the spotlight during an audit. The company is responsible to ensure that they can meet the claims for its products and services (8.2.2). I have been involved in audits where new products were not through the whole design process and were being marketed as being commercially available. Furthermore marketing might be involved in the release of Product Data sheets onto a company's website. Lastly, after you become certified how you promote that you are ISO certified is reviewed as there are rules that you need to follow.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Where and How Does Marketing Fit In? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 28
A What if Contract Manufacturers does not have an ISO 13485 certificate? Where will the NB audit take place, at legal mfg. site or contract mfg. site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
P Warning Letter 1999 - Where does the FDA make older warning letters available? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Where does our regulatory responsibility end? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K Where does the FDA post its various compliance dates? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Where does Quality Authority come from? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
J Where does process validation fit within design & development? Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
Q When does the FDA deem something "where appropriate"? 21CFR820.30(g) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
M Where does Document Revision Control Start? Rev 0 or Rev 1 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
D Where does the QMS (Quality Management System) fit in your organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Q Where does 5S technique fit into ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Mikael Where does OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) belong? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
F Where does Contact begin for Biocompatability? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
somashekar Where does RoHS stuff get audited by CB's? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S IEC 60601-1 3rd Gap analysis template TO BUY - Does anyone know where? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Where does 20% Lot Qualification Rule Come from? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
G Customer Property Cl. 7.5.4 - Where does ISO 9001 stop and ISO 27001 start? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
R Where does the definition of ME (Medical Electrical) Equipment originate? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
J Quality Organization - Does it matter where it reports to? Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
I Where does it state Supplier Corrective Action is required? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
J Where does Lean Six Sigma Originate? Six Sigma 5
G 12 or 13 Men - Where does the extra man come from? Brain Teasers and Puzzles 5
S Where does least significant digit come into play? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
T Organizational Charts - Where does the Quality Assurance Manager fit in Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
T Does anyone know where I can view Bac5300 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 30
H Where does the 16949 number in TS16949 come from? ISO Numbering System IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Wes Bucey Where does your hospital rank on quality? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 20
J GMP CFR 21 Part 210 or 211 - Where does GMP address Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A Where does one find the complete list of ISO standards? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
D Does anyone know where to buy an instant read dosimeter? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C What is Money for? Where does Barter come into play? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
E Where Does One Get Customer Specific Requirements? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 26
CarolX Where does Quality begin? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 36
M Research and Development Process - Where does research end and development begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
M Attribute Charting - Where does Cp and Cpk come into the equation? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
L Does anyone know where I can get documentation for the PUMA method. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
E SOP or system Work Instruction? Controlled Document - Where does one draw the line? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Number of Distinct Data Categories:nDC: Where does the constant 1.41 come from? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Does anyone know where Guide 25/Palcan Training is available? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
R Internal audit schedules - Where does it say that I need an annual schedule? Internal Auditing 13
C Where to place CE/label in Sterile IVD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G New to ISO 9001 - Where to begin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
K No IFU, where the requirements would go? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 14
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5